Fluval accent 95l Stand diy

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Stephan Liebenberg, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Stephan Liebenberg

Stephan Liebenberg Chief McGill

I'm no handy man but I need to build a stand for my fluval Accent (currently on a coffee table) and will be posting the progress here (which will be slow though, so be patient)

Dimentions: 33.3cm (w) x 77. 5cm (L) X 51cm (h)

I will be building it out of recycled pallets and hope to get a sturdy design.

Step 1: stripping the pallets (I have more than I need though)

I hope to post a rudimentary sketch of the plan soon. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Pallets are cool, how do you plan on assembling it? I would also sand and varnish the pallets with sealant to make sure that water does not warp and damage the stand in any way. Good luck! :)

4. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

Good luck:thumbup:

5. OP
    Stephan Liebenberg

OK so here's the plan, it's very rough (I've never been great at drawing plans)

The fluval Accent tank takes 95l so it's safe to say it'll weigh over +100kg and I need this stand to be reliable.

The entire sides will be made up of 9×9cm thick planks, screwed together using some 2.5cm thick planks

There will be 1x 9×9cm in the centre front (can't put more since I hope to put doors there) the back will have 3x 9×9's

The top will be made up of the 2.5cm planks, braced underneath with more 2.5cm, to avoid warping.

The only thing I didn't draw was a shelf at the top third... My skills ended...

My first step; stripping the pallets is almost done - well I've stripped enough to actually start on the project, but I'm waiting on payday to get a belt sander - in the mean time I'm on the hunt for someone with a planer (electric preferably) since a lot of these planks are already warped (Even the big old 9×9's)

I really don't see myself sanding them into true!!! So anyone in the middelburg mp area give me a shout please!

Regards
    S. [​IMG]

6. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

A planer is a must if building something like this! And I recommend using an orbital sander over a belt sander, it is very easy to remove too much material with belts. I actually use one for bulk material removal on my utensils.

7. OP
    Stephan Liebenberg

Orbital? I thought you want to sand wood along its grain?

8. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Orbital sanders vibrate, so I you still work along the grain however you won't remove as much material as you would with a belt sander. If you find someone to help you plane the wood then I would definitely recommend a smaller hand sander than a belt.

I use a belt for bulk removal of material, and an orbital sander for finishing

Stephan Liebenberg likes this.
  9. OP
    Stephan Liebenberg

Update:

I have now assembled sanded and almost paineted everything! (unfortunately I couldn't find help with a plainer, so I was sanding forever!)

ALL that's left is 2 shelved inside, and to fit the door[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

Looks great! :thumbup:

11. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Looks good! Did you use nails or screws? I'd definitely treat it woth something to prevent swelling and water damage :)

12. OP
    Stephan Liebenberg

Yes will be treating it used self tapping screws

Hendre likes this.
  13. OP
    Stephan Liebenberg

Well, the stand was up this Saturday. Did a large water change and came home to this....

My Rams all died but 5 endlers soldiered on and I managed to put them in a quarantine tank, along with the 3 apple snails I had in there.

Tank has an awefull stench. Some strange fillement has formed over the plants woods and stones. The wood seems to be creating the stench though.

Might be worth noting that during this time of moving the tank I also changed out the substrate and added new driftwood (store baught)

I'm suspecting an ammonia spike however my tests showed 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Also I made sure to use seachem prime and to the best of my ability maintained the colony of bacteria on my sponge filter (I suspect a lot died off, regardless) I also used 25l of the old tank water.

I'm very sad. And not sure when I'll be continuing with this tank. I drained half its water leaving only the plants in there, (I have nowhere to put them but in the quarantine tank (25l) However I fear for some form of bacterial bloom and have decided to not risk transferring anything from the tank.

A sad day indeed.
    S. [​IMG]

14. Pezulu

Pezulu

That certainly seems like the tank crashed, causing the problems.

Remember that the water column does not carry much in the way of bacteria.
    You need seeded material from either another filter, substrate, or similar.
    An extra sponge filter in an established tank works well for me.

Apart from the Prime I would use Stability to get the bacteria levels up.
    Let the tank run for a couple of days, adding the Stability at the recommended dosages.

Did you boil or otherwise soak the wood before introducing it to your tank?
    Apart from getting rid of tannin the boiling process also kills off any pathogens that you may not want to introduce to your tank.

15. OP
    Stephan Liebenberg

I soaked the wood, and don't mind tannins - my suspicion is that the wood is grape vine (the store does not specify what wood it is) I don't think it was treated properly for tank use.

When I moved the tank, I syphoned out water into a 25l bucket and put my fish in there transferring my fish, plants, heater and filter into it (so my filter should have stayed active as far as my knowledge stretches) as I merely transfered it back without cleaning into the tank after moving it. I also syphoned that water back into the tank (reason was rather for the sake of water parameters - I figured a 100%water change would add stress to the fish that was avoidable. See previously I didn't have to change a lot of water (about 10% a week)

16. DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

Sorry about the loss!

Since you added the substrate & driftwood (and the other elements - water & filter - were the same), I would blame one of those two.

What substrate did you use?

I treat any wood with suspicion, until I've boiled it in salt water (to kill any potential pathogens).

17. DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

I like the stand, by the way :)

18. OP
    Stephan Liebenberg

Thanks, the substrate used is in a pic below (has quite a bit of iron in it as it sticks to the magnetic cleaners, yet is also somehow very light with some floating at the surface for quite a few weeks before they slowly start to sink) but I don't think it's the substrate as it is running perfectly fine in another setup. Wood was soaked for 3 days in a tub outside also no signs of trouble there (the tub has guppies, snails and a common plecco in)

I had the substrate running for one week no probs then added the wood (which was still not fully water logged so I left them floating in the tank) the next day all was lost.

I'm truly baffled, and my thought is that maybe I caused some bacterial bloom (overfeeding, rich substrate and some decaying wood?) which subsequently used up all the oxygen - since apple snails and endlers can both breathe surface water, only my poor little Rams were lost.

The reason for adding new wood was to be able to move my java fern and moss over to it, as the wood that it is on now is really quite rotten. The new wood also had a terrible stench to it (so much so that I chased people out the house with it.)

Never the less I am slowly recovering. I have done a 100%water change, however the water is still quite milky, with some transparent film covering almost everything (easily wiped off but floats around, and disintegrates in your hand)

Since the Rams previously uprooted the plants as they shoveled through the light gravel, I will, for now, only have a planted tank, and once all the roots are grounded I will add fish again.

Hopefull
    S. [​IMG]

19. braailegend

braailegend

Worst feeling! Sorry for your loss.

I had something similar, minus the cloudy water. Also with rams. For me it was bad water. I did a 50% change after the water was out for 3 days (four ways, Johannesburg), everything the same as always, but fish died. Think there was extra stuff in the water. Rams are finicky little fish

20. DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

I'm inclined to blame the wood, especially since you describe the stench. Perhaps bacteria/other organism die-off.

21. OP
    Stephan Liebenberg

Hi, everyone I thought it is past time I offer an update to the fluval 95l. I've managed to resurrect most of it.

Pics attached, but here's the changes:
    I've managed to get the Java ferns, crypts and swords growing again, but lost the Java moss (any sponsors in the witbank middelburg area?)
    I have added what is sold as 'star grass' to the left back 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately I don't see any growth. I have also added what was sold as 'a type of lily' (broad leaf in Centre) and it has grown roots well. Also some mysterious plant on the right that has not grown any roots but instead seems to be rotting, (will remove within the coming week if no growth is shown) also some seeds labeled in Chinese that was supposed to be a carpeting plant but instead floats as soon as the snails charges over them.

On the livestock side; 3 weeks ago I added 19 hatchet rasboras (some unfortunately did not make it) also 2 of my 3 massive apple snails has been donated to my LFS and I got a jade apple snail from Butterfingers. Lastly I have one remaining endler who has quite happily decided to join his new friends in a new fangled sport called 'Schooling'. Although he's not quite sure what they are learning.

Friends that it for now, enjoy the kikis! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

MariaS and Hendre like this.

Recent Posts