DIY Hood

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by PeeKay, Dec 7, 2009.

1. PeeKay

PeeKay

Hey All!! So we finally got round to building the hood and the doors. It was alot of work! More so than the stand! But it's done (many, many beers, blood, sweat and tears!!) and I'm very happy with the progress so far, there is not a single square edge, every outside square edge was routered. Still need to stain, polish, mount lights and drill holes for hoses and cable's. It's made from 20mm pine and is surpisingly light. There is bracing for the hood to rest on the top of tank all the way round with gaps for the tanks bracing, so the load will be spread nice and evenly. We sealed the inside with resin and glued heavy duty tin foil on the inside of the top of the hood. Really looking forward to getting it on the tank, but there is still much to be done....

Will post some more pics once I've made more progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DSC02323.jpg

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02295.jpg

DSC02311.jpg

2. Guest

3. ACE007

ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

NICE... Very NICE

4. Donny

Donny

Yep agree with ace very nice work done ,,, even the supervisor was there i see :) ,,,, i was told not to use foil but the thermal silver blankets as it reflects light better.

5. johan008

johan008

Yep must agree to the blood sweat and tears also build a whole cabinet with a hood was no joke but when all is finished it worth all the effort

6. Donny

Donny

And when your friends stand and admire it you can feel proud of your self for building it.

7. OP
    PeeKay

PeeKay

Thanks guys for the thumb's up!! Yep, the soop's were always watching! I don't know if it was for quality control or to monitor our alcohol consumption!! Interesting point there Donny, thanks, I'll check the effectivness of the foil, fortunately the foils is something that can be changed very easily if need be. Johan, you are so right! It is no joke, it's hard graaf! And what really messed us up was the weather on Saturday was nice to work in, no heat! And we worked up until 02:00 Sat night / Sun morn. Woke up on Sunday and it was like waking up in the desert, hot, very hot and humid! And then we sweated, oh boy did we sweat! But seeing the 85% finished product does make it all worth while, really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Donny, how thick is a thermal blanket? I still have to mount lights... On that topic what would be recommended? I was thinking 3 T5s, two white and one blue?I don't have a planted tank, malawi's and rocks, but I am looking for that "crisp" light that the blue gives. Am I on the right track here?

8. Gareth

Gareth Angel Freak

really looks great can't wait to see the finished product

9. speedz

speedz In need of a fishroom....

nice choice of wood, gives of a good effect

10. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

I love it Peekay

11. Donny

Donny

LOL quality control vs alcohol consumption, sometimes if the one goes up the other goes down. The thermal blanket thickness i have no idea sorry, but it must be as thin as foil if not thinner.
    The lighting i have done my self yet but sounds like you on the right path for the color you looking for

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  12. slayer

slayer

Very good job. Looks really nice. That setup is gonna look great. Keep us posted

13. OP
    PeeKay

PeeKay

Thanks every one, I promise I'll keep posting as I go along... Was too buggered to even open the garage last night. I will be staining tonight and probably tomorrow night aswell, I want to polish on Friday night and then mount on saturday once we have drilled holes etc... I'm busy now trying to find ballasts, should have them by saturday.

14. OP
    PeeKay

PeeKay

I'm very peeved:mad::mad::mad: Got home last night just after 17:45, was just relaxing for a bit before I was planning to start with the staining of the hood and doors and at about 18:15 the electricity goes out, my side of the Bluff in darkness!! Just before 20:00 it came on for about a second then dead, same thing just before 21:00, only at about 22:30 did it come back on. So I lost the whole evening, was really hoping to have at least 3 or 4 coats of stain on by now.... Oh well, suppose it wasn't supposed to happen last night, hopefully tonight all goes well...

15. slayer

slayer

lucky 4 you, you did not start yet.
    imagine being half way through a coat and lights out

16. Franna

Franna

How did it look when it was done?

Recent Posts