Glo Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TomK, Aug 19, 2019.

1. TomK

TomK

Hi guys

Aqua Pet in Klerksdorp is opening a Glo room soon. I questioned it and this is the answer I get. Is this true?

Species Information

The Electric Green GloFish® Danio (Danio rerio) is a genetically modified Zebra Danio, that has been genetically modified with a fluorescent protein gene and selectively bred to enhance the naturally occurring but rare fluorescent coloration. Scientists were able to take the fluorescent protein genes which occurs naturally in some marine organisms and implant it into multiple species of freshwater tropical fish. GloFish® sold within the aquarium hobby today are bred from the offspring of fluorescent fish that were originally developed several years ago.

Each new GloFish® fluorescent fish inherits its unique color directly from its parents, maintains the color throughout its life, and passes the color along to its offspring. Hobbyists should not confuse modern GloFish® with dyed or injected fish that were impregnated with a fluorescent dye below their skin. Dyed fish would lose their color over time, were generally less healthy due to the dying process and considered by many to be subjected to inhumane treatment.

I am not in the hobby anymore and has lost touch, therefore I am not sure but still skeptical. I would appreciate and update on the latest info.

[​IMG]

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

There are the real, branded GloFish, as outlined and patented as you see there. Started in the lab as chem detection, now we're here at commercial level. Is that shop getting them from that particular supplier? Hard to say. Because these have been genetically modified, the glow will be carried through to subsequent generations, hence any other breeder can produce these (unless the GloFish company sterilized all stock...)

I do recall there is some sort of regulation regarding genetically modified organisms in SA, alongside assessments for potential environmental impacts. I'm not sure how this shop got around that particular item...

However, there are fakes, and they can be hard to differentiate unless you've seen both the real and fake fish. The fake ones, if you can say that, are injected/acid bathed with fluorescent dyes. They are plentiful in SA, and like the genetically modified ones will glow under particular lighting. It is said that the fake ones don't glow as much, but I've yet to see a "measure". These animals regularly die young, presumably from complications of the colour treatment. I haven't seen many live long enough for the colours to fade. However if you do manage to breed these, the young will not bear any fluorescence.

4. Cale24

Cale24

I was at a LFS today and saw some of those neon red tiger barbs (can’t recall their new name) for R100 each. Steep, with normal barbs I think R30 or R40, but against black they looked pretty cool for that sort of thing.
    The helpful guy there had more or less the same explanation behind the neon coloring.

5. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

I got 4 of those "Glofish" danios back in December, 2 lost their colour within a few weeks and 3 of them died after a few months of keeping them.. Don't think I'll ever get neon branded fish again because after that I researched it and found out like @SalmonAfrica said, many are injected with the dye. I've also seen at a few shops like wazeers, they told me straight out that their fish aren't the Glofish, and that they'd lose their colour after a few months so just be careful of them..

6. David Kusner

David Kusner

So called glofish are just yet another way to entice unsuspecting people into purchasing fish who dont really no anything about fish keeping.

I recall these fish been available more than 30 years ago already, all were dyed some how or injected some how to "glow". Obviously if the fish lives long enough the glow fades away and other times the fish will usually die before the glow fades.

I noticed recently that they seem to be quite easily available again so one of the big importers or trans shippers must be getting them in.

Dont ever buy them, I think the practice is cruel and unnecessary. I doubt you will seldom if ever get the real thing as @Salmonafrica ready mentioned.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

TetraJacques likes this.
  7. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Completely agree with you!!! I will admit they do pull your attention and I'm sure in some setups it will look good but its just purely cruel and a just another way to make a buck.

8. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

GM and artificially dyed fish are banned in the UK.
    And quite righty so imo.

9. Saibot

Saibot

I think it is sick people do this to animals. Absolutely sick.

10. Pezulu

Pezulu

Unfortunately there is a market for genetically modified, dye injected and tattooed fish.
    As long as there is a demand they will be supplied.

Saibot likes this.
  11. Saibot

Saibot

A mate of mine was keen on some dyed Danios until I crapped him out and gave him the facts on this. He's since changed his mind. Where ever possible I implore fellow forum members to try and negate this ghastly practice. It has no place in a hobby which, for the most part, has people who genuinely care for these aquatic creatures both big and small.

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wish they would do that here too but as @Pezulu says.. supply / demand reigns so they don't care

Reedfish and Saibot like this.
  13. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I'm going to take a seat on the other side here just to point out that genetically modified fishes, at no point, are placed under any mistreatment or cruelty during the process that they receive the "Glo" genes. Such modification takes place at the zygote stage, long before the animal has any discernible systems (including any sort of nervous system).

Don't get me wrong, these fish don't appeal to me at all and in general I place them in the same category as long-finned and short bodied fishes - with the exception that, in those latter two groups, the fishes are so physically altered that it actually affects their welfare and lifestyle. I am definitely against that. The glowing fish? Not so much. At a stretch, it would be greatly impaired in the wild being unable to effectively hide from predators. But in captivity... this has no impact.

