DIY green feed for fish

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by f-fish, Jul 26, 2017.

1. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I am considering give Moringa a go as fish food ...

Spirulina tablets works well.
    Green Power - the powder is a bit fine.
    Never done Moringa but must be worth a try.

Actually thinking of doing a press of some sorts ...

What else are you feeding your fish as green feed?

Later Ferdie

2. Guest

3. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

I heard Moringa is very bitter to the taste so maybe blend it with something more tastier...

4. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

spinach, peas,cucumber and babymarrow

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Peas as a general greens have worked well for most fish I've had, particularly when mushed.

Cucumber is demolished by sucker-type fishes, but a few others pick at it. I can't imagine it's very nutritious, though, being mostly water.

Spirulina tabs have been good for most bottom dwellers and shrimp.

Nori I have not used, but have done lots of reading on. It's apparently packed with nutritional goodies, is pretty cheap, and can be fiddled with to suit the needs of fish from various levels of the tank, or processed into a DIY food. It's next on my shopping list, for my swordtails (who need greens in their diet).

Regards,

6. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Algae chips for my shrimp, goldfish and synodontis (polys eat more of it lol)

7. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Despite the water content,Cucumber is a very good source of Vitamin A, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Manganese, as well as Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Potassium
    My clown loaches clean out a quarter of a cucumber and leave just the skin in about an hour. They love it and so does my flagtail

8. OP
    f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

I must try the Cucumber. Nori - something about salt content - or rather check that no extra was added.
    Yeah the Morninga is bitter - well the initial hit is like wheatgrass - sweat, then a bitter slightly like aloe that moves to a sour note- Having added some it is even finer than the green power grass mix.

I do freeze my babymarrow - then just take some out ... defrost it with some boiling water and it seem to sink and all feast.

Now for shrimps I have head the guys do good leaf mixes - not always sure the fish will go for them.

Later Ferdie

9. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

I wonder what I can feed my cories in the mean time until I get the Hikari sinking wafers.

Anyone with some experience in green feeding corydoras?

10. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Some cories aren't as veggie based afaik

MariaS likes this.
  11. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Yeah, right. Doubt you have done enough research on keeping corydoras. @Pierré Schoonraad just informed me that one can put dried organic leaves and they will feed on that as it breaks down. I'm pretty sure @DoubleDutch will pitch in and give some accurate information / advice on green feeding.

Here is some information

Pierré Schoonraad likes this.
  12. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

Corys are almost as much veggie based as lions.

They will definitely eat some veggies, but will hardly get any nutrition from it.
    Coryguru Ian Fuller eveb states that they only do that and nibble on algaewafers to get to the "real" food.

I mix my meaty granules with some spirulina granules and put in some vegs for the BN's that they eat, but feed Cories 99,9% meaty food. 990c60c5f6e7fe7042b76fa3c5505066.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Hendre, Rainstorm and MariaS like this.
  13. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

And that is why getting feedback from experienced cory keepers is crucial - I would only take advice from them when it comes to keeping and growing them out with the right food. I'm really struggling to get the hikari sinking wafers for tropical fish so not sure if I should make my own wafers, there's not much info on the net for that. All I have is egg yolk and frozen bbs - the fry really need something more substantial to support their growing frame.

14. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Clare all I knew is that they are more scavengers and foragers in nature, not herbivores. Thanks for the info @DoubleDutch :)

MariaS likes this.
  15. Pezulu

Pezulu

Wow.
    You certainly sound condescending.
    I believe Hendre said the exact same thing, and probably did just as much research on them as you did.

As serious fishkeepers and aquarists I am pretty certain most members do lots of research regarding the livestock they keep.
    I know I can spout useless facts about most of the fish and plants I have been keeping over the last 30 years or so.

By your own admission you have been keeping fish for about 20 days or so, and even though you may have done lots of research, nothing beats hands-on experience.
    I currently have, or have had the following Corydora Catfish: Sterbai, Panda, Peppered, Bronze, Black, Pygmy and various Albino.
    There is no way I would consider myself an expert though, even though I have successfully bred Panda, Sterbai, Peppered and Bronze cory.

Perhaps a bit of an attitude adjustment would make life easier all around.

16. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

I have never kept cories. Just referring to memory from research I have done, I've read a lot more than I've kept, which is why I said "as far as I remember"

I just remembered cories are more general feeders than other SA cats than say plecos, ancistrus and hypancistrus. There are even exceptions in those groups

And from seriously fish:
    Gut analyses of wild specimens have shown it to be an opportunistic omnivore, consuming a range of worms, crustaceans, plant matter and other zoobenthos. It’s similarly adaptable in the aquarium, accepting virtually anything offered. Feed a varied diet consisting of a good quality dried sinking food supplemented with regular meals of small live and frozen foods

17. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

You were absolutely correct @Hendre.. corries are omnivores thus not vegetarians although they could nibble at veggies
    When I had corries I found they never really ate the vegies I put down for the loaches, they would eat the cichlid sinking pellets or the wafers for the bottom feeders
    They are pretty much "scavengers" and will eat anything they find, even pieces of fish laying at the bottom when you feed the other fish
    There is quite a lot of info on the net regarding their care and nutrition

DoubleDutch likes this.
  18. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Well if you had been a bit more helpful when I ask a question. You haven't been really that helpful. And I won't lie, this is the first time I've kept fish. How about a little real input in answering my questions instead of picking on me and treating me like I don't know anything about fish keeping. I have spend the last 5 years (more or less, I have lost count) keeping planted aquariums - one of the reasons why I have not kept fish until now was because I wanted to make sure I was able to care for them and feed them properly as well as treating them if they get sick. also in the last 3 years with the power issues, this was my biggest concern.

@MariaS: that's why I rely on others' experiences more because I have found that most articles are misleading - I even asked Pierre about the neon blue freshwater goby and he said from his experience, they don't really eat algae when the article says algae makes up a large portion of their diet. Even DoubleDutch said that veggies are not that nutritious so now what do I do? Continue to feed them on egg yolk and frozen bbs? I don't think this is a balanced feed - struggling to find Hikari in my neck of the woods.

@Hendre: I never implied that they were herbivores. I do know that they are omnivores but having a bit of greenery in their diet won't kill them.

Seeing that my comments are never received well - I think I"ll stop coming here as some people are not really helpful when I ask questions about certain things. I'll stick to the whatsapp group and stay there.

Hendre likes this.
  19. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Didn't read correctly I apologise.

What other foods are available? Hikari isnt the worlds best food brand, it's a rather subjective view as to what's great.

I actually think veggie disks are good for cory cats. Main ingredient still being fish meal and protein around 35%~ it can be a good addition to the diet. There is no hard and fast, I don't have a heart attack when I see my predators eating algae wafers (and even peas)

20. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

As long as the staplefood is meaty.
    There are different types of protein btw.
    Some can't be digested correctly by certan fish. Beefheart-issues with Corys for instance.

Had to share this one though it isn't about Corys

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

21. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Can't watch the video right now. But I feed high protein staple for my polys, and the fish meal protein is generally digestible proteins for most fish as far as I know. Good info thanks! :)

Recent Posts