Freshwater Shrimp & Feeder Shrimp

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by Aryann94, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Aryann94

Aryann94

Good day all. I am about to install a 3ft Sump onto my 4ft Live Bearer Display tank & I really want to put Shrimp into the Sump.

I will be adding in Red Cherry, Red Rilli, Red Marble, Black, Black Rilli & Crystal Blue Shrimp into the Sump.

I just want to know how do I ensure that these Shrimp thrive in the Sump & what do I need to do in order to condition my water so that the Shrimp will thrive in the Sump and not die?

T. Guppy likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Well it sounds like a good idea! First of all try to stick to one shrimp colour, otherwise they mingle and you get less colourful offspring. Red cherry shrimp are super hardy and easy to keep so long as you keep the water clean. In a sump I'd just use some dense sponge at the end of their setup to make sure that nobody gets pumped into the main tank :)

Aryann94, T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  4. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Neocardina shrimp (all of those you mentioned) are very hardy. They will thrive in your sump without you having to do anything other than feeding them if no food gets in there. As Hendre mentioned they will interbreed (not really the right word as they are all the same species - just different colour morphs).

I once kept some in an unfiltered, unheated tank for about 4 months and not only did they survive but they thrived.

Aryann94 and T. Guppy like this.
  5. OP
    Aryann94

Aryann94

Thank you so much. I actually am the Store Manager for my LFS and recently we have been getting some amazing Shrimp in such as Red Cherry, Red Rilli, Black, Black Rilli, Red Marble, Black Marble, Crystal Blue and so on.. I just want to have shrimp in there so that I can call myself a shrimp keeper;)

6. OP
    Aryann94

Aryann94

Thank you so much. I'm still undecided at the moment. I want a variety of Shrimp in the sump, but does different color morphs or interbreeding have a negative effect on the hardiness and/or gene of the shrimp babies?

7. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

It has no ill effect on the shrimp at all. But what is will do is you will lose the colour morphs and they will all revert back to a more natural/wild colour. I have kept red cherry shrimp for a few years now without adding any new blood and they have all mostly lost their red colour.

8. A new day

A new day

Yes they’ll stay very hardy but in a couple of generations they’ll be brown

9. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

It's everyone's dream but I think long term get a tank for each type like @Gamma ;)

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts