Condensation from tank cover

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Oldtimer, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Is there anybody who have already devised a working solution to stop condensation running down the outside of the tank from the standard plastic tank covers.

2. Guest

3. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

If you use a pc fan to create some air movement above tank the vapour is removed and there is no more condensation

4. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

put a slider or flat cover like glass between the tank and the canopy ..

All depends why you still want the plastic cover.

Later Ferdie

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Having a line of silicon before the lid reaches the outside of the tank also works. The drops reach there, then fall back into the tank.

6. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

This works well.

I ended up using glass lids on all my 30 and a scape, much less hassle.

7. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

At first I did not have cover at all. The wife was scared the fish will jump out the tank and insisted on me putting a cover on. That meant new lights, the old ones went to Hannes in exchange for two plants. I then installed a white and a red LED light but found the red light to distort the colour of the plants to look like dry karoo bushes. I then installed longer LED tubes in white and blue and was content. The shorter white and red lights went Barry. Then the condensation ran down the outside of the tank making the formica base on which the tank was standing swell up. And I then thought the tank developed a leak and promptly went to buy a new tank. The old tank was donated to Pet Emporium. I had to remove the wooden base and bought a 4ft stand which I attacked with a grinder and removed the top frame on which the tank sits. I reassembled everything and again was content. Untill my wife told me the new tank is also leaking. On closer inspection I noticed it was the condensation and very specifically where the air pipes go into the tank. Also very pronounced around the areas where the bracing glass on top is mounted.

I have decided to fit an aluminium strip areound the edge of the tank. The profile must be flat against the glass then bent outwards for around 10mm then upwards again. It will then be sealed with silicon and the cover will sit inside this frame.

I hope this will work.

8. Ammar

Ammar

shuh..
    at least you havent given up on the hobby after all these mishaps...
    have things settled in the tank or are you still getting deaths?

9. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@Oldtimer if you still have condensation after your plan just take a hole saw an drill a hole in the middle of the lid. You can cover that with mesh to keep the fish in. Your air under the lid won't condense as the vapor can leave through the hole. You'll have a little more evaporation but not much.

10. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Just out of interest sake I se a lot of the guys in Malaysia moun about condensation on the outside glass when they keep crystal shrimp. That must be a headache as there's nothing you can do about it excpect install an aircon. The crystal shrimp tanks run colder that their natural air that side because of the chillers.

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Oldtimer ... unfortunately those plastic covers are a pain in the behind

@BoelderBeestie's suggestion of making a hole on top does work as I did that to my 2ft fry tanks
    I also took some double sided tape but the one that glues on one side only and i trimmed the top of the tank all around with it
    The plastic cover then fits tight around it and the water doesnt drip down the sides

12. OP
    Oldtimer

Oldtimer

I have previously cut three rectangular holes in the top and fitted automatic feeders for while we were on holiday.

On returning from holiday I noticed that the feeder with flakes that I crushed fine is not working as well as I thought so I removed it from its base and closed the little lid mounted on the base.

The past weekend I did a 25% water change and removed the lid completely to do that. Before refitting the lid I thought that it was actually a nice sized hole if I remove the one auto feeder base. It works like a dream. No more condensation running down the outside of the tank and no more wife complaining about the dining room dresser standing next to it becoming wet.

So, yes, Boelderbeestie, the hole in the top works well. Problem solved.

Amakawa and MariaS like this.
  13. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Recent Posts