Filter cleaning.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Stever, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Stever

Stever

So I have now gathered that filters must keep beneficial bacteria in them. So how exactly do you clean them? Or how often? I have a canister filter and how I used to clean it was replace carbon' was out or replace sponge or cotton wool. And then replace athena ammonium chips. That being said last time I did that was 2-3 years ago. My current tank is sadly very neglected.

2. Guest

3. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Rinse the sponge in aquarium water and then place it back into the filter. The carbon and filter wool will need to be replaced with fresh ones. I clean my filters weekly in this way but I have sponge filters and small fish. maybe someone with a canister filter can give advice. But I am pretty sure it should be more frequent than 2-3 years

4. OP
    Stever

Stever

By aquarium water you mean the water you drained from the aquarium for top ups?

5. AmithS

AmithS

Correct water drained from the tank.

What canister filter do you have, tank size and fish in tank. Will give a better idea of maintenance requirements...

6. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Yes. Exactly what I meant

7. OP
    Stever

Stever

Dolphin c500 and 2 or 3 fish in a plus minus 170 l tank. One is a small fish about neon tetra size

20181109_111556.jpg

8. OP
    Stever

Stever

The other fish seems to be a Abramites hypselonotus or marbled headstander

9. Gamma

Gamma

I would recommend cleaning it at least once every 2-3 months if its only 3 small fish.

Rinse out the course sponge, replace the filter wool and carbon and gently shake of any detritus on the ceramic rings if you have any in the tank.

Also clean the pipes of the filter, normally my pipes was one of the major reasons why my flow was reduced...

10. OP
    Stever

Stever

But once I move over to a planted tank then I should not use carbon. Right?

11. Gamma

Gamma

I still used carbon/ Seachem purigen in my canister when I had a planted tank. It does absorb some ferts, but if done correct it has minimal impact.
    I did eventually remove it as I did not want to replace it monthly haha.

12. OP
    Stever

Stever

I am lazy.... and admit I lost interest for a while. What did you replace the carbon with?

13. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

There really is no need to use carbon all the time. Use it to remove meds and if tannins bother you if you use wood until it stops leaching.

14. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Rather use the space for matrix or ceramic rings.

15. OP
    Stever

Stever

Matrix?

16. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Seachem matrix. Much larger surface area for your bacteria colony.

17. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Make sure you rinse the matrix or ceramic rings in aquarium water from time to time to remove the mulm and do regular water changes.

18. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Look into a pre-filter for your canister filter. Will cut down on maintenance of your canister filter. You do not need ammonium chips once your tank is cycled.

19. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Stever,
    As has been said, how often you need to clean your filter depends on how many fish you going to have in the new tank, how much you feed and your maintenance program

My advice is, after about 6 weeks to 2 months, you open your filter and see how dirty it is
    IF you see its fairly clean, next time you can leave it a little longer etc... by doing this you will slowly establish what your particular tank requires

As for media... Chuck the charcoal.... if your tank is correctly maintained, you don't need charcoal.
    As @Nico Hamman said, use the space for extra media like ceramic rings... Seachem Matrix (expensive but very good) some people use lava rock as well

Don't use stuff like zeolite or ammonia chips, you should not need to use them if your tank is cycled and maintained
    In fact, there are certain risks involved in using zeolite or ammonia chips as certain studies have shown that under certain circumstances they can release the ammonia back into the water.
    As I said, if your tank is well filtered and maintained, the media should take care of the natural cycle of getting rid of ammonia without ammonia chips

Purigen is an excellent product, I have used on occasion for specific reasons like removing tannins or meds but do not use it as a matter of routine to make my water clear and when I feed my tank looks like a war zone
    If I post pictures of my tank at feeding time, everyone will say Oh My God!!
    Half an hour later, my water is crystal clear with no purigen or charcoal.
    The sponges/wool do get replaced every 3 or 4 days but that's just because of my fish, you wouldn't need to do that
    All Im saying is.. if things are working right your wool and media together with water changes are sufficient to keep your tank spotless.

More importantly, using ammonia chips or purigen in a tank that's just been set up and cycling is a no go as you are interfering with the establishment of your bacteria colony

Always drain water from the tank into a bucket or two and rinse your media in that water
    Keep your media in water from the tank at all times while you rinse the filter itself or do anything else you might be busy with
    If your media dries out, the bacteria dies off.

Hope this helps

20. Ammar

Ammar

do you all replace wool? i know its super cheap but i have a trickle filter that is 2M long, it takes about 5bags of LFS wool to cover it... thats 50 bux every week for wool..
    I wash mine and reuse a few time but i do it under tap water.. I have lava rock and ceramic underneath not sure if im knocking a big chunk of my good bacteria like that..

21. OP
    Stever

Stever

Wow... aquariums seem to be a lot of work.... might have to give up on home repairs. Lol. I think I should make a new thread about my current tank. And post some ugly photos of what it looks like then maybe see what can be done to fix it up

Recent Posts