Has anyone breeding Kuhli loaches????

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Rooivlerkie, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Rooivlerkie

Rooivlerkie

Has anyone around here ever bred Kuhli loaches? I have 4 of them for around a year and they never bred. Now, I wonder. Is it possible to bred them in an aquarium? I have 90cm tank with fake plants, caves ect. The only other tank mates are 4 honey gouramis I bought a few months ago. Should the water be acidic if I want to breed them? I really want to breed them (if possible)
    Thanks

2. Guest

3. nicolaas

nicolaas

I have not bred them, but I read there eggs are green and don't stick.Not sure how to make them spawn, but I think you'll need low ph around 6 -6.5 and do allot of water changes and feed them allot of high protein food.I don't know what the temp should be.I love Kuhlis, good luck on breeding them.

4. DCWarHound

DCWarHound

5. OP
    Rooivlerkie

Rooivlerkie

Thanks
    Will let you know if anything happend within in the next 2 weeks

6. Xandoz

Xandoz

I've never actively bred them but during my teens, I had 6 Kuhlis who turned into 13 Kuhlis. All the original kuhlis were the regular banded type and so were all the offspring except for 1. The odd one was super skinny and long and was a semi-opaque silver colour. Was very wierd. They lived under my undergravel filter and one day, when I did a clean-out under the filter, I discovered all the new Kuhlis.

7. Good_Times

Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

This is how the guy (kaiser402) said he got them to spawn, sounds interesting.

"I bred them playing on water parameters. I let the water level go down for a while, increasing the water hardness.
    When an atmospheric depression came, I completed the water level with Reversed Osmose water to simulate the wet asian season."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

How did he do that with Angels aso in his tank? Very interesting!!! Or aren't this his?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  9. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

So the first requirement is an undergravel filter...

10. Nina_W

Nina_W

I had the same experience as Xandos - had five of them, they occupied the undergravel filter, then one day there was seven, and years later there was twelve or thirteen of them. Never saw any actual breeding, though, but I had fairly hard water, with a fairly poorly maintained aquarium (before I knew better, basically). Tankmates were an angelfish, blue gourami, a horde of bronze corydoras (started with three, they increased too), and a few oddball schoolers, one neon tetra, one danio, one blackskirt, and so on.

11. OP
    Rooivlerkie

Rooivlerkie

Can I use something similar to a undergravel filter? I`ve notice the kuhli`s love the caves... I got half a terra cotta pot and sometimes the whole bunch of them hides under it.

12. Good_Times

@Xandoz and @Nina_W did you have any floating plants in the tanks at that time?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Nina_W

Nina_W

No, I had a few amazon swords and a java fern, all rooted/attached to driftwood.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Xandoz

Xandoz

No. All my plants were silk back then. This was over 10 years ago.

15. Good_Times

Interesting, because from what I've seen on the net and in books they seem to spawn in surface vegetation and one of my books recommend keeping them in a tank with water lettuce for them to spawn in.

Recent Posts