Cory and minnow grow out project

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by A new day, Nov 10, 2019 at 8:44 AM.

1. A new day

A new day

Yesterday I released the bronze cory babies (20-25 of them, around 10 days old) into the new (cycled) 45L grow out tank that already contained around 30 White Cloud Mountain Minnow fry (of varying ages, from the pond). They were acclimatised first. Feeding them Hikari Firstbites multiple times a day, as I have done for the last week.

Cleanup crew of brown neocaridina shrimp from the 44L, and snails (nerites, ramshorns and trumpets).

Gentle flow HOB filter seeded with Matrix from the pond plus 250ml new matrix, activated carbon and filter floss, with creeping jenny growing out of it.

The extra susswassertang from the 44L is coming in handy, as well as some extra vallis mini and stem plants. Hornwort from the pond, and spiderwood that has been soaking in the pond. Using borehole water as I do in the pond.

The minnow fry look like mini neon tetra. They’ve been in the tank for a couple of days (first around 15, then another 15 or so a couple of days later).

Cory babies are looking active and are eating. This tank is actually meant to be my QT but have to raise the oopsies first :)

5196710F-684B-449C-BC2E-DF7DCA01AD70.jpeg

D3E819F7-7495-4728-BCC5-8D44F88864AE.jpeg

986A193A-7E27-45F2-836A-E7B4071D0587.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Cale24, Whoknows and T. Guppy like this.
  2. Guest

3. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Looks good! Glad the babies are all coming along so well!

A new day likes this.
  4. OP
    A new day

A new day

How are your cory babies coming along? Gathered from another post that you’re growing out fry too?

T. Guppy likes this.
  5. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

They're now almost as big as their dad!
    Sadly only 3 made it, I wasn't allowed another tank so I had to grow them out in a makeshift breeding box (a plastic container with holes poked in by my dad cause he didn't think I could do it :rolleyes:) and a lot escaped into the main tank cause the holes were too big. But the ones that made it are doing great thanks!

A new day and TetraJacques like this.
  6. OP
    A new day

A new day

Still great that you could grow out 3, especially under those circumstances :thumbup:
    How old are they now roughly?

T. Guppy likes this.
  7. Cale24

Cale24

Great to see you guys having success with Cories. I wish rams were easier!

A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  8. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Uhmm I'm not actually too sure, about 6 months I think

A new day likes this.
  9. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Are rams similar to angels when breeding?

10. OP
    A new day

A new day

I suspect rams may be more difficult than angels. @Cale24 ?

T. Guppy likes this.
  11. Cale24

Cale24

They're pretty difficult in comparison to angels yeah. They'll lay eggs often enough but if they don't eat them, they'll often eat the wigglers or fry.
    Some are decent parents, some terrible, and my best pair are the Dark Knights from Marco (they also don't fight much at all). The fry made it to day 11 in the tank (best record) but as they begin to disperse more and more the female panics and tries to move them to a given location and swallows them in the confusion.

Most people artificially raise the fry but I've been trying to avoid that as its time consuming work. Maybe in the holidays I'll have a go. The water also needs to be pristine at all times, given their sensitivity, but I tend to keep the TDS below 140 at all times anyway so that's not been an issue (needs to be 80 - 120 for eggs to become fertilised).
    Here's a pretty good guide for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/comments/2ufycz/artificially_breeding_of_electric_blue_rams_anhs/

A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  12. OP
    A new day

A new day

13. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

I made some of these for my angels . may be an option if no tanks space is available for corries.

Cale24, A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  14. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

Those glass jars in the tank should work quite well for any free swimming fry.
    They are contained in a smaller area where they don't have to hunt for food, are protected from possible predation by adults, and share the same water parameters as the other fish in the tank.

The only issue I see is cleaning the sponges, and what to do when they start growing too large for the jar, but still too small to introduce back to the tank with adults in.
    Perhaps running 2 jars with 1 being used to transfer the fry to every other day, in order to clean the first sponge?

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  15. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

They last quite long as using your main tank as the water volume it helps. Cleaning the sponge depends what type you use i leave mine dirty ot ciculating in my sumps. So bacteria stays constant and when i do use them they ready to go.

A new day likes this.
  16. OP
    A new day

A new day

It’s hard to explain using acceptable language just how useless this Dophin HOB filter is. I may as well have no filtration on this tank, almost zero circulation and fine particles breeze right past the sponge or stay suspended and drift right down.

It was disgusting today when I got back from work and I’m surprised nitrates were only 10. Even on max output and with the creeping jenny removed, absolutely useless. 380L/h yeah right.

Had to do about 50% wc including a gravel vac and airline syphoning to get at least some of the gunk out. The fry don’t seem to mind living in a pigsty, they’re happily motoring along.

Will probably get a little cannister filter like a Dophin 800 tomorrow and run it on the lowest setting. Specifically wanted something that’s fry safe, but dirty water is also not fry safe..

F77CD137-7DE1-4CC2-829E-66E4C8B9E97B.jpeg

84A78120-19CC-463B-A1AE-1F3A02D05FC7.jpeg

T. Guppy likes this.
  17. Pezulu

The issue I have with the SH380 filter is that there is no room for proper filter media.
    You have to use their cartridges, or nothing.

I use Cascade HOB filters on all my shrimp tanks.
    The 45L tank has a Cascade 100, the 2ft has a Cascade 150L and the 3ft tanks have Cascade 200's on them.
    All intakes have a sponge over them to keep shrimplets from being sucked in.
    The filters are filled with Seachem Matrix with a plastic mesh to stop smaller pieces of Matrix from entering the impeller chamber.

The Cascade filters a bit more expensive than the DoPhin, SOBO and other cheap filters, but worth every cent in my opinion.

A new day likes this.
  18. OP
    A new day

A new day

Ok cool thanks I’ll look out for Cascade.
    I crammed quite a lot of Matrix into this one, perhaps that’s why it’s not moving properly. In the meantime I also removed the filter floss to see if I can get better flow going but not impressed :mad:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM
  19. OP
    A new day

A new day

Couldn’t find a Cascade but replaced the DoPhin with an AquaClear 20 which seems to give much better flow. Covered the intake with sponge.

Syphoned again and another 40-50% wc, which I might have to do very often to get rid of the excess fine fry food as well as fry &snail pooh which I don’t see in my other tanks.

Also bought some brine shrimp eggs so will get a little hatchery going in an empty 2L bottle :)

Some of the cory fry are not growing as fast as the rest and, while still active and eating, I suspect only the robust ones will eventually make it.

Raising the cory fry is hard work in comparison to the platys and white clouds who just seem to raise themselves basically :lol:

Saw today but did not buy (too late now, and pricey) this Marina breeding box system that hangs on the outside of a tank (no gaps for fry to escape) and circulates water from the tank with a small airpump (sold separately). This one (largest model) is a bit pricey at R570 plus about R180 for the matching airpump.

281C3A7C-9ACC-481F-BBA2-564E09CC516D.jpeg

67E534FC-F0DE-4337-8B60-03AB635BD580.jpeg

T. Guppy likes this.
  20. Pezulu

Aquaclear is a very good filter.
    I used an Aquaclear 70 for a while, and the only thing that put me off was the price.

necris and A new day like this.
  21. necris

necris

Seconded. Rock solid. Check takealot for deals on them every now and then

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts