DesertConverts New 4ft

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by DesertConvert, Apr 6, 2018.

1. DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

It's been a while.

After my previous 4 foot split its seams, and I lost pretty much all my livestock, I didn't really feel like putting any more effort into the hobby.

The old tank stood around in a spare room, waiting for happier days. I had planned to sell it, but there were no takers, so it just stood idle.

I've been maintaining a small 30L tank with a lonely Ancistrus Pleco, just to keep the spark alive.

There was a bit of a hiccup with the remains of the old tank, but the end result is beautiful custom 4 foot from Petstop.

I've filled her up and dumped in all my old driftwood for soaking.

MDF will be used to cover up the steel stand, and to make a canopy.

My previous tanks have all had PFS or plain gravel, but am looking to use a richer substrate in this tank...get some plant growth going.

I'm undecided about the lighting. I have the 2x T5 lights from my previous tank, which will probably be decent with regards to plants, but am also considering LEDs (still need to investigate this more).

Hoping this will turn into another beautiful display tank.

tank_and_stand.jpg filter01.jpg filter.jpg

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Welcome back!

Once you love he hobby... invariably the bug bites again

Tank looks good so far, looking forward to updates
    What are you planning on keeping?

4. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Good to see you back in the game Martin ... much has changed, nothing has changed - other than who owns PetStop I suppose.

You are spoiled for choice these days when it comes to substrates - and if the rumors are true ADA should be back end of April, have that kidney ready for trade.

Later Ferdie

5. OP
    DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

Well this is embarrassing :D 9 months since my last post! And I didn't even reply to you :eek:

I'm dreaming of a Tetra tank. Lot's and lots of Tetras. But who knows, at the rate I'm progressing here, I might look at something else :)

MariaS likes this.
  6. OP
    DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

Tank has been dormant for the past months. Lots of other life stuff happening. But...I've been working on the hood recently, and looking at finishing the woodwork in the next 2 weeks.

I want to attach the panelling using neodymium magnets. Just investigating how many/how large/how strong etc. Not quite as easy as I had thought.

Also, decided I'm going to stop messing with my older lights, and invest in an LED unit (I like the Zetlights).

Then substrate, plants, cycling & fish. So maybe I'll be up and running by this time next year, based on my current rate of progress :D:rolleyes:

MariaS likes this.
  7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hahha well at least you still working on it !!

Unfortunately life is real and sometimes things dont happen as fast as what we would like them to, nothing wrong with that but Im sure you will gt there

f-fish likes this.
  8. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Yeah - life happens so that we can find our inner zen in your tanks once they are up and running - without life the hobby sure would be less of a pleasure.

Keep going @DesertConvert - sounds like you take the slow and steady approach, nothing wrong with that.

Later Ferdie

DesertConvert and MariaS like this.
  9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Hopefully now that you are back in the "zone", you will get your tank completed soon.

DesertConvert likes this.
  10. OP
    DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

Update: 08/02/2019

After some pottering about, the hood is assembled. Still need to sort out the position of the lights inside, and paint the whole thing.Hood.jpg

Getting there
    Hood_on_tank.jpg

Cloudiness after adding PFS & water. Popped in some filter wool to aid in filtering the smaller particulates.
    cloudy_tank.jpg
    All clear now :)
    clear_tank.jpg
    Added filter material
    filter.jpg
    And wood is soaking. I've had this wood for a while, and it's been standing in a bucket under the carport for ages. Round 1 of cleaning involved scrubbing it in a bath of salt water. Round 2 is soaking it in a light solution of JIK water, to kill off any nasties. It's still leaching, even after having been in my previous tank for ages :)
    wood.jpg

Will pop the wood in the tank later, and then do a few water changes in the next week or 2.

By then the hood should be done, and hopefully plants acquired. Will then introduce my Pleco to the tank, and then start filling it with a few schools of Tetras / Danios / I'll see what else catches my eye.

11. Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Looks very nice! Well done. Can't wait to follow the updates

DesertConvert likes this.
  12. OP
    DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

Wood has been soaking in the tank for a few days now. Leaching quite heavily. Will have to do a big water change today / tomorrow.

13. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looking great so far

Nice pieces of wood you have there

14. OP
    DesertConvert

DesertConvert Toad

Thanks. Collected over time :) But that vine root just refuses to sink o_O I think it's just not porous enough to absorb enough water to sink. May need to make another plan!

Recent Posts