Fluidized Filters

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by David Kusner, Feb 7, 2019.

1. David Kusner

David Kusner

Hi Guys

I have been doing some research on fluidized filters and I am thinking of building a small internal fluidized filter, using pool filter sand as the filter media. Anyone ever tried this?

Regards
    David

Adrian Gatter likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

Why PFS? Why not k3 media?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

4. Mister MP

Mister MP

Hi. I haven't tried this before, but I have heard of people and friends doing this. They say it is quite good and helps with filtration a lot. It is worth a try, in my opinion.

5. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

I dont think k3 media would be effective in this size filter as its not going to be very big, probably max 2 liters. Is k3 even available in SA?

6. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

Ah, yes so what I understand is for fluidised you need LARGE volume.
    Yes, there's K2/k3 available down the road for dirt cheap. If you want to try it pm me and I'll post you some.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@David Kusner ... Fluidized filters are awesome but I dont know if a 2l space is worth doing fluidized...
    You need volume to really reap the benefit

We running a fluidized bed on a 3.2m x 1.2m x 850 tank but the fluidized section of the sump is probably 500 x 650 x 650
    I suppose you can do it but dont know if that small amount of media will provide more filtration than if you had to fill it with matrix
    You have to leave space for the media to move so in a 2l section, very little media will be able to fit and leave space for it to move
    I could be wrong..

8. top dog

top dog

there is a local version of k1 witch is pretty cheap
    tried to do a sand fluidized bed a few time, always been far more effort than positive gains made to the filter.
    using local k1 in a sump now, stopped using air pump cause the noise level was too much, needed 30ltr per minute for it to fluidize correctly and when it work it was great. now using a 6500ltr water pump far quieter but quite a bit less effective.

on new tank i am doing i am not using a fluidized bed at all.

9. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

What is the goal for building a 2l filter like this?

I would rather do a water polisher of that size.

Later Ferdie

Innocent159 and MariaS like this.
  10. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

The Water polisher is good, but only that a short term solution to give a quick water polish. I am looking to compliment the current canister filtration with a more permanent internal option, like a fluidized sand filter.

11. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

12. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Ok decided over the weekend to get a bag of purigen. Damn expensive compaired to the same cost for superior carbon. Anyhow the reason I purchased it is because I am not 100% happy with the water calrity on my new 400 liter. Read about it on the forum. Where is the best place to put it, overhead filter or canister filter?

Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

13. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@David Kusner ,

I would say the overhead filter for ease of access

But, I would like to add (and this is my opinion) that I would not add Purigen yet to a tank that is still in its early days of settling/maturing and strictly speaking being fully cycled
    The Purigen not only helps clarify the water but also absorbs ammonia which at this stage you need it to feed the bacteria and help it multiply in your filters

14. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Very valid point, perhaps I am been a bit impatient. I will continue the weekly water changes and install a bigger water polisher for now. I suspect that the first 40KG of PFS that I used was very dusty and even after washing it, it was still very dusty amd I think this is playing a big factor.

Also now that you mention it and I think about it with regards to the new tank not been fully cycled, when I setup the tiny tank in my office last year, it also took a long time to cycle and build bacteria. But eventually it became crystal. With a tiny filter a few ceramic tubes and a tiny bag of carbon.

I guess I am just not used to setting up new tanks from scratch. My last one was setup from scratch 13 years ago.

MariaS likes this.
  15. BradK

BradK

With regards to PFS. I bought mine from builders warehouse. It was my first time using this stuff but I never had an issue with cloudiness. I washed a ton and when it was crystal clear to me..i washed it again. Then it took like an hour or two until it was super clear in my tank.

16. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Pool filter sand is awesome but yes... it takes a lot of washing to ensure all the dust is out
    It happened to me a while back, i was actually just topping up an existing tank and I dont know why but even after all the washing I had a bit of cloudiness so just hang in there and carry on with the water changes and a bigger water polisher and it will come right

I dont know if you using it or not but the other thing we always do is a 7 to 10 day course of Stability to help the cycling and stabilize the tank and it really woks
    We will be setting up the big 3.3 X1.2m tank that @Cesar has been posting, probably in about 4 weeks time and even though the media is all spread out amongst the existing sumps, we have already bought a 2l Stability bottle and will still add that for the first 10 days

You have done very well so far so just hang in there
    Long term, you will have to keep an eye that the builtin top filters that these ready made tanks come with, provide enough filtration for the size fish you keeping
    but for now just let everything settle

17. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Thanks MariaS I will try the stabilty. Good luck with the huge tank. It must be awesome. I love big tanks, I think they are great since their is so much scope for different things that you can do in a big tank.

MariaS likes this.
  18. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks ....

It is awesome and very exciting but until its all up and running smoothly also very stressing!!!

Recent Posts