Fungus on Fish Eggs.

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Broder, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Broder

Broder

We have all heard that water is to be treated with a fungicide when trying to hatch angelfish eggs separate from their parents. I'm just wondering if fungus on the eggs kills the fry, or is there a possibility that it could still hatch?

The reason I ask is that I have some Cory eggs, scraped up and deposited in the usual hatching tank. For the first time ever, they're all covered in fungus. Obviously I'll wait it out and see what happens, but the second part to my question is this; could the fact that I removed all snails from the hatching tank be the cause of the fungus taking over? I've done this procedure quite a few times with the eggs always hatching. Snails would be all over them for most of the time, but it didn't seem to prevent the eggs from hatching. Could it be that snails actually keep the eggs clear of fungus? Or am I dreaming of Utopia again:)?

2. Guest

3. quattro

quattro

@Broder.
    Hi. The best is to get some shrimp in the tank you putting the eggs and MOST importantly get a lot of indian almond leaves. This will help a lot with the fungus on the eggs and will help keep the fry healthy once they hatched.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Vis

Vis Gerhard

If they git fungus they won't hatch.
    I think snails might actually eat eggs, not sure though.

I remember guys put eggs in methylene blue to prevent fungus. But they need clean flowing water over them, that is why fish always fan the eggs or lay them in a part of the tank with good flow.

5. quattro

quattro

I breed corys myself and have some snails in the tank with the eggs and they actually don't eat them. I have read that assassin snails will eat eggs.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

6. howard

howard

Morning, two comments. If fungus has covered an egg, it is then dead. The fungus cuts off the oxygen. Secondly all snails will eat eggs if there is nothing else to eat. I have both Apple and Assassin snails in my different tanks and speak from observations.

Just a point to remember, if you put contaminated eggs in a tank with a fungus medication, the fungus will continue to live for a period and thus contaminate all the eggs. It is best to remove eggs very early before any infection in to a medicated tank to stop any fungus from starting.............................

my 2c worth

7. OP
    Broder

Broder

Thanks for all of the replies guys. So if I treat the tank with methylene blue, prior to introducing the eggs, they should remain free of fungus? Can I leave methylene in with fry, shrimp and snails? Will it kill nitrifying bacteria? @quattro, I'll keep and eye out for Indian Almond leaves.

8. howard

howard

@Broder. This is not a guarantee. It is the way I do it and so far been successful. I do not have snails in the egg tank so won't comment and also as I do daily water changes, I don't care about anything but ph and toxins in my tap water.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

Snails definitely will eat eggs and not protect them. Shrimp will. Some eggs fungus cause they're not fertilized or to less oxygen-rich water flows along them. Indian almond is a great idea or a drop if Esha 2000 is often used overhere.
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts