Freshwater Stingrays.. The most popular aquarium kept species

Discussion in 'Oddball fish' started by MariaS, Apr 2, 2017.

1. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Hi Everyone..

Now that we already have a thread on caring for stingrays which I will update from time to time, with anything new which we come across and learn as we go along that might help others.

I decided to start these threads as, I know that as of late a large number of rays are being brought into the Country and sold to hobbyists like us. Maybe some are members of this forum and just don’t post… others might not be (Hopefully they join one day) but there are a number of them out there and… as we have found out…there are not many people around that can give advice or share their experiences ..

So... we will now look at the most common different species available to the aquarist.

This thread is aimed at helping you chose or identify your ray so I will include tank size on the first profile as a reminder but will not repeat myself over and over as, except for the smaller species which will be noted, they all need the same tank size, filtration, diet etc..for more detailed information please refer to my first thread on care and husbandry

Rays are extremely popular with aquarists all over the world especially in the USA, Canada, the UK, all over Europe and last but not least Asia where a large volume of the breeding is taking place although there are some big breeders that I know of in the UK, Germany…. Etc..
    In the USA, hundreds of hobbyists are breeding them as well

As a matter of interest, ray species have been allocated P numbers like the plecos with their L numbers..its a very long list...

The rays’s popularity has also resulted in depletion of wild stock and a ban being placed on wild caught rays especially from Brazil. Most affected I think are the black diamonds.
    I believe Peru has also banned wild caught rays from being exported

Due to the popularity of rays in the aquarium world and the fact that most of the species below happily interbreed, we are seeing some amazing hybrids for sale as well

I know hybrids might not be everyone’s cup of tea and a very controversial subject in terms of conserving the species …but… their popularity overseas is enormous due to the stunning patterns and often smaller sized rays combined with the fact that no ill health or defects arise from the hybridization so there is a huge demand for them as well.

Without taking the black rays into consideration, to me… one of the most beautiful brown rays is the Boesmani…. Unfortunately its quite rare as its only recently made its way into the aquarium world and therefore also fetches very high prices but… an absolute beauty....

The 3 smallest species are:

Reticulated Ray : 14 inch… about 35cm

Hystrix Ray… 14 inch also about 35cm

Scobina.. 13 inch.. about 30cm

The most popular species are (not necessarily in this particular order)

Brown rays

• Potamotrygon Motoro
    • Potamotrygon Motoro “Marbled variant”
    • Potamotrygon Pearl
    • Potamotrygon sp. Mantilla
    • Potamotrygon Scobina- Mosaic ray
    • Potamotrygon Hystrix
    • Potamotrygon Schroederi- Flower Ray
    • Potamotrygon boesemani

Black Rays:

• Potamotrygon Leopoldi
    • Potamotrygon Henlei
    • Potamotrygon Itaituba P14
    A fully grown Leopoldi is an absolutely stunning sight… and highly prized throughout the world and don’t come cheap especially, since the total ban on export of wild caught specimens from Brazil

There are 3 variants on a Leopoldi which we will look at further on…. These are not hybrids or different species.
    Firstly, even in the wild, every ray has its own specific pattern or spotting which is often related to the particular location they come from.. no 2 rays are exactly the same then, we have the result of F2 and F3 generation captive inbreeding for bigger spots, more spots, different shaped spots, more contrasting black and white etc..

Finally… we have the Batman ray ……PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT A SPECIES OF RAY

More recently there has been a somewhat alarming rise in popularity for the so-called “bat” or “batman” rays.

This is not a species of ray…These are the result of a genetic defect and have certain parts of the disc missing, usually at the rear edge and the area around the head.

I believe there are breeders breeding for this specific defect. I believe that you don’t really find them much in the wild as they cant compete for food so very few actually survive.

I cant understand why they being bred and personally.. I can’t support this.. but.. I guess people pay for these oddities so….

Now… let’s list the species and some pictues

TO BE CONTINUED

2. Guest

3. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

The most common, cheapest and freely available is Potamotrygon Motoro P1.

Common Names: Ocellated River Stingray, Spotted River Ray

Distribution:

Potamotrygon Motoro is found in nearly every river basin in South America

Argentina, Venezuela, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, French Guyana, Peru, Surinam, Paraná-Paraguay, Orinoco, and Amazon River basins.
    Like other members of the genus it inhabits a variety of biotopes. These include sand banks, the shallows of major rivers and slow-moving tributaries with substrates of mud or sand. It also moves into areas of flooded forest during the annual wet season and can later be found in terrestrial lakes and ponds formed by the receding flood waters.

