DIY fry holder/egg tumbler

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Ebrahim, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Ebrahim

Ebrahim

Hello everybody......

I'm sharing the diy egg tumbler and fry holder (all in one) I use to raise my fry in until about 2cm depending on the amount of fry.

I took a bucket preferably a clear one. Make holes in it and place a air stone connected to a air pump. The strength of the air pump depends on the size of the bucket. Try to use one with a adjustable air flow knob to control the strength of the air.
    The objective is for the eggs to move enough not to become bad from laying on one place.
    I've been using the traditional diy egg tumbler to the expensive ones and I find in the last year that I'm using the current one that there's no need to fork out major bucks for a tumbler.

What I'm going to add to mine is holes at the bottom to allow oxygen to enter the bucket from all sides for the periods of load shedding.

I hope this simple all in one egg tumbler is of good use for those who wants to tumble fry.

Imo don't tumble if no need to. Let the female do the work, it's Less effort.

IMG_20190412_164211.jpg
    Sorry video is to large to upload. But I'm available on Whatsapp for those who wants help ..... Pm me your number

ancistrus likes this.
  2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looks good @Ebrahim

Thanks for sharing

Ebrahim likes this.
  4. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Thanks for sharing. I was just wondering what fry/eggs you have in there usually. Reason I ask this is because of the holes. I have tried corry eggs in a net breeder but the fry simply fell through the net. Rainbow fry is about 4mm long and as thin as a thead after they hatch.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

5. OP
    Ebrahim

Ebrahim

I keep tanganyikan cichlids for many years now. Keeping frontosa is my passion and most favorite fish especially the blue variants. The Zaire frontosa are in most cases the most difficult to be successful with in terms of breeding hence the tumbling. But in the US they tumble most of the time where possible even if they don't have to like in the case with Malawi cichlids. I have never tumbled Malawi cichlid eggs when I kept them.

I have some tropheus and Gobi eggs in there at the moment.

This method will work even if there is no holes. The down side is when it is load shedding and the air gets used up depending on the size of the container you use. You could go as small as a 250ml glass

6. OP
    Ebrahim

Ebrahim

It's a pleasure guys.

MariaS likes this.
  7. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

I was just wondering about the fry escaping through the holes. Getting fresh water circulation the whole time is actually very good. Else it's wc every day.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

8. OP
    Ebrahim

Ebrahim

The size of the holes you can make accordingly.

Recent Posts