Fish tank light advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nealos6, Nov 26, 2017.

1. nealos6

nealos6

Hi all,

What cost effective light system should I fit into my canopy? I'm not looking to grow plants, the light will be used purely to view the fish and aquarium. The tank is a standard 45cm tank with black canopy. Would the easiest and best method to just get a light and ballast from the LFS? Any suggestions are welcome!

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

If it's just to view fish, a daylight (white) tube would be best. Lights towards the red and blue spectrum have other purposes, but the main issue is that they may also encourage algal growth.

You can use a regular tube you'd buy from the hardware or lighting store, but I don't think you'd be able to find a ballast that would fit inside your hood there, too. In that case, you can get the ballast from your LFS.

LED lights are also an option, but can be more costly. I currently use an encased LED set up (like a 'shop light') that I got from a hardware store, and it's very effective. All I had to do was attach a plug.

Regards,

nealos6 likes this.
  4. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

5. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I can't believe I'm going to say this as I really don't like the brand but the boyu white tubes is the best I've seen when it comes to viewing only. They run in the red and blue spectrum so it brings out the colours very well. The down side is that they are algae growing champs so even normal periods of light with one of these things is a nightmare.

A 10W led spot would be a good option too and it doesn't require a ballast and is water proof to some degree as they are outdoor lights. Cheap LED strips from china town is also a low cost option.

6. Pezulu

Pezulu

Most hardware stores sell T5/T8 LED replacement tubesd in various sizes nowadays.
    They don't need a ballast.
    All you would need is a waterproof T5/T8 light fitting, and some way to attach the tube to the canopy.
    I have found that standard spring steel clips work well. You can attach them to the canopy either with nuts and bolts or rivets.
    They hold standard sized tubes firmly.

41CligmocHL.jpg

Here is an example of the T5 LED replacement tubes:
    https://www.sustainable.co.za/fl-t5-300mm-led-tube.html

7. OP
    nealos6

nealos6

Why don't you like Boyu?

8. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

The way they make the fish look. White light drowns out the colours a bit. Will look through my pics to see if I have an example.

9. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

SORRY MY MISTAKE
    , it's the aquaglo I was thinking about. I don't like the boyu because it grows algae almost overnight, I removed it after a week. The aquaglo is also a algae grower but not as bad, just don't leave it on for long. Both these lights go into the red and blue spectrum, they are designed for viewing not growing. The boyu has a green tint to it that I also didn't like to much.

6500K White LED spot. kind of looks bland.
    20160724_171808.jpg

The AQUAGLO.
    IMG_20170215_194030.jpg

discusjay likes this.
  10. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Just another thing. The agualgo has a bit of a pink tint to it so if you don't like that don't go for it.

Here's a google pic of a comparison.
    download (2).jpg

11. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I'm leaning towards what @Pezulu said.

The LED tube looks great.

LED tube.jpg

12. OP
    nealos6

nealos6

What’s the easiest method to stick the LED to the canopy?

13. Pezulu

Pezulu

41CligmocHL.jpg

14. OP
    nealos6

nealos6

I managed to purchase a lovely and very strong 5W LED set up from the LFS. Now the next question, would this be sufficient for low level plants? Or should I stick to the fake plants and decor for now?

15. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

5Watt on a 45 cm tank .. Anubias, java moss and fern maybe bolbitis - tick is it need to be very low at water level and not have blue light and a big component nothing will grow fast but should be able to stay alive to degree all depending on the Led light, not all light that states 5 watt will give you great lumens or it will be very spot like and not cover entire 45cm

later Ferdie

Recent Posts