Greenspot hassles

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Logz, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Logz

Logz

So I'm pretty sure I am not the only one who had hassles with Eskom and my tank.... So here goes...

I have been working hard for the past year on algae growth on my drift wood for the aesthetic point, which is going smoothly. However, I now have the issue thanks to a major loss of power that I had to put my tank in the sun for a few days to keep my plants alive. Now my acrylic is looking like something out of a Jackson Pollock painting when he was very heavy handed...

So the short to this... My algae scraper that I have (normal double sponge with a plastic edge) isn't cutting it, and I can't take my scape out without killing the majority of my plant work and I really don't want to use a chemical assistant because that will kill what's going on on the driftwood...

Any tips? maybe a compact DIY scraper that won't eat my acrylic or something targeted? I have an unknown number of cherry shrimp and an algae eater who loves his life right now but they aren't enough...

Thanks in advance :)

2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day

I have no experience with acrylic tanks so can’t comment on a suitable scraper. Have you tried the credit card trick?

Nerite snails go a long way towards keeping the glass clean but
    a) they will also eat the algae on your driftwood
    b) if it’s really hectic at the moment you’ll have to do something mechanical to get rid of most of it.

Lowflyer7 likes this.
  4. OP
    Logz

Logz

I have tried the credit card, sadly its just too stuck on and it almost seems like its thinner than normal so the card doesn't quite reach. I am not too worried about the tank stock getting to the algae on the wood - its more the point of seeing life on the actual scape rather than the tank surface itself haha.

Thanks for the tip though, think this weekend may involve an adventure for snails and perhaps more shrimp... can't have too many of them

A new day likes this.
  5. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? It kills algae very well.

6. OP
    Logz

Logz

That I have not... but how will the live stock hold up with that..? Especially the shrimp who tend to be pretty sensitive?

7. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I dose mine with 5 ml per 100 l once off when I need to. I keep low grade red cherrys, rabbit snails and celestial pearl danios. Have not had issues with livestock death doing it this way. I have done the same in a tank infested with algae that has Sawbwas, apistos and amano shrimp in it - also worked like a charm with no livestock losses.

8. OP
    Logz

Logz

Awesome! I have a relatively similar stocking as your first list so I should be good to go. Only difference is the bastard known as Geoff but I am near certain he is the most indestructible goldfish known to man anyway. Thanks for the help! Will see if I have any left and test it tonight. If I have to start over on the wood I guess I have to.

9. Kiaan26

Kiaan26

On glass I use a box cutter razor blade and it works really well. Maybe try it careful for acrylic. Or just use filter floss and alot of effort.

Logz likes this.
  10. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Start by removing the slag from your tank .. that stuff is such a water quality unknown factor.

Later Ferdie

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hi @Logz

Welcome to the Forum

12. OP
    Logz

Logz

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Managed to rig up a little scraper so hopefully I can get the majority of the algae off the glass... I did also realise I did a casual double dose of liquid fertiliser a few times over the period of my blown pump... I am my own worst enemy here :(

A new day likes this.
  13. OP
    Logz

Logz

Tank is now pretty much spotless... Just the back wall I can't get too but not too worried as it feeds the shrimp and algae eater and you can't really see it thanks to the way I placed the wood. Did take a fair amount of scrubbing, but the peroxide idea and what ended up being a credit card stuck to an old scraper worked a charm. Thanks for all the help everyone!

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts