Fluval FX5 or Sump

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JDV, Mar 11, 2019.

1. JDV

JDV

Hi All

I have a question for all the smart people. On my 4ft malawi tank I have a Fluval FX5. I am itching to
    replace the FX5 with a 3ft Sump. My tank is not drilled I will have to use a overflow box or PVC overflow.

Do you think it will be worth the effort changing to a sump? The FX5 is coping fine with the bio load. Like I said its more a ich than anything ells.

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

IME the Fluval range of filters is excellent.
    If it's doing a good job on your tank (and no reason it shouldn't be), I would stick with it.

4. OP
    JDV

JDV

Awesome thanks @Reedfish, that was what i was thinking as well. The only other benefit I could see is an increase in water volume.
    The FX5 is doing an awesome job so var. So think I will stick with it.

5. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I had a Fluval 405 on my 4ft Malawi tank which was quite heavily stocked, and never had an issue.
    Don't know the exact parameters of the FX, but I think it has a decent volume.

6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

As much as I love a sump... I agree wit @Reedfish...
    Fluval are very good filters and if the filter is coping fine... why make changes?

Should lack of filtration become a problem at a later stage due to growth of the fish or increase in numbers then by all means then look at both otions and decide'

7. OP
    JDV

JDV

Thanks all for the Advice. Will stick with the Fluval for now.

8. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

I think the extra effort of a sump would only be justified when conventional filters become difficult to maintain or expensive with the tank volume

9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I agree.

These days canister filters are well made, efficient and reliable. (Usually!)
    IMO as long as a canister can give sufficient water turnover, I would tend to use one.
    On monster tank, where a canister is not powerful enough, that when a sump becomes more appropriate.

10. eros111

eros111

Just as a matter of interest - I have never had internal or HOB filters. All my tanks have sumps. If the power goes off - how long can a HOB filter survive before the bacteria die off?

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I don't have HOB filters either but I would think that if the power goes off, there will still be water in the filter which then be same as the sump

12. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Indeed how it works, unless your water level drops so far that the water would siphon out of the HOB.

MariaS likes this.
  13. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Makes sense but, I would then think that, like with a sump, you know where to keep your ideal water level so that it doesn't all syphon out?

14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Which is one of the reasons I think a canister is simpler.

15. BradK

BradK

I have an Hob, the water does completely not drain out. Sumps make more sense when over the counter filters are too small in volume to hold your media.

16. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I think both have their pros and cons
    As far as the fish/tank go...All depends on what size tank you have.. what fish you keep and stocking levels

From a simple/practical/ easy to maintain point, it depends on you and your circumstances
    A small canister for a smaller tank is easy... no problems
    When you start running big tanks with the big canisters like the FX6, Dophin C2400... they damn heavy... I have no idea what it weighs but a C2400 full of media and water weighs a good ... 25kg? I cant even budge it
    If you a young guy that can easily pick it up and take it out from under your tank and carry it out to clean, you ok
    If you a woman that has to do it alone or an older gentleman with back issues or other problems, its a pain in the behind to lift it out and carry it

With a sump its just so easy to take your media out into buckets with tank water, drain water put everything back and its done
    When it comes to flooding.. risk is the same
    If your water level is marked and right, your sump will not overflow
    On the other hand, I had popped seals and leaking canisters quite a few times with mine when I was running canisters

Personally, unless i down grade to a small tank, I will never run a canister again because it irritates the hell out of me if I know it needs to be clean and i cant just do it without asking for help.
    So.. like a lot of other things, you need to consider your circumstances and what works and is easier for you and then make your choice

eros111, JDV and Reedfish like this.

Recent Posts