Fahaka Puffers - Fresh Water Puffer Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by David Kusner, Jun 20, 2019.

1. David Kusner

David Kusner

Hi All,

Any members currently on the forum who have any experience with the Fahaka fresh water puffer fish?

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I've worked with a number of different puffer species... but no, nothing quite so large as the fahaka puffer.

I can say that you'll find that there are similar needs that need to be fulfilled, such as nice and clean water (especially with the messy, high-protein diet), hard-shelled foods offered (in the case of a large fish like that prawns, clams, mussels etc. will be a staple), and being wary of tankmates. On that last point, it is sometimes indicated that this species doesn't nip (or eat) it's tankmates, as some other puffer species are prone to do. However, this can come down to personality, so when mixing with other fish (including other puffers), it is always a bit of a risk.

This species is known to grow fast, too. Probably because they look like they're so fun to feed :tt2: but with that in mind, you will need a large tank from the get-go.

MariaS likes this.
  4. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I have never kept puffers but i have been doing quite a bit of research as I was tempted to get one or two

Agree with @SalmonAfrica , however Im not so sure about the Fahaka with tank mates.. its come across to me like its not often done

I see most of the people wih puffers in LARGE community tanks, keep the MBU puffer instead

As I said, this is not from experience, its what i have been seeing in a lot of posts from people overseas

5. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

I have also done quite a bit of research. The Mbu gets very big, much bigger than the Fahaka and needs a massive tank 1000 to 2000 liters at least.

The Fahaka doesn't get as big as the Mbu, but is apparently a bit more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MariaS likes this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Yes, its also what I have seen

Most of the people with Fahaka have to keep them in species only tank.... so for now.... Im skipping the idea

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

My lfs gets fahakas periodically. Will post a photo when I get back home (I am away)

They tend to be quite pricey for a small fish, but as @SalmonAfrica says, they grow fast apparently.

MariaS likes this.
  8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Last I heard here you looking at anything between 6 and 8k..

9. Kiaan26

Kiaan26

If you really want to try get a community type puffer check amazon puffers. Or there's also smaller ambush predatory puffers such as the mekong or humpback puffers both are aggressive but require a lot smaller tank than a fahaka puffer.

Recent Posts