Conditioning Synodontis Petricola

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by iMG, Jan 20, 2020.

1. iMG

iMG

So ... I need some input here, I got lucky the first time my synos spawned and it took very little effort on my part, but this happened in the community tank and obviously none of the fry survived.

So now that i've moved them into their own tank and set up the pot for them to breed in they just aren't interested for well over a month now. From my research live black worm would be the best solution for conditioning them but as we all know our options for live food in this country are somewhat limited. I have tried frozen blood worm, frozen microworm, even brine shrimp ... and they will simply turn their noses up and i'll end up vacuuming the uneaten food off the substrate.

They are still exhibiting mating behaviour and the female is still swollen in her abdomen, a clear sign she is ready to spawn, the male is constantly following the female all over, but no tell tale T shape action as of yet and everytime he does get her in the pot with him, she just bolts right out.

I do have 2 other males in the community tank, but i chose the biggest of the batch to breed with, perhaps i should try another male ?

So any input from someone who has had this issue before, or alternatives to try as a live food source to get them conditioned ?

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

The Rift Synodontis are "cuckoos". They are brood parasites of Cichlids.
    Need to co-inside spawning to allow this to happen

4. OP
    iMG

iMG

Yes I've read this as well, but there are just as many posts online about people successfully breeding them on their own, and they have done so before in another tank as well...

ancistrus and Reedfish like this.
  5. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I guess it's worth giving it a go then.
    Perhaps plenty of live food - blood worm, daphnia etc and a slight rise in tank temp may help

iMG likes this.
  6. OP
    iMG

iMG

I suppose my question lies more with what I could use as an alternative live food to try condition them then? Everyone says black worm, and while I may have a little something in the pipeline with that, it does not help me right now...

Would baby earth worms maybe work? They're alive and they only seem to show interest in anything worm shaped, like they'll show interest in blood worms but won't eat it when they realize it's dead...

7. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

I may be way out but the fact that you had them breeding saus your nutrition is good. Most of the rift valley species i found the moment you remove competition you fail. Add the rest of your males and let the males compete but keep an close eye for injuries.

iMG likes this.
  8. OP
    iMG

iMG

Hmm, perhaps I should drop the other 2 males in there and keep an eye out that they're not bullying her.

9. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

The issue that i found if I did an 1 to 1 ratio the male focused on the female and then harmed her or killed her.

I read an Tanganyika book that referred to breeding in colonies. so the male does breed but you have to distract them so he keeps his territory protected and lets the female do her thing . I have had success with adding other fish as well so I would mix Julicromis with Caudios or Bricardis with shell-dwellers . Yes you do loose some but they awesome parents .

iMG likes this.
  10. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@iMG

I dont know much about breeding them, but I would try earthworms as a conditioner.
    Very few fish resist earthworms and they an excellent conditioning food source
    I use them for my stingrays and newborn pups
    Fortunately i have plenty in my veggie patch as i often add compost but i know the fishing tackle shops also sell them for bait

11. OP
    iMG

iMG

And Grindal worms? found a guy with a culture that's not too far from me, think it would be more feasible for me to try maintain a culture of Grindal worms as I can at least use them on multiple fry as well as for conditioning whereas the earthworms would be too big for fry. I am certainly going to go buy some from the tackle shop though to test on the synos.

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Im sure the Grindal worms should be ok especially for the fry and the adults if they eat it
    Or condition the adlts up with earthworms and ue the Grindal for the babies

iMG likes this.
  13. OP
    iMG

iMG

So... After adding a second male for a few days, my female jumped ship last night and became biltong... 2 years of growing this fish to spawn it and it jumped which has never happened before so I suspect she must have been bullied.

Guess the hunt is on for a new female...

14. A new day

A new day

Oh no! Sorry man :(

iMG likes this.
  15. OP
    iMG

iMG

You're telling me, especially since the juveniles you can normally buy are almost impossible to sex correctly

A new day likes this.
  16. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Sorry to hear.
    Not nice when that happens

iMG likes this.
  17. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Sorry to hear...
    Its a terrible feeling....

iMG likes this.

Recent Posts