Filtration help

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Animal, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Animal

Animal

So I'm moving in to my new house this weekend. Standerd with the hous is n tank that I want to make n tropical tank. The dimensions is 1.8mx600x600 the tank has no filter I'm thinking of n side filter because there is no space under the tank. First how big should the filter on this tank be? Then how should it work ,under and over or what and what material should I use. I want to put discus in the tank. Please assist me on this

2. Guest

3. rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

u can go canister x2 and must have at least 3500LPH FOR BOTH. i not sure but with discus u may need more LPH. Eheim,tetra and resun is i hve used them before i know here by us at petmasters u can get a 2800lph RESUN cannister for about R1800-R2100 +-!

I am using only a 1200lph cannister(SEACHEM MEDIA ONLY) and a 1200lph internal filter together 2400lph in my 700L TANK, but its hold up for now, and i only have 3x ca cichlids and 2x leopard plecos!

4. OP
    Animal

Animal

Thanks for the reply rednox. So will the internal side filter not work? Canister filters are so pricesie.

5. rednox

rednox CA Cichlids

internal alone on that size not really, u can give it a go, and as u want to go discus then u need really good filter system and internal may not cut it!

if u do go internal u will have to get 2x 2000lph+ internal filters with spray bars or make your own spray bars and that even can be to little!!

mayby fill one with seachem matrix!

6. OP
    Animal

Animal

Ok made some space for n sump filter because it sounds like the best way to go decided to go with n sump filter now please some advice. 1st the sump is 1.2x400x400(192l) the tank holds 650l wil this be big enough. 2de how many compartments should it have and then what should I put in them for filter material. Some help please!!

7. PsyXe

PsyXe

Cool, sump is great for discus. Will be big enough. Design and number of compartments is a big source of debate! Here's a good thread with ideas - note that the Prof's sump is side-by-side, but I see no reason why it couldn't be adapted for under-tank use. As for media, there are a lot of options. It depends on your budget. If you're looking for high volume and low cost, buy plastic pot scourers (the discus people call them pot scrubbies or pot scubbies). Just make sure they don't have any soap, grease or other chemicals on them: wash (plain water!) and check well before use. If your budget is bigger you have endless types of ceramic rings and moulded plastic media, bio-balls, matrix etc.

8. OP
    Animal

Animal

Thanks PsyXe I read through the link and wil take it in consideration when I build my sump.

9. dhameer

dhameer

also use bio filters for discus, you notice the difference in a few months once its cycled

Recent Posts