fred new tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by top dog, Mar 5, 2018.

1. top dog

top dog

hey all
    finally got new system up and running.
    started off really poorly when i lost one of my Umbees. Ted Jump out the tank on his first night in it, i saved him put on thicker more substaintaul cover but for some unkowen reason he got threw it agin and died the second time.

Posting a bunch of pics of Fred who is starting to grow into the beast he is ment to be, loving the drift wood and is destroying food. Hoping not to long and he will be huge.
    fish ws 018.jpg fish ws 019.jpg fish ws 020.jpg fish ws 021.jpg fish ws 022.jpg fish ws 023.jpg

thanks for looking and please excuse poor pictures

Hendre likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

That fish is thick and has lovely colour! What is it exactly? You get different types of umbee right?

Sorry about the other one :(

4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

top dog likes this.
  5. OP
    top dog

top dog

@Hendre thanks
    he was just imported as a umbee so a little ambitious to claim a local on him, thou he does have very dark base color witch makes me thin there is a lot of Gorillas blue in him. Will get a better idea when he starts to mature, strange to think a 20cm plus fish is only starting to show off his adult color, but i am very excited at the prospect of a 40cm long 10cm wide bright blue monster

Nico Hamman and Hendre like this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

He is looking stunning @top dog.... Can only imagine what he will look like at maturity...
    Pitty about the other one...
    Tank looks very nice.. like the driftwood effect.
    This will really be interesting to follow

7. OP
    top dog

top dog

thank you @MariaS
    after seeing your tanks i was inspired.
    drift wood was used to try give cover and offer as much space as possible while still giving cover.
    umbees are far more open water species than most cichlids so spend alot of time swimming witch i tried to cater for.

looking at the growth rate thus far kinda wishing i went bigger with these tanks.

MariaS likes this.
  8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Glad you enjoyed it, it was a pleasure.
    The wood gives it a more appealing and natural look whilst as you say still ample swimming space for the 'little monster'

9. EnvironmentalBro

EnvironmentalBro

What a cool setup @top dog ! I love your choice of species too. I have just read up on it a bit and I see that Umbees occur in both Columbia and Panama making them CA and SA cichlids, very cool. I have never kept anything like it. Just seems weird to have such a massive tank dedicated to one fish but I would love to try it one day. I believe these large predatory cichlids view their tank and the space outside of the tank as their own territory which makes them very aggressive towards anything that they can see in the room!

10. OP
    top dog

top dog

fred already owns my lounge, tries to eat dogs, strangley enough he is quite comfortable with me or my wife when holding food but rest of the time we are hostile threats. Always have enjoyed the bigger angrier type of cichlid and umbees have been a real learning curve. I have 3400ltr of tank spread over 10 fish and wish i had space to fit more, these guys just seem to do better and give more back the more space and clean water and they have

EnvironmentalBro likes this.
  11. EnvironmentalBro

EnvironmentalBro

Haha that sounds very interesting. I'm not sure if you have seen this guy's videos on YT yet: but he has some really nice monster cichlids.

top dog likes this.
  12. OP
    top dog

top dog

love Andy
    he has some crazy fish and i love how excited he gets on his walk threw. his house is my dream. always upsets me watching youtube thou. Just how easy they get fish they want and they have access to 4 or 5 localities.
    here in SA it has been 15 years later to get where I am today and still uphill battle, plus i can not move babies when they breed so just becomes pointless trying to raise the fry.

EnvironmentalBro likes this.
  13. EnvironmentalBro

EnvironmentalBro

Yeah that is always the problem with having big fish, most people don't have the time or money to own them. It always amazes me how they manage to sell all the big fish that they breed. I imagine many of them end up being donated to aquariums. We don't really have big aquariums in Johannesburg. Maybe we should start one and cure MTS forever :)

14. OP
    top dog

top dog

JHB zoo and PTA zoo both have some large tanks, have donated bunch of babies of some fun stuff over the years, mostly cause i was trying to hustle some bared midas out them witch never happened. Director always happy to take stuff but there was no was i could get stuff.
    @EnvironmentalBro if you have the cash i will work for free

15. EnvironmentalBro

EnvironmentalBro

I haven't been to the Jhb zoo in years! Must maybe make a plan to check it out. I wish I had the money haha. The question is whether or not it would attract enough people to make it a worthwhile investment. Running costs must be very high in those public aquariums and I don't know how many people would be interested in seeing one in Jhb. You would probably have to have large marine systems as well and that is always going to be a challenge in an inland city.

16. Dinky

Dinky

Wow! Fred is one stunning fish!

top dog likes this.

Recent Posts