Help! Fuzzy Female Gurami

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by dimitra, May 18, 2012.

1. dimitra

dimitra Dimitra

Hey there,

I looked into my tank this morning to see my new female dwarf gurami with a fuzzy white grown along her back. I immediately removed her from the tank and upon closer inspection, her back is very red and raw around the white fuzzy stuff. None of my other fish are suffering from this - and I suspect it to be a fungus of some kind.

Any idea on what it could be or what caused it? Also perhaps on how to treat it.
    As much as I've tried, photographing this accurately seems to be impossible.

Any help appreciated!

Also - I'm new here and don't know if this is the right category to post this in. If not - please tell me where I should post it :)

Thanks

2. Guest

3. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

@dimitra - Hmmnnn - this could be serious... Is the patch centred around the dorsal fin area? Does it look like the affcted areahas gone "Dull"?

Fuzzy growth's are normally fungal infections...but for a fish to get to the state where fungus attacks it,it would 1st have to be suffering from a bacterial or parasitical problem. Fungus feeds of dead,necrotic cells...
    Why i asked the 1st two questions is that I fear your fish may be suffering from Columnaris bacteria also known as Saddleack dissease. This is HIGHLY infectious to other fish and not easy to treat. Do me a favour since you cant get a pic of the fish - Google Columnaris or Saddleback disease... compare.

Unfortunately the health of most Dwarf Gouramis coming into the country from especialy Asian countries are very poor and Columnaris is often a problem associated with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    dimitra

dimitra Dimitra

@azurekoi
    Yeah - unfortunately that is what it sounds like. I got fish from a new pet-store and I was a little worried about their condition then already - which is in the end what swayed my decision to get them (wanting to save them).

Googled it. That looks exactly like what she has. Is there any treatment?

Thanks so much for your help..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

Generally if a fish has symptoms as far as yours seem to have... it will not survive treatment,so best to euthanase it asap.
    the problem is that this bacteria is now in your tank... Columnaris is a highly infectious gram negative bacteria and can kill seemingly healty fish in the space of a couple of hours...

An effective treatment that I have used for this problem is Terramycin (OxytetracyclineHCl) - a human antibiotic. Panorama Pet Shop has some(I have heard) - contact them. Or if you explain VERY nicely to a pharmacist why you need it,they sometimes sell you a capsuleor two... Capsules are 200mg... you need 4mg/litre of water for the treatment - 50% waterchange after 2 days and re dose with 4mg/l...
    Remember that this is an antibiotic...so will not just kill the badd nunu...but also your filter bacteria... So feed little for the next 3 weeks or so,lots of frequent water changes and test water quality...

Recent Posts