help struggling with tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Javei, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Javei

Javei

I dd not want to open a threat a about it but I guessed this could help. I upgraded to a 250 liter tank from 90liters. All my fish was added and I treated with seachem stability. I lost 8 fish in the last week. I tested the water and saw nitrites, all the trouble comes from that. Mark at petstop gave me special blend and niiite-out II. I used it yesterday.I then saw my sailfin molly have finrot or fungus on his fin. Someone at another petshop gave me tetra fungi stop. He also said I must do a 50% water change and throw in one hand full of salt. Any other advice??? Please???

2. Guest

3. eros111

eros111

Do the water change and use the salt at 1g :1L - so you will use 250g - make sure it is pure salt - ( aquarium salt). Hope the nitrites have disappeared after you added the medicine - but the water change will sort it out quickly as an extra.Continue with the anti fungus medication as well - watch them carefully and see what happens.
    Did you not get high ammonia or nitrate readings when you did the test?

4. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

If i was you i would start over and start slow,fin rot is a combination of bad water quality and stress.

I learned the hard way,i started with a 30L way back and lost all my fish.I upgraded to a 100L and i found that convicts are the only fish i could keep.I got a 300L which i gave away later and then finally got my current 500L.All my fish are healthy so far,haven't lost 1 fish apart from the sick firemouth and 40 or so guppies that became Oscar food :p

A product on the market isn't going to keep your nitrites down,you need to figure out what's causing it and fix it asap.

How many fish do you?

What type of fish?

How many filters do you have?

How many LPH does each one do and how big is each one?

What substrate are you using?

Do you have any plants?

What decorations/ornaments do you have in the tank and what are they made of?

When did you start having problems?

5. OP
    Javei

Javei

Nitrites went down from 0.2 to 0.05
    I think its the bacteriee not enough to handle my fish load.

6. OP
    Javei

Javei

5 neons
    4 glowlights
    2 harlequin rasboras
    1 leopard danio
    1 chinese algae eater
    1 golden algae eater
    10 mollies
    8 platies
    5 swords
    4 guppies
    3 gouramis

7. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

tank isnt cycled and all those fish at once makes it even worse, 10-20% wc daily would help

8. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

That's allot of fish,might be overstocked.

9. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

nah its not overstocked for 250L. but its alot for an uncycled tank

10. dash

dash

Hi all.
    I hope you guys can help me out here. I have been speaking to @Javei about his problem. His mollies, guppies and platies are dropping like flies on a regular bases. I think he added them too quickly to the new tank and may be stress or ammonia poisoning got to them? He said that they had some kind of fungus on the body. He added some Tetra anti fungus or some thing to the water. I told him not to add any more medication as I think the water is the problem. I think the fish immune system has been compromised due to stress and this is why they are picking up all these new infections.

I also advised to feed a good nutritional food as the food in a plastic bag may not be scientifically formulated for his fish. I told him not to add any Sault with out checking with you guys as he got some cories in their and from what I know they do not like Sault besides, he says his ph is about 8. He does not have any bio filter material in the filter so I advised him to go get some kind of bio balls etc. Besides doing regular water change here 10% at a time I don’t know how ells to advise him. Any help please?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

As said before...Stop adding fish, do your water changes, get something like Bio Balls or Seachem Matrix for bio filtration, stop adding chemicals, buy decent food.

Your stocking level is still ok but you need to stabilise this tank. Keep it clean and check for dead fish regularly. It will settle down. And once it has:

5 neons (depending on the temp of the tank, remove these or add 5)
    4 glowlights (increase the number to about 10)
    2 harlequin rasboras (increase the numbers to 10)
    1 chinese algae eater (remove and replace with true SAE)
    1 golden algae eater (remove and replace with true SAE...SAE should be minimum of 4)
    10 mollies (check your M/F ratios)
    8 platies (check your M/F ratios)
    5 swords (check your M/F ratios)
    4 guppies (check your M/F ratios)
    3 gouramis (depending on type but if these are dwarf gourami, from personal experience, stick to a pair)​

12. Neels

Neels Striped Kribensis

@dash I agree with you regarding
    The tank is busy cycling, so the best thing is to leave the setup as is and try to finish the cycling with as little stock loss as possible.

Advice:
    -Try to do a 10% daily water change with a syphon, sucking up all uneaten food, fish faeces, etc. Treat new water with water conditioner.
    -Minimize feeding for a week or so. 1x feeding a day should suffice.
    -Get some bacteria in a bottle and dose as recommended. (I use Seachem Stability for 7 days on all newly setup tanks). Bacteria in a bottle dosing should be done after the new water has been added.
    -If none of these things seem to work you can try and reduce your bioload by removing some fish aqnd finding temporary homes for them.
    -Also. I know it is difficult to do, but you might want to start culling/euthanizing the fish that show advanced signs of disease. This will keep infection to a minimum and will also reduce your bioload. Like is said, it's always difficult to cull fish, but it is necessary to keep your tank healthy.

@Javei What kind of filtering are you using? Like dash mentioned, you need to put something in the filter that will allow for the bacteria colony to grow on.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. Xandoz

Xandoz

Just chucking a question in here for interest's sake and vague relevance: in a internal power filter, would the bacteria manage to grow on the filter sponge and/or carbon, or would some extra bio balls or similar need to be added?

14. dash

dash

Hi it will grow however it will be nice to add some bio material as from time to time you will have to rinse out the sponge out. Even if you use tank water you may remove some of the stuff.

15. oupoot

oupoot

Instead of buying the plastic balls, rather fork out a bit more for matrix as plastic bio balls server a better use for mechanical filtration than bio filtration

16. Xandoz

Xandoz

k, cool. Thanks guys.

17. OP
    Javei

Javei

Oky thanx to everyone especially to dash that helped me a lot, even called me on my cellphone to help (awesome). I bought ceremic rings today and added the to the internal filters a few minuts back. I changed 10% water and added 1 cap seachem stability tew water. I also got better food from petstop, omega one is the name. Everything looks fine, I will test my water tonight and see if I have any losses tommorrow morning(fingers crossed that I don't) further I can't wait till end of the month so that I can buy that canister filter.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  18. dash

dash

Know problems mate. That's what we are here for. Every thing will soon be ok will give you a call to check how it's all going.

19. OP
    Javei

Javei

Oky looks like everything settling down now, fish looks healthy and happy. They are more active today and one of my mollies gave birth
    Oky this is the fish I have In that tank.
    4 neons tetras(lost 6)
    4 glowlight tetras(lost 1)
    1 harlequan rasbora(lost 1)
    2 bronze cats cories(lost two albino cory doras)
    1 chinese algae eater
    1 golden algae eater
    3 dwaf gourami's
    3 guppies(lost 5) I have 1 male and 2 females now.
    10 platies(lost 2) 3 males rest are females now.
    21 mollies(lost 2) 4 males and the rest is females.

Oky tell me am I overstocked or understocked?

20. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

I would say you are still ok but give your tank a bit more time before you add more fish :amuse:.

Are the 21 mollies including the fry?

21. OP
    Javei

Javei

Nope, the fry is in a different tank, I made a typing mistake where I said 10 mollies and counted some of the fish wrong becausrpe they don't want to hung still so that I can count them.

If I remove my cories can I treat my tank with salt? I think there is ick in my tank because there are 3 fishes rubbing themselfes against plants and ornaments?
    Or what?

Recent Posts