First Tank - Ideas, Preparation, Requirements (Help wanted)

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Luke, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Luke

Luke

Hi guys.

I'm planning a small tank for my desk at home to create a sort of zen working space for myself. While it won't be my first time partaking in fish care, it will be the first time it is my own tank. I generally help my friend take care of his quite often so the cleaning and feeding processes aren't entirely new to me.

What sets his tank apart from what I have in mind is that I would like to start with a planted tank, I find that tanks with artificial or unnatural looking decor do not catch my eye.

I have a stunning piece of Turquoise glass rock that I would like to use as a piece of hardscaping which I am keeping until I've started collecting all the pieces and parts I need. I am unsure if moss will grow to this as the surface is very smooth but I am curious to give it a go.

As it will be a small tank, I have a few questions regarding the flora and fauna I should keep.

Regarding fish, I have been split between a small school of neon tetras or simply one beautiful betta.
    I would also like to keep shrimp and one or two snails in the tank for cleaning purposes. On all this I am looking for suggestions, or ideas as I do not want to cause chaos in the tank and would preferably have a peaceful, natural scene to watch and care for.

For plants, I am looking to get my hands on HC/Cuba/Dwarf Baby Tears (whatever it is called) for carpeting. Is this a hard plant to grow? Does it carpet well? How much light would I need for this combined with my choices of fish? Where can it be found cheap?

I am also looking for suggestions on moss types, as well as mid and background plants to either contrast or compliment the turquoise glass in an aesthetic manner!

I'd love to hear opinions and suggestions, also, if anyone is knowledgeable on pricing of items such as aquatic plants, I'd love to find out.

Another thing I am curious about is the availability of rocks and wood for hardscaping. Some retailers are selling full on boulders for pricey amounts (just in case I wanted to contest table mountain, y'know ;)), while other, cheaper options seem like risky online buys.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. Guest

3. Pezulu

Pezulu

A tank on your desk need not be small, depending on your definition of the word.
    I have 2 x small 20cm as well as a 60cm tank on my desk.

If you want to go the planted route, a good substrate will be essential.
    Prodibio, Langa, Seachem Flourite or ADA Amazonia will all work well.

I like the Zetlight range of LED lights, and you should find one that suites your requirements.
    For a small 20cm - 45cm tank a Zetlight 1200P should fit well, or for a slightly bigger tank a Zetlight Lancia will do the trick.
    Connect it to the optional WiFi controller and receiver, and you can program the lights to 5 different time zones, which can be customised.

Most fish will predate on shrimp, especially on shrimplets.
    You will need hiding space for them, and HC will do the trick.
    A small piece of driftwood with some Bucephelandra or Anubias Nana will also work well in the tank.

You are limited to the number of fish you can keep by the tank size.
    In a 20cm tank you can keep 5-6 small fish the size of CPD's, or a single Betta.
    A bigger tank will allow a few more fish.
    A Betta will actively hunt even adult shrimp though.

You could perhaps decide on a shrimp only tank, particularly in a Nano tank.
    Starting with 10 good quality Red Cherries, you will soon have a thriving community that you will need to thin out.

HC appreciates the addition of CO2, although it is not absolutely necessary.
    You could also use a liquid CO2, like Seachem Excel or Scape Carbon.
    A complete CO2 system will work just as well, if not better.
    Should you decide to use CO2 you will require a timer, to switch off the CO2 system at night, and start it in the morning.
    Additional fertiliser will also be required, and Seachem Flourish together with Seachem Iron should work.
    Scape Complete is just as good as Flourish, although Scape do not have an Iron supplement as far as I know.

A good filtration system will be a necessity as well.
    If you have the space I would suggest a small HOB.
    You can fill the filter body with something like Seachem Matrix, which gives lots of biological filtration and space for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Instead of traditional Java or Flame moss, you could try your hand at Susswassertang.
    It has a more compact growth pattern, grows easier, and is nearly indestructible.
    You could even try a Susswassertang wall, by using a small sheet of plastic mesh with the Susswassertang woven into it.

At the end of the day the setup of the tank is going to be your choice.
    Take your time to do some research, and make your choice after that.
    You can also change things as you progress.

I'm looking forward to the progress of your tank.
    Take lots of pictures, and keep us appraised of the progress.

Luke likes this.

Recent Posts