Ferryman's Plants need ID's

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Ferryman, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

I decided to take photos of everything i have now, and ask whomever has the most knowledge on plants to help me id the stuff, so here goes, piccies ahoy

Please remember, i dont know what i have, so if something is blacklisted, please don't just jump in all gungho and write

• BLACKLISTED!!!!!
    in the answer, i would still like to know the name or better yet, the scientific name of my occupant if possible

rite, here goes

1 . a type of vallis, though its a thin leaf, and new growth is dark/red/purple or something
    [​IMG]

2 .
    [​IMG]

3 .
    [​IMG]

4 .
    [​IMG]

5 .
    [​IMG]

6 .
    [​IMG]

7 .
    [​IMG]

8 .
    [​IMG]

9 .
    [​IMG]

10 .
    [​IMG]

11 .
    [​IMG]

12 .
    [​IMG]

13 .
    [​IMG]

14 .
    [​IMG]

15 . a type of ambulia, lower leaf density than one behind it
    [​IMG]

16 . another, more dense kinda ambulia?
    [​IMG]

17 .
    [​IMG]

18 .
    [​IMG]

19 . some type of alternanthera, the flowers at every node, are also red, not white like some pics i found of the plant
    [​IMG]

20 .
    [​IMG]

21 .
    [​IMG]

22 . a more broad leaved vallis type, max height still under 30cm
    [​IMG]

23 .
    [​IMG]

24 .
    [​IMG]

25 .
    [​IMG]

26 .
    lots of these little leaves inbetween the riccia, i even saw some of the little leaves with a tiny root on
    [​IMG]

okay, i think a caught i pic of everything

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

hehe you are having way to much fun

24 - sorry wrong bag, I am trying to get rid of this in my tanks - following a post some time back. - Ceratophyllum demersum

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  4. Reafer

Reafer

15&16 - Limnophila Sessiliflora

25-Rotala Wallichii i think

5. neilh

neilh

3. Looks like Alternanthera Reineckii
    5,6 and 11 look like Bacopa Monnieri
    14. Pennywort
    25. Rotala Wallichii

6. carl p

carl p

nice thread

7. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

Too much fun, never, lol. Yes, i work at a nursery, i grow flowers, plants in general, succulents and bonsai and like a bit of garden scaping as well, so i like plants, especially knowing how to identify them, so i like learning.

What do you mean wrong bag? Btw, hornwort, right? why do you want to get rid of it? is it on the blacklist or whats wrong with it? i've read its a very good plant to have for fry to hide in?

Reafer, you sure 15 and 16 are exactly the same species? the first has a very basic leaf structure as opposed to the latter,
    15 - 7 leaves are radially spread out, each broad-ish
    16 - 10 leaves spread out radially, thinner spread and much finer structure, i'm of the opinion they are both ambulia, but different species?

neilh, pic 6 is not bacopa, its a floating plant, doesn't have that same 'succulent' type structure to it either, but i can see out of context how it would look the same... bit its a tiny, stringy floating plant

Thanks for the ID's thus far!!
    Btw, does anyone know where i can get some ebooks or such on aquatic plants?

8. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

"What do you mean wrong bag? Btw, hornwort, right? why do you want to get rid of it? is it on the blacklist or whats wrong wit..." Yeah hornwort ... Hmmmm and here I was busy throwing bags of the stuff away - cause we get told that all floating plants are illegal.

<rant>
    This legal vs none import vs alien vs blacklist, grey list, allowed list and OK if from local stock list is just way complicated for something that is supposed to be fun. I'd like to see a rule if I can buy it at a LFS - it is all good. Bust the dealer not the addict. (Bumper sticker ?)
    </rant>

I'll shoot some pics of some of these plants in a non-pruned state ... might make it easier to identify.

9. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

thanks fish

I was thinking today that i really want to contact someone in the legal department who does environmental law, and thereafter email the dep of agriculture or which ever ministerial portfolio is in charge of the administration of the Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act, or the Conservation of Agricultural Resources Act

the whole issue of the lists are starting to irritate the crap outta me, as the law even states that every province will have to set up its own list of what is allowed or not, so, which province does the quoted lists so far relate to?

that same list states that many of the plants are "known to be invasive" in other countries, and as such have been listed in south africa as a preventative measure to them becoming invasive in sa, but thusfar public awareness on what is permitted or not is pathetic, if not non-existant to a great extent.

i would like one of my lecturers to run me through how these regulations truly affect the individual, as there is also a rule in law that these regulations must be enforcable to be effective law. so i would like to know what is only of import to new importations, what is effectively instated against the individual collector etc. hell, if the process of applying for a permit to keep some of the listed species is easy enough, i'll even go through that shlep and get it over with

10. Sean J

Sean J

6 could be either Mictanthemum Umbrosium or Micranthemum Micranthemoides.
    11 Is a Bacopa maybe Monniere
    14 Pennywort
    15 and 16 look like Limnophela Sessiflora
    17 Looks Like a Ludwigia
    21 looks like a Peace Lily. Terrestrial plant.
    25 is Definitely Rotala Wallichii.
    26 is probably Duckweed.

With regards to the black list... If one is responsible with their plants, then there should be no reason to keep the things. As long as you don't tell anyone and as long as you don't dump them in local waterways, that's fine. Besides, how are you to know what is banned and what is not if you are buying stuff in a pet store?

11. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

thanks, though to add, 21 is diffinately not Spathiphyllum, that i'm sure of
    17, i checked my practical aquarium guide now-now and thought the same, although the top growth doesn't have that 'rose' look to it, but that might not be a necessary trait, so its probably the same

i'll add an extra piccy of number 6, i dunno if it would make roots to stick in the soil, but still, it does possibly look like Micranthemum Umbrosium, thanks

thats an arguement to it, but funny enough, another rule in law is, not having known, is not an excuse, so it should be better promoted in the public knowledge sector, or at least on posters in LFS's

i just checked another piece of 17, it had the rose form growth

could 13 possibly be giant red bacopa? bacopa caroliniana?

Photo001.jpg

12. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Here goes ... one of the tanks after trim ... (first trim in 8 weeks since planted) [​IMG]
    I think 26 is the stuff that is covering the ground between the grass.

I have also uploaded a sideshow of the above tank ... different angles light etc. http://www.f-fish.net/Home/slide-shows/september-2009

I also added some cuttings from my Lucky 13 tank
    [​IMG]

And also some might have slipped in from here - big broad leaf stuff in the back.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  13. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

Okay, upon reinspection

It seems alot of the photos are the same plants, so here is a renewed list

1 . Vallisneria, but it has RED/PURPLE or something in the leaves? maybe Vallisneria gigantea marmor??
    [​IMG]

2 . some kinda stem plant, will attach a better piccy
    [​IMG]

6 . small, thin leaves, very thin stem, is it micranthemum umbrosum?? hasn't made any roots yet - was in the baggie with the riccia
    [​IMG]

7 . some kinda sword maybe? red in the stem, silvery below the leaves
    [​IMG]

8 . grows on a long stem, longish thin leaves, will attach a non blurry piccy
    [​IMG]

11 . Probably Bacopa Monnieri
    [​IMG]

13 . Giant Red Bacopa maybe?? Bacopa caroliniana??
    [​IMG]

14 . Pennywort, Hydrocotyle leucocephala?
    [​IMG]

15 . a type of ambulia, lower leaf density than one behind it, is it sessiflora, or another variety? or just emersed growth? the leaf bits look smaller and less lush than its neighbours (bought this from LFS)
    [​IMG]

16 . another ambulia, higher densitym fluffy, has a red appearence to new growth. Limnophila sessiflora? got this from fish.
    [​IMG]

17 . Ludwigia repens
    [​IMG]

18 . Dunno, but its not the same as below...
    [​IMG]

19 . alternanthera reineki probably, though i dunno if the red flowers make it a different variety or subspecies, i think it was grown emmersed, read the flowers only form above water??
    [​IMG]

22 . Vallisneria spiralis, the common straight type, wonder if it will flower...
    [​IMG]

23 . another bit of floating plant, possibly the same thing as 6, was in the baggie with riccia, is it baby tears?
    [​IMG]

24 . Hornwort, Ceratophyllum demersum
    [​IMG]

25 . Rotala wallichii - whorly rotala - a tiny piece, will let it float, see if it grows more
    [​IMG]

26 .
    lots of these little leaves inbetween the riccia, i even saw some of the little leaves with a tiny root on, so guessing you guys are right, duckweed, lemna minor?
    [​IMG]

So,
    unidentified: 2, 7, 8, 18
    unconfirmed: 1, 6, 13, 19, 23
    and i'd like some clarity on the density and leaf structure difference between 15 and 16

Thanks for your help so far guys!

plus attachments here, 1st is 2.
    second is 8. excuse the weird colours, hp cam whitebalance went all weird

and 3 is of course the closeup of 6/23

HPIM1029.jpg

HPIM1028.jpg

Photo001.jpg

14. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

Did we deplete the TASA knowledge base on plants now? :eek:
    c'mon guys, i know there's a few gurus on here who nail plant names first try, where are you guys?

:D You know you wanna show off...:D

15. Reafer

Reafer

15 & 16 are definatly Limnophila sessiflora i have alot of it in my tanks and they do look abit different but it could be emmerst growth
    this is also Limnophila sessiflora
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so it could be going though its immerst change

16. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

cool, thanks for that! now i can scratch that q off.
    weird how the above is also sessiflora, it looks so different

just did a wikisearch
    Description

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    in Hyderabad, India.

Looks superficially rather similar to Cabomba but it has leaves in proper whorls, about 1.2 inches (3cm) in diameter. The leaves are pinnate and bright green in colour. Under strong light the leaves take on a reddish hue. Can reach over 16 inches (40cm) in height. The submerse leaves are very different from the emerse forms - dark green, more or less lance-shaped. The fruit are capsules, ellipsoid, 3.5-5.5 mm long, green-brown when submersed, dark brown when emersed.

didn't even know it had fruit, cool, probably needs optimum conditions though... has anyone ever seen Vallisneria spiralis flower?

17. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

i just got hold of the Encyclopedia of Aquarium plants, and found that the Lagarosiphon major, or african waterweed, with its characteristic curly leaves looks just like my elodea in my tank...
    Now, when i first posted that my first two plants were vallis and elodea, it was directly afterwards stated that the elodea is blacklisted and therefor a no-no to talk about... aparently called the african water weed, synonymous with elodea crispa, the Lagarosiphon major is native to south africa, and not on the blacklist

[​IMG]

look at the plant to the left
    [​IMG]

(to the right is Egeria densa)

so i guess this means the blacklist gun went off prematurely and i am actually allowed to mention my elodea as well

18. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

Should i rather post this ID thread on that plant forum?

19. veegal

veegal

You can't move the thread Ferryman - I'm sure if the mods want it moved they will do it for you :)

20. OP
    Bufamotis

Bufamotis

no, i meant, repost the question on the aquatic plants forum, those guys should know their plants right?
    (then again, most of them have an id on here aswell.)

i'm just thinking, cause 128 views but only 17 replies, kinda sucks right

21. veegal

veegal

Yip it does kinda suck - post it on apsa as well - you'll most likely get a bigger response there :)

Recent Posts