To see so many people rallying against it because it is "cruel" is baffling to me. It isn't, and the argument has no basis. Look, you can hate these fish for every single other reason that you want. But there are selectively bred fish out there which are literally impaired from swimming and feeding correctly, and I don't see nearly as much hate for that.

459b, MariaS and 2time like this.
  14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@SalmonAfrica
    Yes, you do have a point.

But I question the motive behind it.

I have read the various arguments both for and against.
    Taking a gene from a jelly fish, and inserting it into other animals - mice, fish etc.Wow, the other animals now glow in the dark.Lets sell them!
    I am not a religious person, but some things remain in the realm of a Higher Power, and this is one of them.

This sort of “advancement” is a very slippery slope. So you want a child with blue eyes......easily done.....

Saibot and TetraJacques like this.
  15. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Just a question, do those fancy goldfish fall under this category of selectively bred fish that are now impared? The way some of them seem to struggle to swim makes me feel like this is the case..

16. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Of course we could go into an ethical discourse about what sort of precedent this sets, but as far as the evils in this hobby go, and indeed how we're applying our knowledge of genetics to the hobby, well, this isn't on the top of my list. I listened to an interview with the first guy to market these - he himself purchased the rights to sell these from a research lab (in Singapore I believe), as they were developing the glow genes to react to particular pollutants. He saw a market opportunity and took it. Doesn't make it right, but I don't see this as a nefarious turn. He's had an uphill battle worldwide to sell these, as many countries either outright prohibit them, or if not, put the company through such a mountain of beaurocratic nonsense that they often second-guess that market (and remember, an environmental impact assessment must be done per species.... one for danio, one for tiger barb etc etc.)

Bottom line is, the motive is money. In some countries (like the US, although as far as I know not all states) it's going swell. But big resistance elsewhere.

Yes they do. Goldfish are a particular grudge of mine, even though they were my "gateway drug" into this hobby. Although you might hear me say they're the "better" goldfish for beginners (smaller adult size, making them more "tank" than "pond" fish), I do bite my tongue saying so. They're so ill-formed and inbred that, besides the obvious swimming and eating impairments, they are very prone to both swimbladder and ovarian disease, kidney issues, digestive issues, and even skeletal deformities. This becomes more of an issue with the large-scale bred fancies than, say, the top-end ones (which in some cases follow good studbooks), but in all the risk is carried because the selection for that particular body shape compromises the internal organs, nevermind what all that selective inbreeding is doing to their immune systems, for example.

The most recent Amazonas issue covers man-made fish quite well, incidentally. I'm not yet finished going through it, but I'm sure there are great insights there for all parties interested...

17. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

This sounds very much the same as the issues we have with many purebred dogs of today..

Saibot likes this.
  18. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@SalmonAfrica ,

You are right in that the genetically modified fish do not suffer in the process and although its not something that I support, when I said they should ban in SA, I was more specifically referring to the dyed ones which are put through all the painful processes which is what is really inhumane

The genetically modified ones is a subject that can be debated for hours from different angles but.. lets be honest even seeds today are genetically modified to produce bigger crops... healthier crops.. etc... the list goes on.

The other very good point you made.... which I fully agree with and I can not stand, is all the.. in my books.. deformed fish they breed and inbreed to produce the short body... the excessively long fins, raised spines for a humpback effect .. some of the goldfish varieties... and the list can probably go on..
    The first time I ever saw a long finned Oscar, I couldn't get over the way the poor fish was swimming... he couldn't swim straight.. he actually swam at an angle with his tail lower than his head and this really got to me

But as I said.. supply demand rules and money is always the key player

Cale24 likes this.
  19. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

The swimming you see in the Oscar is a common theme in long tinned fish. Compare short tailed and wild varieties of Betta, and compare their swimming angle to that of your classic Betta with flowing fins. Fins not only contribute to weight distribution, but add drag to their movement.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are now long finned arowana too, in addition to the short body forms.

Hopefully we'll see a change in direction regarding fish aesthetics, although given how long it's taking with all those malformed dog breeds, we'll have a while to wait yet for fishes.

Nico Hamman and Cale24 like this.
  20. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Yeah.... I saw the long finned Arowana....
    The few I have seen weren't too .. too.. exaggerated/deformed yet but I guess we will see where it all goes

I really feel sorry for the short body Arowana and the.. think they call it :King Kapua: or something, where the back looks deformed/ raised above the head kind of look...
    I think its very sad...

But then.... look at the Batman rays that some go nuts for...
    I think its so so sad that they inbreed on this deformity to sell them for a fortune

TetraJacques likes this.
  21. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Didn’t know there were long fin Arros too :mad:
    Not hugely long fins like some of those other fish.

And as for thos batman Rays.....:mad:

Recent Posts