CO2 - bubbles per second

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by spiked, Sep 6, 2019.

1. spiked

spiked

Good morning everybody,
    Im new to CO2, bought a great system from Aqua Empire recently.

I have a 40lt (338 Jebo) tank, moderately planted. Most intense CO2 needed plant is my carpet which has been struggeling to grow (Marsilea Hirsuta).

First question:
    I have been running my CO2 8 hours a day at a bubble rate of 1 per second. my 34oz / 1Lt tank lasted 2 weeks...is this normal?

Second question:
    I Do have a Drop checker in my tank and it is steady at dark turquoise (Green blue-ish). How much CO2 (bubbles per second) should be sufficient for a tank at PH7?

Third Question:
    Took my empty tank to a Paintball shop to get it refilled and they disclosed that all tanks needs to be checked every 4 years as per SA's safety regulation, and every time they test the tanks, a new date is stamped/engraved on the bottle. However just got a new tank (swopped from a different aquarium store) that only has 2013 on and no new /other dates, anyone else found this? Im sure these tanks do go through some sort of safety checks when refilled right?

Thank you kindly

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

:rolleyes:

Welcome to TASA ... so any pictures of the setup ... the currency for information is pictures - loads of them and regular updates ;-)

Later Ferdie

4. OP
    spiked

spiked

Hi Ferdie hope you are doing well?

Thank you for the reply, Ok Im new to TASA so thank you.
    heres some pictures of my setup :)
    IMG_5761.JPG IMG_5762.JPG IMG_5763.JPG IMG_5764.JPG IMG_5765.JPG

5. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Nice kit, you might be pumping too much CO2 for your plant density, and the colour checkers are not that great to start with, and less so with a tank that is still busy maturing. I see an airstone, power head, CO2 ... maybe take a step back and figure out what your end goal is. Are you going for a planted tank with fish or a fish tank with some plants.

You do have the bones of a great setup - but be in a rush and all you will do trim weeds all day long.

Get to know the plants you have, make sure that they have enough light ( type and amount ) CO2 is just another part of the fertilizer story ... so it is all in balance.

No matter what your goal the kit you have is quality - but I would look at upgrading to a 2kg or 5kg CO2 transfire bottle or similiar - not because we use so much but those tanks are limited to refill at an LFS - well that is what they say.

My advise - plant dense first .. then take a look at the real CO2 requirement.

Later Ferdie

David Kusner likes this.
  6. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

A proper bottle is worth it, I have a 2kg bottle (Holds 2kg of co2) and a R50 refill has lasted me months at 1bps on my 60l :)

David Kusner likes this.
  7. OP
    spiked

spiked

Excellent advise. Thank you.
    Must say that my plants, especially the “carpet” is my priority... have trouble getting the carpet going as you can see, Marsilia Hirsuta.(2nd go with this particular plant.)

But having a bit of a concern as this bottle; 1lt (34oz) is only lasting 2 Weeks... and pumping at 1 bubble per second at 8hours a day. i have done a regulator test to check leaks but cant find any. Any idea on how long it should actually last?

Oh yes the airstone was an add on last night as aparently its good to aironate the water during night time? Haha doesn look great though as need to scape it in

8. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Is that pressure the current pressure? It should still be pumping..

9. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Marsilia Hirsuta - is a slow grower at the best of time .... what I have seen in the past - more light than fertz play a big part in its growth.

Later Ferdie

10. OP
    spiked

spiked

Thank you :) really appreciate the help, it seems that ym regulator had a leak at the valve, so fixed it, and hoping my CO2 holds longer.

Also update, have decided to take out the Marsilia Hirsuta, and replaced it with HM (Hemianthus Micranthemoides) aparently much easier to maintain and carpet

Recent Posts