Discus

Discussion in 'General Discus discussions' started by pHish_man, Jun 12, 2012.

1. pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

Hi guys

There seems to be a surge at the moment in the interest of discus. People are having their fish spawn @Marco, @jpvd007 and I know @farmer. So thought I would share a few pics of my own discus that im in the process of growing out.

For those with a critical eye @Dirk Bellstedt, @aquazulu, @Marco etc please crit these fish as they are part of a group of youngsters that Im growing out for the intention of perhaps getting a pair eventually. Be ruthless as I dont wish to one day breed with something that has a flaw that I havent noticed.

The low down is this is my first real attempt at growing discus out, so I am still a total newbie. It was my opinion that I needed to keep these fish parallel to a vast amount of reading and discussion, to see first hand the result of the basics.

My experience having kept these fish for only 3 months so far is the following:

a) bare-bottom tank is the ONLY way i will ever attempt growing out discus. Period. No discussion.
    b) Prof Dirk's food is the only food my discus get and I think their health and growth rate shows why ( i try and manage 9times a day - thank you Petro )
    c) I try and maintain a stable/constant pH ( 6.5 ) and a temp between 29-30C
    d) Offer the fish huge amount of water volume as they eat a lot and therefore always mess a lot
    e) it helps to have someone nearby who knows discus and for that, once again thank you to Dirk and Marius ( @farmer ) who have been extremely supportive.

The fish pictured were all bought as 4.5-5cm juveniles on 7 March 2012 so ive had them just over 3 months now. Still quite some time before i'll get any possible pairing, but they are now starting to develope some adolescent colouration, so thought i'd share some pics. They are a group of 12 that are in a 325litre cube tank and will shortly be moving to their new 700litre tank ( volume without sump ).

1.JPG4.jpg2.jpg3.jpg7.jpg

I will update this post as the fish mature and because one is limited to 5 images per post, I will load photos of the rest of the group shortly.

Regards

Andrew

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest

3. jabula 7749

jabula 7749 jabula

Andrew,you have some amazing fish there!amazing shape and they look very healthy!!where did you get them from if I may ask?

4. Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi @pHish_man

They are looking good bud. Eye size compared to body seems good, starting to colour up nicely.
    Pic one, the strange looking Snakeskin with the red in his fins is my favourite. I like Discus which seem "clean and organised" instead of some of the strains that just appear a mess. Love the colour on this guy. (but ive told you that already hey. . .)

Only one I am not fond of is the other Snakeskin,(pic 4) and I base that on the shape he has. He seems to fall a bit back in his forehead region. But hey, its just personal preference, someone else will tell you he is their favourite for a different reason. They are still very small so hang in there with them

Rgds

Marco

5. jpvd007

jpvd007 Retired Moderator

Hi Andrew

I will have to go with Marco on pic one and also for me pic 5 is the one I like the most shape wise, 3's colours are going to be great when it gets older. But like Marco said its still early days, the 7 that I have had spread over the last 2years now all don't look anything like what they use to when they were 6 to 7cm bar one that is still 5cm at 1year old poor guy but he still holds his own in the planted tank.

well thats my 2 cents

Regards

Jason

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Very nice.
    I especially like No 2 & 3.

7. spider

spider Guest

Hi Andrew

Dont know much about discus and to me they all stunning. The 1st pic looks so much like the red strain Prof Dirk breeds.

Yagya

8. OP
    pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

ok, some quick feedback between water changes.

@jabula 7749 thanks for the compliments. These fish are all from Malaysia. Unfortunately I cannot name the local supplier as they are not a sponsor here on tasa.

@Marco yes the red snakeskin is also my favourite. Would love to know what its parents look like. The fish you refer to re the forehead issue....would that be the spotted one? What and where should I look on the fish?

@jpvd007 yes its exciting now that the adult colours are slowly coming through. Cannot wait for the fish in pic 1 to gt to adult size.

