Discus breeding in nature....

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by Aqua, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Aqua

Aqua Discus

mydummyname likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Gert Combrink

Gert Combrink

Very interesting and informative.
    This makes one understand the biotope and environment where they live, better.

4. Shakes

Shakes

Very nice.

5. jabula 7749

jabula 7749 jabula

Baie mooi!
    lyk amper asof die een van die paar snakeskin in hom het!
    as ek nie verkeerd is nie??

6. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

No Jabula,

You are very wrong on the snakeskin story. Look at the bars of that fish, he has nine bars and absolutely no signs of snakeskin, so just forget about this idea. Snakeskins would be the complete exception to the rule in nature, so these fishes are not snakeskins, they are pure blue discus.

Kind regards,

Dirk

7. doug

doug

what i want to know is. here goes , why does every one say that discuc come from parts of the river with no plants? and to have them in a planted tank is unnatural? when the discus in this clip has spawned on a leaf. i know that having them in a planted tank is more work and having put that aside, in the clip there is quite a lot of focus on the fact that there is a large amount of groth. just my 2c worth

8. hein24

hein24 Betta

@doug... This is your choice, plants don't always do that well when keeping discus, as they need to have high temps also if you do go highly planted you still need to have a well balanced tank and not just chuck in all kinds of plant fertilizers ect. I know of a few people who manage to keep discus in a planted tank.

Once again I will state it's your choice, I know @Marco only keeps discus in bare bottom tanks, maintenance is easier and the main focus is the fish and it shows.

Thats just my take on things, someone more intellectual could maybe detail and be more specific.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
    boebie likes this.
  9. Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi guys,

Awesome videoto watch, would have liked to see more, and I would've been in ecstacy had those been a pair of Heckels.

@doug,

What should be kept in mind is that as the narrator stated, spawning occurs during the flood season when the river and tribituaries lose their individual existance and just become one giant flood plain. The water rises by many meters and so the fish actually now swim on otherwise "dry land" where vegetation,trees etc grow thick. Its thus not a true aqua-scape type environment. Discus are shaped as such to enable them to easily move among these upright vegetation, and have the stress bars partly because it aids in camouflage. Their shape, which would in fast flowing water areas set them at a disadvantage due to the large area it covers, gives you an indication that the water where they live flows very slowly and is really calm.

It is possible to keep them in tanks with plants, but doing the hi-tec planted thing is extremely difficult! Requires huge amounts of work.
    A fine sandy substrate, lots of wood and a plant here and there is more natural. If one wants to be really natural, you could set up some plants on top of the tank with their leaves hanging in the tank water.
    I keep my wild greens in a tank with sone substrate, lots of wood and pots etc, no plants though as the plants would want more light than the tanned water allows for. Hope this helps clear it up.

Rgds

Marco

mydummyname likes this.
  10. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

@Marco, exceptional bit of information here dude.. thanks for that.

11. hein24

hein24 Betta

@Marco thanks for clarifying and being more explanatory.:dito:

12. doug

doug

i maybe spend a little bit more time than some doing WC ect about 3 hours a week thats with 50% WC.
    i may not have the biggest discus thaey range from about 17cm to about 12cm +-
    not any hitec gear standard light for the juwel
    they are spawning every other week

IMG_0505.jpgIMG_0465.jpgIMG_0470.jpgIMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

13. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

@doug in my opinion you your tank and fish look in very good shape.. do you manage to salvage any fry?

14. doug

doug

they eat them just after free swiming and if parent fish didnt the filter or other tank mates will. im putting gear together to raise some fry but it is still early days. i can only hope that i have sucsess amd manage to let the pairs that i have do what they do. and im sure with the help and guidence form everyone on the TASA forum im might get it right. i never expected more than the pairs to spawn in my tank as it is.

15. Marco

Marco Retired Moderator

Hi @doug

Your tank looks great, but. . .your fish could've been a great deal larger. Please dont see it as me "putting you down". . . I see this very frequently. The most difficult part of Discus keeping in my opinion is to ensure they grow to their full potential. So many factors play a role in this and over a period of approx 18 mths its quite difficult to ensure they always have an optimum environment to achieve this.

@jedigenie got some fish from me December last year, and he has really put all the effort needed into getting his fish to optimum size. Its quite visible when you see them. They are a mere 9 mths old and touching the 20cm mark (tail included)
    In part this is down to huge, huge amounts of feeding, good water conditions and stability.
    I have often gone to help folks with their fish, and often they complain that their fish dont grow. I ask them to feed them whilst I am there, and then they cringe at my insistance that more food per feeding is needed. The "gone in 5 minutes" rule simply does not apply. Feed Juvenile fish lots of food, as many times as you can every single day! People might not believe this but I often feed any juvie fish up to 30 times a day if I am at home. That very often amounts to food every 15 to 20 minutes.
    Now, taking THAT into account, no planted tank will survive that amt of waste, and it would also be impossible to keep such a tank clean.
    However in a barebottom tank its a 5minute procedure when doing a daily water change.

There is however nothing wrong with keeping them in a planted tank. Its all down to what is important to you. I want my fish as big as possible as they are better at breeding when bigger. Bigger spawns means higher survival rate, surface area for fry grazing increases with larger fish etc. If one doesnt mind mid sized fish though, then there is nothing wrong with keeping them in a planted environment.

Rgds

Marco

16. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

as you can see, guys like @Marco and the prof @Dirk Bellstedt (and many many others) are passionate about these fish and will go to all lengths to assist you.

17. doug

doug

ih @Marco this is how i do my feeding and its not every 20 mins. in the mornning i switch my filters of so theres no flow, start with frozen stuff beaf heart ect ect then after that i give them tetra bits granels or flake. after an hour of them feeding off the bottom i switch back on. then my army of corries loches and plecos come and finish up. and then at about 5 its dinner and it all starts again. so i do know im not going to grow monster fish, thats alright for me. my tank is in my front room so its on display. my wife and kids get a kick out of the tank. so yes i do understand what you are saying and yes it is hard work, but i love it
    P.S always make sure everyone got a full tummie

hi @mydummyname thanx for the thumbs up

18. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

just how many other fish do you have in the tank dude? and what size is the tank?

19. doug

doug

six corries, two albino, two peper, two emreled and two bristle noise plecos 10 harlequins six zebbra loaches eight discus. 450l 2400lph filtration

20. mydummyname

mydummyname Balala shark

it doesnt seem to be overstocked or anything like that.. its probably just the lower feeding rate that is keeping them that size, as @Marco said..

to an extent i do something similar with my tinfoils to keep them from growing out of hand too soon.. i'm very very strict with how much and how often i feed.

i have to say, if it was up to me, i'd rather grow the discus to their full potential, you can only enjoy them more and its can only benefit the fish.

my 2c

cheers ;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  21. doug

doug

these fish have still got some growing to do get back to me in say six months.
    cheers doug
    P.S thanx for the input every bit helps

Recent Posts