elephant nose care

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by stephen, Jan 27, 2013.

1. stephen

stephen

Hi
    I looking at getting elephant nose fish,not sure on how many to buy.Read on some sites that you must keep them in groups ,others say you must only get one because they have the tendency to kill each other and you only end up with the strongest one.My tank is 1,2m x 45cm with 2 angels and a butterfly fish.some general experiences with these fish
    thanks

2. Guest

3. Aqii

Aqii

Hi Stephen, welcome to TASA. I have been very successful keeping these fish in bare-bottom (quarantine/holding) tanks but have always struggled when moved on too substrate tanks. I once had a group of 15 in four foot tank for 5 months with no problems. In a bare-bottom tank a group of them will squabble but they definately wont kill each other. Although i have always used local blood-worm and earthworms quite successfully you may want to speak to Prof Bellstedt about the blood worm he imports for his Discus.. Be careful with breeding angels...I've had Hemichromis tear the trunk off Elephant nose and I suspect a breeding angel might be able to do the same>>

4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Elephant Noses need a bit of extra care to do well.
    A soft substrate is essential. And a dimly lit tank, with calm, non-boisterous tank mates.

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Hi there

Keeping them in a group cannot be recommended unless you have a large tank to accommodate a very large group. A large group diffuses their aggressiveness toward each other, but a large tank allows any individuals being picked on to move away and allows the group to spread out a little.

A single specimen will survive just fine in a tank without boisterous fish and plenty of shelter - or otherwise a dimly lit tank. They will likely be a little shy at first, but once they know when feeding time is they show their faces a little more.

You might struggle to get them to eat dry foods. I have never seen one eating any form of pellet or flake, so it might be best to stock up on frozen and live foods. Ask the place where you're getting it from what it is currently eating and work from there.

Regards,

6. Aqii

Aqii

Same expierience, you have to feed them frozen/or live food. Will not eat pellets or flakes. I use to buy Ocean Nutrition Tropical Quintet for mine. Unfortunately mine never ate the krill portion though...I'm sure you have regular live food with those FW butterflyfish though?

7. OP
    stephen

stephen

tanks for the advise ,yes i just feed the butterfly fish moths

8. disco

disco

My elly nose just loves tetra bits so does my ghost knife. Guess they must be tank bred and conditioned to eating dried food.

Recent Posts