External Sump Filtration System

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dwarf, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:29 AM.

1. Dwarf

Dwarf

Good Day All. I have a 180 liter tank that has a built in baffle type sump filtration system and it works really well.

In order to build a sump for use in with a standard rectangular tank, must a hole be drilled into the tank to allow water to flow into the sump, or can the pump in the sump be used to draw water from the aquarium?

2. Guest

3. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Unfortunately you will be using 2 pumps. One to draw water feom the tank and another 2 returne water to the tank. Due to gravity and other factors you will have to install ball valves on both pipes as one will always pump more water than the other. You will need to constantly adjust this as the pumps and pipes goes dirty. Most likely the pump draining water from the aquarium will pump more water than the return and this will cause your sump to overflow. Way better, and safer, to have the tank drilled or to use an overflow for the water to get to the sump.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

4. OP
    Dwarf

Dwarf

I thought as much. Possibly mounting the sump above the aquarium and allowing gravity to return the water from the sump may be better?

5. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

That way you might just drain the sump and the tank will overflow if you have a power outage. All depends on the design of the system.

My sump works for me where the tank is drilled on the back pannel for both inlet and outlet. Outlet is 50mm, so normal plumbing pipes works perfect. This works the same as the overflow drain on a bathtub. If the water level rises above this it will start flowing down the pipe to the sump. My return pump has a 22mm outlet. To get my water levels rightI filled the tank to just overflow. Stoped and waited until the water stopped draining. I then filled the sump to about 5cm from the top. This will be your water levels if there is a power cut. Test run the system to make sure the water levels were right between the baffels of the sump and adjusted the water levels as needed. This method gives me peace of minde that I shouldn't flood anything in the case of a power outage.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

6. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

Howzit Dwarf
    You can use an overflow box if you don't want to drill the tank.
    I made this, it works great:
    IMG_20180708_154716.jpg

7. OP
    Dwarf

Dwarf

Awesome Adrian - thanks

8. OP
    Dwarf

Dwarf

Would it be possible to us through process? It would be much appreciated.

9. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

I didn't take pics when making it. Basically the silicon tubing maintains a siphon over the edge of the tank. The PVC pipes make sure the siphon is never broken, even if the power goes off and the return pump stops. I'm running over 1000l per hr though it.
    This guy explains:

10. OP
    Dwarf

Dwarf

Thanks Adrian

Recent Posts