Wanted: Hang On Back desperately needed.

Discussion in 'Wanted/Swop/Freebies' started by Angel28, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies due to lack of activity. Consider opening a new thread instead.
  1. Angel28

Angel28 Nutting, crazy about my fin babies.

Hi All,

I don’t usually ask for desperate help from the members but this has become a diasraight situation & with the lock down & my back operation one thing led to another Does anyone have any kind of second, second hand hang on back filter they don’t want anymore & want to give away but still works I can clean it up & refurbish it DIY style I’m pretty good at that for a girl. My fancy guppies had beautiful babies while I was man down & I now have to move my fin babies to a bigger tank a friend gave me. (A little less frequent water changes because of a larger water volume & better filtration would help my fin babies so much) I had a huge back operation which has put a bit of strain on my water changes. My fin babies are my life they mean the world to me & I can’t see them crammed into a 30l tank (it’s breaking my heart beyond belief ) Your kind help would be so greatly appreciated. P.S If you would like to take a few baby guppies you’re more than welcome to, I have more than enough now & you love your fin babies as much as I do.

2. Guest

3. David Kusner

David Kusner

@Angel28 I have to check at home, I have some HOB filters that could possible still be working. I have all but given up on them as the constant power issue we have in my area make it almost impossible for me to run them effectively, they usually end-up burning out since they don't always startup a siphon once the power comes on again. Some I already checked out a while back because I was so frustrated with them, I will see if I have at least a working one for you and you are welcome to have it. I am in JHB, but we can make a plan to get it to you as I see you are in PTA.

Shabir, ancistrus and A new day like this.
  4. OP
    Angel28

Wow wow wow that’s so awesome of you @ David Kusner thats absolutely amazing you’re a super dooper star ⭐️ I’ll even come fetch it no problem like I said my babies are in distraught & I need to act faster than I’ve ever acted before, my babies lives depend on it. Ps my cousins live in Houghton so I’ll make a day of meeting up with everyone. Ps are you going to be at the social at the Pet Den in Edenvale on Saturday?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. OP
    Angel28

Would you like some guppies like I said I have more than enough now

6. David Kusner

David Kusner

ok once I get home I will look for you. PM your contact details.

Angel28 likes this.
  7. OP
    Angel28

Thank you @David I’ll do that, I’ll be going to the social at the Pet Den on Saturday hope to see you there, looking forward to personally meeting everyone but if you do find a hang on back you can spare then I’ll come through to you before, I like the travels, it to is relaxing.

8. Shabir

Shabir

Hey, what do they sell for?

9. OP
    Angel28

Well I looked & it depends on the size, make & model. When they start from teeny tiny filters +- (don’t quote me on this) from R170 & bigger +- R1500-R2000 maybe more especially if it’s a brand name.

10. Shabir

Shabir

Sheesh that's rather expensive

11. OP
    Angel28

True especially when you could buy a canister filter. Right now I try keep my stock quantities to the required amount (which was blown out of the water when my female guppy exploded early while I was in hospital having more back surgery & nerve deadening) (unsuccessful) but I’m a big girl I can handle it. Frequent water changes, keeping an eye on the water parameters, quarantining new or sick fish etc that’s why an HOB is perfect for me I can reach it, maintain it & keep my fish happy & healthy.

12. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

You'll need a lot of fish to seriously outdo your filtration. I had a betta and 12 kuhlis on a simple sponge filter for a while and all were fine.

13. OP
    Angel28

@Hendre you know exactly how many babies 1 guppy can have (wow to many) from years of experience I know for a fact my current built in filtration is no where close to adequate anymore, my friend has helped me increase the size of the tank but I’ve got to get moving on the right size filtration, it started today that my fish are starting to show the fish keeper signs that something is way way off. I can’t loose my fish it breaks my heart when one passes away.

14. Shabir

Shabir

15. OP
    Angel28

My tank is the standard rectangular 100lt I had to drastically down size from my 350 space age corner unit tank which was in my bedroom to something smaller so I could at least stay in the hobby without damaging my back after the operation (sadness I really miss my big tank) but once a fish lover always a fish lover no matter what :)

16. OP
    Angel28

@Shabir the 350l tank was years ago I’ve only had a micro tank since then now I have to go bigger because of the baby explosion. I’m one stressed out fish mom & I didn’t have the babies myself. :lol:

17. Shabir

Shabir

@Angel28 I used to have a 3ft with a powerhead and a hob which really gave me great service and my water used to be crystal clear... I used to have cichlids in there... incase you haven't thought that route already

I also used to have MTS and when I moved here struggled but finally back in the hobby

18. OP
    Angel28

Wow Cichlids are beautiful but no I didn’t want to go that route because my next door neighbor has 10 tanks built into their custom cupboard full of Cichlids all styles & colours so I just pop next door & go visit them. I look after all their tanks when they go on holiday they love it knowing there’s another hobbyist looking after their babies. :) Then I have family friends who have 1 huge tank built into their lounge wall, it needs pool pumps & a cleaning crew to maintain it! also Cichlids, I prefer literally not to be able to do backstroke in my fish tank. Hee! Hee! Hee! :lol: But they are lucky to be able to enjoy their hobby on a much, much, much bigger scale.

I’ll bet your tank must be beautiful now you should send pics would love to see it.

19. OP
    Angel28

Do you still have Cichlids in your current tank?

Shabir likes this.
  20. OP
    Angel28

Oh wait never mind I saw your tank it’s beautiful, I will not confirm nor deny jealousy ;):D

Shabir likes this.
  21. Shabir

Shabir

Lol I didn't mean keep cichlids I meant a powerhead filter. I meant to say that they really do the trick

Recent Posts