Culturing Infusoria

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Ross, May 25, 2020.

1. Ross

Ross

Hi,

I feel stupid asking this as there are dozens of sites and videos on how to do this. But I seem to be struggling to get a culture going. Used water from my planted tank, its been running for 6 months. So "mature" I think. Started 2 cultures, one is a plastic fish bowl with raw potato and one in a coffee jar using boiled broccoli. A week later water is cloudy, and thats about it. I got a usb microscope, used ebucks so no loss there and its pretty awesome looking at a bunch of things :) . Anyway I looked at the cultures with it and I see some life but very little not nearly the amount that is shown on the guides.

I have noticed there are 2 different thoughts on the growth, some guides say the cloudy water is bacteria bloom and it should clear as infusoria eats the bacteria which leaves you with infusoria. Other guides say when the water is cloudy that is the infusoria?

So looking for any advice, should I wait longer? Should it clear? Thought I'd ask some fellow south Africans who know our climate

2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day

I kinda gave up because I got mozzie larvae in the jar and getting them out of the smelly stuff was pretty disgusting :lol: was also on my kitchen windowsill and smelled
    But most of the resources I saw seemed to indicate that the cloudiness is bacteria bloom and one should wait until it clears

4. OP
    Ross

Ross

Thanks, I am trying to breed some fish for the first time, I have some glow light tetras that look easy enough to get to spawn. So far the hardest part is finding something to feed the fry for the first week or so. I see boiled egg yolk is an option but that just looks very messy.

A new day likes this.
  5. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I also have tried and failed at infusoria. I now use vinegar eels. My fry survival rate went from about 20 % to about 95 % once I started with the eels.

6. OP
    Ross

Ross

I saw some people use vinegar eels. Are they small enough for the very small tetra fry? That's the only reason I am trying this infusoria route.

Where did you get your eels if I may ask? I have looked but nothing online is RSA. And I am not sure if customs would let them in from off shore

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Crumbed egg yolk is a good alternative.
    But yes, it does get messy. So you have to stay on top of water changes.

8. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Yes they are. I breed cpds, sawbwa resplendens and emerald rasbora. All these fish are nanos. A newly hatched fry is about 5 mm long. Once they go free swimming they eat the vinegar eels.
    I got them on ebay early last year. They are easy to culture and easy to feed. One of the easiest live foods available IMO.

9. ZubairKhan

ZubairKhan

Interested in buying a culture if you are keen :), just love to feed my fish more live food

10. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I do sell. Usually R50 a culture plus anther R99 for Postnet. Just not sure if Postnet is operational at the moment.

You will need to culture your own grow medium - basically I use an apple cut into quarters and then a 1:1 mixture of Dischem apple cider vinegar and water. The vinegar needs to be preservative free and contain the mother otherwise the eels die. Also the water is I use is from my aquarium so its free from chlorine.

A new day likes this.
  11. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Anyone who wants some please PM me. I will send about 10 ml of water containing hundreds. Add this to your culture medium and in about a month you will have thousands.

A new day likes this.
  12. A new day

A new day

@TheGrissom Wish I could twist your arm to give The Courier Guy a try. A batch of vinager eels sent to CT should be a good experiment. As far as I understand they collect at your door and deliver at my door the next morning. Or that’s how it worked with McMerwe (Bloem) and Aqua Empire (Jhb). At R150 it’s only R50 more than Postnet and very efficient and reliable. Perhaps @Gamma could clarify/confirm/update?

You know exactly what my motive is here, if it works well then you might sell me and the rest of the country some of your CPDs :)

ZubairKhan likes this.
  13. ZubairKhan

ZubairKhan

Courier guy please :) come ooooon, yes please

14. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Vinegar eels dont need courier guy. Mine were sent from overseas and survived about 5 months in the post before they got to me, then I messed up my culture medium by using vinegar with preservatives which killed most of the eels. I had about half a ml of water with a few eels in it when I tried again using Dischem vinegar and this succeeded. Overall the eels were in water for about 6 months or so.

Honestly I cant keep up with the demand for cpds. I sold 43 fish in 2 days a week or so ago. Now I already have 20 fish booked for when my next batch is ready. And a lfs wants to buy from me as their supplier has skyrocketed the price due to lock down. I am busy redoing some tanks, I have a year plan. By end of the year I am hoping to have a dozen breeders up and running as well as a grow out tank to which I can move fish when they are about 2 months old so I can free up the breeders again. Possibly then I will look at shipping but for now the demand in PE is more than enough to make my breeding worth while

A new day and ZubairKhan like this.
  15. A new day

A new day

I’ll have to frikkin breed my own CPDs it seems :lol:

ZubairKhan likes this.
  16. ZubairKhan

ZubairKhan

All im saying is remember your fellow cape Townians when u do :)

A new day likes this.
  17. Gamma

Gamma

TCG is pretty damn cool. 100% recommend them. But as stated a culture like that is not time sensitive so use the cheapest courier you can find with the least amount of effort :)

Side note, if you are looking for CPD's I might have a contact up here and can ship you down a couple if you dont find them? I just sold of my 30 CPD breeding colony this week otherwise I would have offered them :(

A new day likes this.
  18. fux940510

fux940510

As a side note, Postnet is definitely operational. I sent a filter to @Lowflyer7 last week. It took longer than advertised, but that's probably the lockdown blues

A new day likes this.
  19. A new day

A new day

Thanks @Gamma !
    I’m ideally looking for CPDs Ds from a local breeder as opposed to imported ones, do you know the context?. Pity i missed yours :(

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  20. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

That is the best way IMO:D

A new day likes this.
  21. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

I sold 16 cpds to someone 2 weeks back. They were about 5 or 6 months old. He let me know last night that they have spawned and that there are a few fry in the tank. Im actually very impressed that they spawned at such a young age and that they spawned so soon after being moved.

ZubairKhan and A new day like this.

Recent Posts