DIY Fish Tank Build

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Aryann94, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Aryann94

Aryann94

Good day everyone. My question(s) today, relate to all those that have built their own fish tanks at home.

I currently have a 4ft tank, that was built for me using 6mm Glass & with the measurements 1200 x 450 x 450.

According to me, I know that the measurements for the glass is meant to be as follows:

Bottom - 1200 x 450
    Back - 1200 x 450
    Front - 1200 x 450
    Left Side - 450 x 438
    Right Side - 450 x 438

I've had this tank just over a year now & recently started to notice White/Cloudy patches develop within the seams of silicone where the two panels of glass meet.

This got me really worried as according to what I've seen on YouTube, they say this is a tell tale sign of the silicone pulling apart and/or water seeping in behind the seam of silicone.

I decided to measure the Glass today & to my shock, the side panels measure 450 x 435, which is 3mm smaller than the 438 that it's supposed to measure.

1. Is this the reason for the white/murky patches that developed within the seams?

2. Can this be rectified by stripping the entire tank & redoing the entire silicone process?

3. What other way forward can I adopt to prevent the development of these ugly white/murky patches from developing within the seams in future?

Thank You for your advice in advanced:(

2. Guest

3. Whoknows

Whoknows

The glass is right like that. 435. It has to be smaller by 1-2 millimetres each side to allow the silicone to go into the seems if its 438 there won't be enough gap to create a proper seem which may lead to leaks.

2) where is the silicone going white? Is it between the glass or on the inner connor seems? If ifs just the inside seem you'll only have to do a full reseal. Not easy if there's fish in though.

3) use a high quality silicone like den braven. It's more expensive but its stronger and hopefully won't cause discoloration

Aryann94 likes this.
  4. Blade

Blade

Just check the 1200mm as a STD 4ft is actually 1220mm

Aryann94 and Whoknows like this.
  5. OP
    Aryann94

Aryann94

Hi. The silicone is going white in between the two pieces of glass, where they meet together to form the corner.

I do intend on using Den Braven as I heard it is the best.

Whoknows likes this.
  6. OP
    Aryann94

Aryann94

Hi. Yes my tank has been built a little smaller than the normal 1220mm of a 4ft.

7. Whoknows

Whoknows

Then I think its best to take it all apart and re do it. Probably take about 1 and half weeks to do so if you have fish in that will be a problem.

Aryann94 likes this.
  8. OP
    Aryann94

Aryann94

Luckily my tank is empty now. I've painted it but that's fine. Paint can be re-done, but I'll have peace of mind knowing that my tank is never going to split

Whoknows likes this.
  9. Whoknows

Whoknows

Very true. Good luck with the repair

Aryann94 likes this.

Recent Posts