CO2 DIY

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Saibot, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Saibot

Saibot

Hey guys,

Im experimenting with DIY CO2. I don't have a fancy set up, just a couple bottle and some yeast.i have a question though.

My bottle is producing one bubble per second. Due to this I've only been doing the line in during peak photosynthesis hours. I.e. mid lighting period for a session of two hours. Then i remove it about two hours before lights off.
    I do this because I'm trying to avoid over doing it and it's only a 80l tank. No hi demand co2 plants yet but wel see where it goes.
    Will this add enough c02 or is playing with the balance like this equally dangerous.
    Currently have nothing to test with so wil need to invest anyway

I dose scape liquid carbon daily and alternate between flourish excel and advance twice a week.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Guest

3. Hein@1979

Hein@1979

I have 2 bottles in a 3ft (100L) and 1 bottle in a 2ft (60L) both add enough in the tanks, i mixed 4kdh water and made a indicator with 2 seringes, so in short, it does provide enough co2, i dose organic aqua every sunday on water changes, i could see a big change in plant growth with the co2 instead of only dosing once a week, my bottles last me about 3 weeks

4. OP
    Saibot

Saibot

Thanks for this reply.
    How long do you dose for? Should i be doing more or just see how it goes first.

5. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Aren't you guys having issues with BBA ? I have also tried the DIY CO2 method and found it to be unstable and caused some BBA. I used two 2l bottles, with sugar and yeast recipe and a short piece of sosatie stick as a diffuser.
    My one bottle had and extra pipe with a valve at the end which I opened an hour before the lights went off. This just helped so that I didn't need to take the diffuser out of the tank.

I personally think any added CO2 in the tank is beneficial to plant growth, whether it's through injection on liquid form. I have also read that liquid carbon is not very safe.
    And apparently some plants doesn't prefer liquid CO2 eg. Vallis, if this is all true I don't know. The best thing is to experiment, all tanks are different. Each one reacts different to different things.

Saibot likes this.
  6. OP
    Saibot

Saibot

Only been doing this for a short while so no BBA yet. Although i'll keep an eye out.
    Liquid Carbon has worked wonders for me in the past but my plants got to a point where they weren't growing as much. I've since added both root tabs and CO2.

7. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I have never tried root tabs, only for the reason that I can't get it here but seems to be doing well from what I have seen from people who do use it.
    Just experiment, you will find what works best for you. I'm also still in early stages of planted aquariums. My biggest issue was the light I used and rather replacing it I tried ferts ect. which
    completely destroyed everything in my previous tank. I have a complete new set-up and better lighting regarding light spectrum and that did wonders.

Good luck, keep us posted on the growth

Saibot likes this.
  8. OP
    Saibot

Saibot

Yup, think I need better lighting as well otherwise I am going to have a nutrient buildup.

9. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I think a lot of us who start with planted tanks underestimate lighting and how important it is. But anyway that's a conversation for a next time.
    Low light can sometimes cause a lot of issues with diatoms (brown algae). Iv'e been through it and it drove me crazy.

10. Hein@1979

Hein@1979

I have a low tec setup, i bought 6000k led bulps and fitted 2 on the 3ft and 1 on the 2ft, i did not remove the defuser and it works well with the low setup, so in short, its trial and error but works good for me, i premix the sugar so it desolves completely, then i activate the yeast with low temp water, fill 2L bottle half with the sugar water, add the yeast, and fill the bottle with low temp water to nearly full, 40mins later you will have gas, my last 2 bottles supplied me a month

IMG_20190814_192519_9.jpg

IMG_20190814_192515_4.jpg

IMG_20190814_192509_3.jpg

11. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Nice looking plants!! looks very healthy. I used the same method but replaced the mix in one bottle weekly just to make sure the CO2 stays stable.

12. OP
    Saibot

Saibot

So word of warning to anyone using the ISTA waterplant CO2 cartridge diffuser. Absolute waste of money, the cartridge lasted for 3 sessions of 1 hour injection. At about R90 a pop per cartridge that is hellishly expensive.
    Going to stick to the DIY and try get it working right.
    Wondering if a bigger (say 2L) bottle would be needed to make use of the diffuser I now have from the set. Simply because of pressure.

13. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

That water sprite will take over your tank in no time!

14. OP
    Saibot

Saibot

Okay so I can basically be classified as mentally challenged... can't get yeast to produce CO2. I can only think I must be a special needs case because Grade 7 biology classes achieve this with ease... LOL

Anyway, i invested in a 2L bottle. I think the problem is either that there is not enough pressure to push through the one way valve I connected before the tank. I also made the air line about 2M too long which probably isn't helping. Will try post pics later so you can all see the mess I made... Had fun doing it though. Never been brilliant with DIY but I am having fun so what the heck.

15. Adrian Gatter

Adrian Gatter

Try Citric Acid & Bicarb
    Both can be bought in the baking aisle of PnP

Saibot likes this.
  16. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Pipe length should be fine, there's no leaks ? Did you activate the yeast ?

1. Mix 2 cups brown sugar + 1 tea spoon of baking soda with warm water (Bowl the water first, but make sure it cools down a bit. Otherwise your bottle will melt) and let it cool down to room temperature.
    2. Add a table spoon of brown sugar to another small bottle, say 500ml coke bottle. Add 1 tea spoon bakers yeast and 100ml warm water (super important: The water must be between 35 and 40 deg Celsius. Its probably not necessary to be exactly between those temps but that's how I did mine to make sure it activates every time. If its to cold it wont activate, to hot and it kills the yeast). Shake the bottle like crazy for about a minute and let it rest. In a couple of minutes you will see foam starting to develop.
    3. Once your 2L bottle with the sugar has cooled down add the yeast mix and fill up the bottle to about two 4-5cm from the top with distilled water or treated water. And again shake the bottle to mix the sugar and yeast.

After this it should produce CO2, just give it some time. I usually shook the bottle about every 10 minutes so the bottle fills up with gas.

Hope you come right !

Saibot likes this.
  17. OP
    Saibot

Saibot

Thanks man, I am going to keep tinkering till I get this right. Really appreciate the nice step process here though. The bottles were so cheap I am going to get a few extra and try different mixtures as well to see what works best.

18. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I just used a normal 2l coke bottle. Drilled a small hole in the cap and threaded drip irrigation pipe about 2cm through it. The inside diameter of drip irrigation pipe is the same but a little thicker and it doesn't bend.
    The drip irrigation pipe is cut about 20cm from the bottle lid, on that a non return valve and from there, normal tubing to the tank. I still have the setup. I will send a photo of it tonight.

Go read the link. This will help a lot with recipes. Experiment with the mixture as well. You never know what you might achieve by doing this.
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/diy-co2-mix-experiment.92080/?amp=1

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Saibot likes this.
  19. OP
    Saibot

Saibot

God I love this forum. Thank you!

TetraJacques likes this.
  20. Hein@1979

Hein@1979

I removed the valve aswell, not enough pressure, i reconnected valve with 2 bottles connecting to one pipe, then its fine, you can leave that checkvalve, there is always pressure in the bottle, chances of water returning is slim

Saibot likes this.
  21. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Good point, I have never thought of that. I wasn't happy with the pressure from the beginning.

Recent Posts