Guppy challenge 2.

Discussion in 'Designerguppy Challenge 2' started by Pierré Schoonraad, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

I will be the first to start off this challenge.

It all started July/August this year. I'm not a big fan of guppies in general but got myself 2 Platinum Endler males, as I liked the colour of them. Unfortunatelly 1 desided to try tile swimming without letting me know. Struggling to find female Endlers I had to get a guppy female. I chose the dullest of dull females but I don't want any unwanted colour being transfered.

The male:
    [​IMG]

The female:
    [​IMG]

What I'm looking at in the end might not be as colourfull as most people would like. My target fish will have the basic same colour as the father. Complete white body with a transparent tail. Orange colour will only be on the dorsal fin with a orange edge, cressent moon shape, on the tail. I"m not 100% on the terminolagy but I think it is called sword tail?

After doing what Endlers do best, fornicate and eat, in that order. I seperated the two. The female had 4 batches of babies and the 5 on it's way. So far the first 3 batches prodused sexable fish which I have seperated asap. I don't have much space or tanks to do this in so I will have to continue with my current set-up. I have a 1,5 ft grow out tank and then 2 1 ft tanks as holding tanks for the males and females. Only breading tanks I have is a 2 ft, use to be my river tank, but transformed it into a shrimp breeding tank. The only other ootion was the 2 ft Moss tank were the original breading started.

On monday the 28th if November I moved 1 male and 2 females to each of these tanks. All of them are about 3 months old so should be fine for breading, I hope. Out of all the first batches of fry there was only 4 males that was possibilities for my final target. None of them showed their fathers elaborate tail so I was very pleased with this. Also 2 of them is acrually clise to what I'm looking at as a final resolt. Funny though that a lot of the males that I have left shows a high similarity to "normal" endlers.

First of the 2 breading tanks has my personal favourit male in it with 2 gold looking females.

[​IMG]

The Moss tank has 2 silver females with the male.

[​IMG]

The only reason I have for the colour differance in the females is to get an idea if the colour of the female will make a differance in the colour of the males.

Thanks for reading this far. Will post updates as there is any changes. Will also post foto's of the littel runts that are left.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rainstorm, Vis and Ladysphinx like this.
  2. Guest

3. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Good start, but only what you breed from today forward will count for the challenge, to make it fair and all.

I really like your males they have a very nice shape about them.
    I find endler based fish grow much slower then my other fish.

Females are only really ready to breed at about 4,5 months, but fish vary a lot.

Looking forward as you progress, you will find all kinds of weird throwbacks until you get the pure strain.

Something to keep in mind if you ever want a pretty neutral female to breed with and get a strain going quickly consider mosquito fish females...

4. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Ps what's the floating plants you have in there?

5. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

Interesting information about the mosquito female.

Not interested in any "prize" for this one. Only want to see what is possible.

6. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

Duck weed. Spreads like nothing and a bitch to get rid off. Only got it in these guppy tanks to controle nutrients and provide so shelter and feeding place for the fry.

7. Vis

Vis Gerhard

No problem :) just wanted to be transparent as some people can be very competitive.
    Want to keep it friendly and relaxed.

To me it's also about getting a better choice of fish out in to the SA market.

8. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Two things in this hobby that I can't keep alive in my tanks for more then a couple of weeks are snails and duckweed :)

9. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

Mentioned it in the other post about the guppy challange that I have a head start. 4 months make a huge differance on something like this and accept that I'm basicly disqualified but I need to have some record of what is going on with this breading project. I belive also that it is a great oppertunity to learn from other likeminded breeders out there.

Vis likes this.
  10. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

nice. You need to teach me the trick about the snails. I do kill vallis very good and fast though

11. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Really not a problem on my side :) That's why it's a challenge and not a competition.
    Thanks for participating.

Would you mind if I share your entry on the Facebook page for the others to see?

12. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

No problem. If we get more entries the better for all.

13. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Must say I kinda liked that orange on the original males head.

14. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

Yes it is kinda nice but I will love to move it to the dorsal fin though. Btw I don't think I can win this in any case. I might have caused too much waves with my last thread and looking at the foto's of the 1st challange there are other people that are much better at this.

15. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Thats the exciting thing, just tomorrow your one female pops out the most stunning fish you have ever seen
    Only way of knowing is to keep on going. Did not see the last thread...
    But we are on facebook and other forums to should you be excused from this one :)

16. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@Pierré Schoonraad if you are referring to the chlorine thread I don't think so. It was very informative and a good debate. One of my favourites this month.

17. 5p1nn3k0p

5p1nn3k0p

Nice fish thus far, never be sorry for putting something out there, like @boelder said, it was very informative and a good debate..

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

18. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

Thanks @BoelderBeestie and @5p1nn3k0p happy you enjoyed it. Seen in that light I might have bean the Donald Trump in that debate though

Rainstorm likes this.
  19. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

Here is some crappy foto's of the runts. If anybody is interested in some you can come and collect from me in Pretoria.

20. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. OP
    Pierré Schoonraad

Forgot to say. They are free of charge BUT you must enter the Guppy challange then

Recent Posts