Finrot?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Lowflyer7, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Hi guys. My wife's angel's fins are looking like this at the moment. Any advice?

IMG_20190227_184528.jpg

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Lowflyer7 ,

It could be, cant tell for sure from the picture but, check your water parameters first

Fin rot doesnt stat for no reason

What other fish are in the tank?
    You sure no one is picking on it?

You can add some salt to help it heal but you must try see if you can establish what the cause could be

4. OP
    Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Thanks Maria

The other fish in the tank are 6 Neon Tetras, one other Angel and 2 Cory cats.

THE only other thing I can think of is that the other angel is fighting and chasing it.

Will check water parameters. All other fish have fins in perfect condition.

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

It could well be the other Angel, another member had same problem earlier in the week also with two Angels
    Maybe two males?

I had same problem since we had to move all @Cesra's fish into our other tanks while the new tank is being built
    My green severum's tail and fins started same way and were actually starting bleed
    There is certainly nothing wrong with my water or the rays would be first to get sick
    I then realized that the very big Geo male of Cesar's was chasing and picking on my green severum who is very, very placid
    The Uaru's stand up to him and so does the red shoulder severum so he backs off from them but the green severum runs away so was getting picked on
    I moved him to the grow out tank and added couple spoons salt and he is healing nicely
    So could well be what's happening... you will have to keep a close eye and see if you can see anything
    If water is ok then its all I can think of

6. BradK

BradK

What kind of salt do you guys use?

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Alot of people insist it must be Aquarium salt from the LFS

I must admit that I have used normal table salt for years with no side effects
    Its not like you using it long term, its only a few days
    I have read the results of many studies where its proven that it would take bags and bags of table salt for the small amount of iodone in table salt to actually harm the fish
    In fact the exact words were, you would have to pickle your fish before the amount of Iodine becomes hamful

I have used table salt with Aros, exotic catfish, corries, loaches, many different cichlids, stingrays, rainbows, gouramis.. you name it and I have had no problems

Some people might disagree and take off at me but... this is from first hand experience and anyone can see from my threads the health and condition of our fish..

8. BradK

BradK

I'm happy with first hand experience. So where can I find what amounts to use and for what situations.

9. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

For mild cases of Ich or help heal injuries 2 tablespoons for 5 gallons

For severe cases 3 tablespoons for 5 gallons
    About 4 years ago I had a really serious Ich outbreak thought I was going to lose all my loaches and I pushed to 4 tablespoons for 5 gallons but then not so high temperatures and lots of bubbles they all pulled through

I always mix the salt in boiling water in a bowl and let it cool
    I then throw in half the required dose and the other half 4 or 5 hours later
    I also usually throw in the filter so it gets pumped into the tank
    If you cant do that pour it slowly where the spray bar of your filter is so its spread evenly quickly

Recent Posts