Electrical Consumption

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Th3Fishman, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Th3Fishman

Th3Fishman

Hi there. Does anyone know of a piece of PC software that can calculate the electrical consumption of my tanks in Rands? Most online ones are in Dollars. And by the way, I am being lazy yes, really dont have the time right now to calculate every piece of equip seperately. Rough figures are okay with me.

Thanks

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

If you know what wattage your electrics (filter, heater lights etc) are using, you can work it out.

I prefer not to know :tongue:

4. Tronix69

Tronix69

its pretty easy to work out. watts/1000x720x(price of electricity). i think the current rate is somewhere around R1.56

5. OP
    Th3Fishman

Th3Fishman

Hi guys, thanks for this. I am aware of the wattages, and the formulas, I just wanted to know if there is a piece of software that can automate this. Ive already downloaded a pre programmed excel template that helps with this. Thanks again, any idea how to the heater average?

6. Chris_H

Chris_H Discus for Life

Ouch, using that my electricity bill for my tanks works out to just over R1000 per month. A third of my total electricity bill :O

7. Tronix69

Tronix69

Holy crap. I though my electricity bill was high. Think my tank works out to somewhere around R200.

The heater is difficult as it varies alot according to external temperature. Think my heater has only come on twice in the past month due to the heat wave.

There probably is a way to work it out if you take the average temperature of a month and factor that into temperature lots in water but could get complicated.

8. Chris_H

Chris_H Discus for Life

Yeah, It probably will be a bit less, although it has been cold here in Cape Town. I have got two tanks and fry tank totalling for about 850W in heaters, then a bunch of airstones, three powerheads, one sponge filter and then two T5 Lights. That excludes the shrimp hatchery and light when the fry is small :p So around R1k seems right!

9. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic

I'm with @Reedfish - prefer not to know, Ignorance is bliss:blink1:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Angotull

Angotull

Yup.............what consumption????

11. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Yeah, tell me about it.
    Our power costs in the UK just keep escalating. :mad:
    If I start worrying what my tank costs to run, I may as well pack it in.

12. GregM

GregM

Yeah we moan in SA but if I recall my old 2 bed flat in the UK used to cost me around 80 Pounds a month and I always had to pay in at the end of the year. That being about 8 years ago.. I suppose heating in winter didn't help and then also the fact that the power never "ran out" whenever the utility didn't fancy doing maintenance..

I think mine will run at around R200-R300 a month.....

13. OP
    Th3Fishman

Th3Fishman

I'm also pretty surprised how quickly electricity costs go up. I added a new Dwarf Puffer tank to the home (no puffers yet, still cycling). Its only 29litres, but it adds up, especially the heating. To top this off I have a small tank with Bolivian Ram Fry, and also set up a 60l grow out tank for them. All this caused me to do some calculations. My main 250l community plus the three others will cost me roughly R300 to run per month. Its those heaters! Speaking of which, I need to start a new thread in regards to power outtages. One spends alot on this hobby and the last thing you want is to lose most of it due to a lengthly power outtage (loadshedding), such as we have been experiencing here in SA a month or so back. Starting new thread. Thanks for all the input guys. Just google "Power Consumption Excel Sheets" if you need any to automate the power consumption calculations of your system.

14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I was going to build myself a fish room a few years ago.
    After I had done a rough calculation of the running costs, I decided that I couldn't really justify it.

15. Chris_H

Chris_H Discus for Life

Soooooo... I just got this months rates and electricity bill... R7k in total, apparently they estimated wrong by over 1000 units a month, for four months and now I have to poo out an additional R4k :p

16. OP
    Th3Fishman

Th3Fishman

Oooouchhh. That is major inconvenience.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  17. Tronix69

Tronix69

That is madness. Send the kids to go work in the mines to pay off their "computer electricity bill". They don't need to know how much your tanks are costing

Recent Posts