Dwarf Pufferfish finally settled

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by SalmonAfrica, Feb 13, 2019.

1. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I don't usually share a lot of what I do here on TASA, mainly because you guys have so many cool things going on it's just easier and more fun to watch, rather than post the same stuff I'm seeing every day. Truthfully I haven't had a whole lot going on since moving to Joburg.

But my dwarf puffers are finally settling in nicely, setting up territories, and recognizing dinner time. Even if they're very picky about their food :rolleyes:. Middle fish posted here is a little skinny (came from a different batch), but fortunately is watching the others and finally picking on the food I'm feeding everyone else. I'm settling in to this whole nano fish idea, so I'm sure you'll be seeing more tiny fish from my side soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

top dog, Cesar, MariaS and 2 others like this.
  2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@SalmonAfrica

Very nice.
    Perhaps chuck in some tiny snails.
    Might tempt the difficult eater, and will also help with keeping their teeth worn down.

4. Ren

Ren

Always been a fan of these since I first saw a puffer at an lfs in Empangeni (30 or so odd years ago....jeesh...showing my age)
    Since then have seen some at local lfs in West Rand but due to them not being overly sociable to other species I've only looked (some day might try species tank)
    Please tell us more about your setup and plans

5. OP
    SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Thanks. Yup, a whole load of snails is thrown in twice a week. Live mosquito larvae as often as I can get my hands on them. Both of these are eaten by all parties, but due to supply issues I am slowly trying to wean onto frozen foods.

Interesting thing about dwarf puffers is that they don't always "crunch" the snail, as larger puffers do. I had read this previously, with many saying that beak overgrowth is not a major issue in this species (as well as the other minis in the genus). Small snails I have seen them sometimes take whole, but not always. Instead, they hang around the snail until it pops out, and proceed to decapitate it!

I have kept three other species of puffer, and never have I seen them do anything like this. Once they've had their bite, they move on to the next one...

I do agree that these are best kept in a species tank. If the tankmate is too slow, they will nip them (as seen in the shops I got them from). If the tankmate is too fast, they'll be outcompeted for food.

For the time being, it's just the 6 of them sharing a 60 litre tank. This is pretty much on the head for how much space you'll need, at about 10 litres per fish. Filtration kept gentle since they don't do well in a current. And the environment is kept complex, so that they can establish territories and get out of each others' way when need be. If they look at each other for too long, they start circling each other :rolleyes: Nothing malicious ever happens, but I can imagine in more cramped or less private conditions, things could turn sour.

As for plans... I don't think I'd describe myself as a man with plans. Just enjoying the show.

Regards,

Reedfish likes this.
  6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

They absolutely gorgeous @SalmonAfrica,

Nice to see you sharing... these little guys are just as cool as the coolest fish around and Im glad they are settling in nicely.
    Its also awesome to have you share something that I dont think many members have ventured into keeping (or they not sharing) which is nice for those that might consider getting some

Its a species that has always fascinated me
    I always say they have "puppy" faces when they look at you and although I have never kept any, they come across as having a lot of character

If they were not best kept as a species only tank, I would probably have gotten some already.

7. Cesar

Cesar

Good to see them doing well @SalmonAfrica

They are amazing fish and there are also some magnificent ones in the bigger species which are very tempting to keep if they could be kept with my fish.
    In fact, it was the first fish my wife fell in love with at the LFS when she first started being dragged around the LFS's Sunday tour... that and Scats!!
    Oh.. and baby Red Tail catfish of all fish!!!!

My luck, she had to fall in love with all the fish I couldnt keep.... and those I would never keep...
    Fortunately the rays, like they do to almost everyone, quickly took her heart and as she got more involved was horrified by the huge Red Tail catfish at the Zoo so that saved my day!

But I must say, the puffers are very special and I do like them very much

8. OP
    SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I'm sure there is a puffer species for you out there. While several species I could only recommend keeping alone, many others do just fine with tankmates, coming down to species temperament and individual fish personality. My first two species of puffer - green spotted puffer, then later the evil-eyed puffer - both got along perfectly fine with tankmates... bearing in mind of course this was all done in a calculated manner. And the more you dig across the web, the more you'll see that some species (even your giants!) can mix with certain other species. As with everything else in this hobby, research research reseach, and get to know your fish.

If she's still on the puffer trail, remember that this particular species doesn't take up too much space - especially compared to the tanks you're currently running! I'm sure you could find a corner to squeeze them in :lol: (maybe not so much after the installation of this most recent monster...)

Thanks for the compliments you two!

Cesar and MariaS like this.
  9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

It is my dream to have a Fahaka or Mbu one day. They must make a fantastic "wet pet".
    Not quite ready for one yet. :(

Cesar and MariaS like this.
  10. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Cute!!! We need a FTS!

11. top dog

top dog

these are def the cutest little guys, believe biggest issues with them is getting them onto froozen foods. since you got the hard part done how long till you have fry? :tt2:
    very glad my wife not on here she adores them and always seems to want a some. she also believe a mbu puffer is in our future

Reedfish likes this.
  12. OP
    SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I think you're ready, you'll just need to clear out some fossils to make space :thumbup:

I'll attempt one tonight after water changes!

Hey, if they spawn, they spawn. But they're not old enough to determine sexes yet, so I can't say if I have a good ratio or not. I still need to put some moss in as a substrate.

Cesar and Hendre like this.
  13. Cesar

Cesar

Must agree with @Reedfish.. Fahaka or MBU would be my temptation... that's me.. bigger fish..
    TheY are beautiful

I would be reluctant though to put them in with my fish
    Yes... there are records of them being ok with other fish providing they are brought up with other fish from small but there are also many, many records of them tearing tank mates apart... Im not sure I would risk it

I think that if I took the plunge, it would be in a species tank or settle for some dwarfs in a small tank

Reedfish likes this.
  14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

That's not going to happen!

Problem is the tank that the Puffer would need to go in currently has my Rays and other fish.

15. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

That's my thinking too.
    Would never risk them with my Rays

16. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

@SalmonAfrica they are awesome little fish. You can feed them crushed snails which they eat much rather than ones that are still running around. Live daphnia is also eaten with gusto. Try feeding live bloodworms and then later on you can try frozen ones. Males develop a stripe along their bellies. They are also more yellow and their pattern less clear. The more the merrier, will spread the agression.

MariaS likes this.
  17. Neels913

Neels913

These guys are adorable. A local LFS sells these for around R80 a fish. Not sure how expensive or inexpensive that is as they're the only shop stocking them. Definitely on the list for me though! Do you keep them in brackish water?

18. Little Nicky

Little Nicky

@Neels913 R80 is a bit expensive, have seen them for R35 last year. But it might be seasonality and or availability. They are completely freshwater.

19. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

There a brackish species, but DP are a fresh water species

Cesar likes this.

Recent Posts