This is where most accidents happen and people get stung by accidentally standing on a buried ray

Maximum Size (Disc Width): appx. 70cm depending on locality, females can get larger. In captivity average size which I have found recorded by ray keepers on most forums around the World is around 60cm adult

Juvenile Tank Footprint: 1.5m X 60cm- With GOOD filtration you can grow out 2 or 3 pups in this tank for probably about max to be safe work on 1.5 year (this is based on what I have read as well as how fast ours grew) then you will need to upgrade

Adult Tank Footprint: 2.5m X 1.2m and this is minimum size for 2 rays… The width is VERY important..

Feeding Habits: P. Motoro are usually good eaters and easy to adapt to a variety of foods. They usually accept live foods upon arrival, and then wean to prepared foods easily like pellets, pieces of squid, fish, shrimp.

They can be aggressive feeders although I have found the black rays once settled are much more aggressive feeding..

Ease of Keeping: P. Motoro are known as the most available, hardiest, easiest to keep 'beginner' ray. However, it's large tank size requirements become a daunting task once the ray grows large.

Description: A sandy/brown coloured base disk with darker circular spots around the body and smaller spots around the disk. Often with a lighter brown or range colour to orange inside the darker spots.

This is a favourite stingray among hobbyists especially beginners.

Info:. The P1 Motoro is the most common, and comes in a variety of patterns and morphs. Potamotrygon Motoro also has dozens of geographical variants, with a wide range of patterns differing from the classic P1 Motoro like, marble and chain link.

Due to its many variants in the wild depending on the location, their base colour may differ a little as well as the colour of the spots

Like the pleco’s L numbers, the stingrays have been allocated ‘P’ numbers

4. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon Motoro P1

Photo's Cesar's Rose and Dina

046 (2) rose.JPG 052 (2)dina.JPG

5. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon sp. Motoro Marble

Common name: P01, Marbled variant
    Description: Found within the middle and lower parts of the Amazon drainage, including the Rio Trombetas, Rio Tocantins and Rio Pará.

This is a variant of the more common motoro with more circular brighter orange/yellow spots covering its body. Adults can grow to 18 inch across the disk

Average recorded size in captivity is 60cm
    Here again, no two rays have exactly the same shade of colour or pattern

Pictures taken off internet

MARBLE BIG.jpg marble 3.jpg

marble 2.jpg

6. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon Motoro sp. Chain link variant

Note the chain link pattern on the edges

Picture from MFK Forum

chain link.jpg

7. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon sp. "Pearl Ray"

The Pearl ray is a species and not a variant of the Motoro

• Common name: Pearl Ray
    Description: A remarkably pretty and fairly rare ray with a web effect pattern.

The discs are predominantly tanned in colour but this can vary in shades of brown and even to white discs.

Large darker ringed spots cover the body often with a lighter nucleus.

This species has a long tail usually with 3-4 rows of spines.

It is also one of the more expensive rays

Maximum Size (Disc Width Adults can grow to 18 inch/ 45cm

The patterning of this species is highly variable, with no two examples appearing the same. In general, Pearl rays have patterns which are made up of lines with dots or small donuts in the centre of these lines. These patterns connect all over the stingray, producing like a "Spiderweb" kind of effect. Some have golden markings, while others are almost white. Not only do patterns vary in color, even the base colours of the stingrays vary from light whitish tones to dark brownish black tones.

8. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Pearl Rays.

pearl 2.jpg pearl 4.jpg pearl.jpg

9. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

One of the rarest rays in the world is the Albino Pearl…. This will cost an arm and a leg… nice to drool over..

pearl albino.jpg

10. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon Scobina

This is one of the 3 smallest rays

Common name: Mosaic Stingray, P07

Found within the middle and lower parts of the Amazon drainage in Brazil, including the Rio Trombetas, Rio Tocantins and Rio Pará.

Description: A light based disk with darker mosaic like patterns. Adults can grow to 18 inch across the disk however most captive rays only reach 12 inch.. +/- 30cm

This stingray is stunning and considered the smallest of the freshwater stingrays, attaining a size of 12" in captivity. They usually have a light background colour, with even lighter spots. A beautiful species, which stays small.