@Reedfish the discus in pic 2 and 3 is the same fish ( leopard ) just taken from a differnet angle. He is 1 of a group of 5 leopards where 2 have grown very quickly and 3 at a far slower rate. I will post individual pics of the rest of the group later when time permits.

@yagya now you can see why I get so excited about these fish. Thanks once again for the SUPERBLY built tanks. Once i get some pics together I will start a separate thread on my home fishroom using your tanks. For anyone here on TASA who needs custom tanks built, Yagya ( aka spider ) is your man. Mods.....hope im allowed to advertize that here

regards

andrew

9. Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi @pHish_man

Most ppl are gonna say im being too critical. But thats what you asked. I highlighted this area.
    It looks as if it has an underbite, and the forehead is not developing prominantly enough. Even the eye isnt nice and round but has a slight egg shape to it, falling away to its tail.

These are all minor things but when i look at the fish something doesnt seem right, and then I started looking at why.

U see it?

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

10. OP
    pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

@Marco

thats exactly what im looking for. because my interest in discus is ultimately breeding, the more critical one can be the better. You know that this is a learning curve for me so crit away, i certainly dont take things personally.

Thanks for cropping the pic, that helped me tons to see what you talking about. I see it now. I will also try get a photo completely side on of this fish just to double check the problem zones. Spotted.jpg

Same fish different angle and fish was 1 month younger in this pic

Spotted.jpg

11. Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi

In this pic he seems perfectly ok. Maybe its the angle at which the first pic was taken that caused the funny forehead shape. It could also be a growth thing, meaning he has grown into it, and could very well then grow out of it. Sorta like a long legged bony thirteen year old.

Give him time

12. OP
    pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

Trying to take some more photos but the group has gone all camera shy all of a sudden so laying off the lens for a while. Dont want to stress them.

Will try get a decent profile shot of this guy ( the spotted one ).

Whats your opinion of this fish's breast though?

13. salim

salim Passionate about Discus

very nice fish

14. OP
    pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

@salim thanks man. Are you offering your discus on gumtree?

15. salim

salim Passionate about Discus

Hi yes I am I'm I need of a big tank ,I have 1.2 tanks I need something bigger .

16. OP
    pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

I know someone who wants to get rid of a 1.5m with a 1.2m sump if you interested drop me a pm

17. OP
    pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

Ok, some shots of them attacking @Dirkbellstedt's SV2000 and their full bellies after feeding ( tks Petro )

pls excuse the scratched tanks and silicone joints

Bully.jpgfeeding.jpgfeeding3.jpgfull.jpgGroup.jpg

the guy in pic 1 is definately the dominant fish in the group.

Bully.jpg

feeding.jpg

feeding3.jpg

full.jpg

Group.jpg

18. OP
    pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

quick update

today i moved the smallest snakeskin from this batch in with a tank of 15 smaller discus ( browns, cobalts and virgin reds - pics to follow ) to make sure theren are no disease risks between batches as they came in 6 weeks apart. Then if all goes well over the next week, i will do a size selection and integrate the two groups and move the biggest fish to a 2m ( 1000litre volume ) rig that im preparing.

Exciting times

19. jpvd007

@pHish_man

Now I know who's thread this is and after your carpet cleaning comment on the cracked tank hahahaha, I want to come and take a look at those beauties the week after next. I'll call you closer to the time.

Regards

Jason

20. jpvd007

Are you talking about the 1000L in your reception area? They are going to look so good in that tank you finally came to your senses I see, that Tank was made for discus.:nuts:

21. OP
    pHish_man

pHish_man Discus

indeed I am Jason. Had a visit from the Prof recently and within 4 days of that all my big fish in that tank were sold. Now just tweaking the filtration to handle the discus @spider is constructing a trickle filter chamber and in the meantime ive replumbed the tank and adapted the overflow chamber as a make shift trickle filter. All plumbing has been smooth for the week so ive just popped in a 300w jager and hopefully the temp will be cranked by Monday to move the first of the fish across.

Recent Posts