help with filter & discus setup

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Nadeem, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Nadeem

Nadeem

Hi everyone, i want to setup a discus tank, i received a canister filter from a friend, i have never owned a cannister filter before so please excuse my ignorance, there is two pipes 'IN' and 'OUT', the 'out' pipe is obvioulsy for the water to put back in the tank, but the 'IN' pipe has a small powerhead connected to the end of it, so the cannnister has its own power cable and the powerhead has its own power cable, so last night i put the powerhead in the water, and then plugged in the cannisters power, but nothing hapenned, then i plugged in the powerheads power and it started working, it keeps running even if i take out the cannisters power. so how does this work, is there something wrong here????

other thing i need some help with is setting up discus tank, what colour backround would bring out the colour of discus nicely? and what kind of substarte does one use in a discus tank?

Thank You guys

2. Guest

3. Vis

Vis Gerhard

OK
    Power head + power = on
    Cannister + power = on

Not sure why your in pipe have a power head on it though. Can you remove it?

Pics will help.

4. OP
    Nadeem

Nadeem

nope.
    cannister + power = nothing
    powerhead + power = on

Sorry, i have no pics with me now, its a fluval204 cannister filter, yes i can remove the powerhead from the cannisters pipe, but i am sure if i do this, nothing at all will happen, is the cannister designed to suck water in without the powerhead being there????
    if i plug in the cannister and not the powerhead, there is nothing happening. so basically, it seems like the powerhead is running the whole thing, is this even possible.

5. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Assume this is purchased second hand?

It seems as if the powerhead is an addition to increase the flow. Not such a good idea, in my opinion.

When you turn the power to the canister on, it's not working because maybe the other pump isn't letting water through. Alternately, the pump inside the canister is bust, hence the other pump.

6. OP
    Nadeem

Nadeem

ah fantastic man, thank you zoom, so tonight i will remove the powerhead and then put in the cannisters plug and see if it runs, if not then the cannisters pump is bust.

so lets say the cannisters pump is bust, can i keep running it with the powerhead or do i have to have the cannister repaired.

Thanks again Zoom, top notch stuff.

7. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

You could run it like this, but might be a better option to replace. Especially for a discus tank. no point in having half decent filter on this tank

8. SHiBBY

SHiBBY DIY Guru

I agree. At first I thought that the canister might perhaps have a built in UV filter hence nothing happening when you plug in the canister alone, but Google states otherwise. Luckily spares are readily available so you shouldn't have problems! Good luck!

I finished my new sump filter last weekend and CAN NOT BELIEVE the difference it has made to my tank! My fish is (no, the grammar is not incorrect. I only have 1 fish) so relaxed now... Hopefully I can also keep Discus in it someday...

9. Singularity

Singularity

the powerhead is simply there to prime the cannister, that means that it makes it easier for the filter to startup. The powerhead fills the canister (primes it). Try to switch the canister on when the powerhead has filled it, and then switch the powerhead off and it should still run, that is unless the filter`s pump is broken and the powerhead on the intake was a quick fix.

10. Altum

Altum Sponsor

If you paid very little money for it, or got it for free..likelihood it's a bust canister filter..and previous owner just had it work, according to his point of view though, by powering it with the additional pump on intake.

PS After I called you, the above scenario does make sense

Be sure to let me know!

Recent Posts