Export of wild caught rays has been banned in Brazil so they not easy to come by.

They are usually good eaters

Picture taken off the internet

scobina.jpg

11. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon Schroederi or Flower ray

Common name: Flower Ray, P04

Location: Rio Orinoco (Rio Apure) and Amazon (Rio Negro) basins. Location: Brazil and Venezuela

Description:

This is a stunning ray with dark based disk with lighter based flower shaped patterns which really look like flowers Adults can grow to 24 inch/ 55cm

Picture off internet

flower.jpg

12. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon sp. Mantilla

• Common name: P19, Mantilla
    • Mantilla rays are a bit of a mystery and it appears no one knows exactly where they come from in Brazil
    • Many hybrids like tiger x motoro, tiger x pearl are labelled mantilla due to the patterns
    Description: A dark based disk often a dark gold colour however can also be a blue.

Known for its sporadic scribbled markings. A large ray and can easily reach 24 inch across the disk.. +/- 50cm

Pictures Cesar's 'Ray'

As a matter of interest, for those wanting to know how to sex a ray, a male and you can see the fully developed claspers

010 ray swim.JPG

13. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

14. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon Menchacai – Tiger Ray

Distribution: Peru Venezuela and Columbia

This is a very large ray reaching about 90cm even in captivity. It also has a very long tail thus requiring a bigger tank

It is known to have finicky eating habits

Also known for high level of aggression in mating

Although very beautiful and I believe very popular in Asia, not really recommended for the home aquarist

tiger.jpg

15. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon Reticulata

This is one of the three smallest rays

Distribution: Magdalena and Atrato Rivers in Columbia

Maximum size: Maximum disc size 35cm.

Other info: They tend to be very finicky eaters in captivity and not recommended for begginers

They come in a number of different colour variants

Picture from MFK Forum
    reticulata.jpg

16. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon boesemani

This is to me… a stunning ray I would love to get..

Potamotrygon boesemani, is a fairly new species and therefore not easily available

Distribution: Corantijn river drainage in Surinam.

Info: The species has a diagnostic dorsal colour pattern formed by deep orange to red ocellated spots of irregular form, encircled by relatively broad black rings.

Boesmani are distinguished from the other rays by their intensely coloured rings and they have three rows of spikes on the tail, it also has a very muscular build and a big head

It only appeared in the aquarium world around 2010

Picture Joey 'King of DIY'S Ray

boesmani.jpg

17. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Potamotrygon Hystrix

Common name: Porcupine River Stingray

This is one of the 3 smallest rays

Found in the Rio Paraná and Rio Paraguay basins in Argentina and Brazil

The main area of occurrence for this species is apparently the Paraná-Paraguay River confluence, where it is considered relatively abundant

Occurs in marshy zones where it is frequently found partially hidden in the sandy bottom. This behavior, associated with its perfect immobility and its capacity to undergo homochromy, makes it practically undetectable to the eye.

Usually around 14 – 15″/ which is …. 35 – 37.5cm across the disc, although there are reports of some specimens reaching 20″/50cm its very unlikely.

@Reedfish will upload some pictures of his babies for us and then I will continue...

Hope you have enjoyed the read so far

Edit: This is my female.

IMG_8452.JPG

This is the pair when I first got them January 2016

IMG_5358.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
  18. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

Hello Maria,

Thanks for the article! Most of us can only dream of these fish due to the price and size requirements. Pta zoo/aquarium had one in the 90's. He was my favourite fist there. Brings back fond childhood memories! Will have to get a few sooner later.

19. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Its a pleasure, glad you enjoyed it
    They are very special...

Prices on the more common ones have come down a LOT from when we got our first one but the black rays are still very, very expensive.
    Problem is the tank size they need but, if you a good DIY person then it doesnt work out so expensive
    Hopefully with some local breeding we can bring down the prices and thus more people will be able to maybe make their dream come true

20. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@MariaS
    Well written. Thanks for the effort.

I will take some photos of my hystrix and upload them as soon as I get a chance.

21. OP
    MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Thanks @Reedfish..

You are also welcome to add anything you would like to share with us from first hand experience with them.

Reedfish likes this.

Recent Posts