Wanted: Clown Loaches

Discussion in 'Wanted/Swop/Freebies' started by David Kusner, Aug 16, 2019.

1. David Kusner

David Kusner

Hi TASA

I am looking for clown loaches, preferably very small ones that I can grow our in GP. Aquarium center had some last weekend, sadly by the time I got their, there was only one left. I would prefer to purchase from a private or local breeder.

TIA

2. Guest

3. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

As far as I know, there are no breeders in SA. There is a guy in the States who actually breeds his own strain. Its quite amazing as horomones are normally used to induce breeding, but this guy says he never has. I think Cory from Aquarium Co-Op has a video on it.

4. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

@Amakawa Thanks for the info I will keep looking. They seem hard to come by and when ever I do they are extremely pricey. And most times you never get babies. I was so suprised to see the one I got and I was so excited as I enjoy getting the fish when they are still small and then giving them the correct enviroment to thrive in.

One thing I find so rewarding about this hobby is growing out the small juvenile fish into their full potential adult size. You learn a lot about a species when you get to do this.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Wazeers and Aquarium Center in Kenilworth had some baby ones but for some reason, clown loaches have become extremely expensive

As has been said, they dont really breed in captivity/ tanks
    I know there is a farm in Asia that i believe does breed some in ponds with the use of hormones, havent really heard of the guy in the States but its possible
    Most are wild caught and i always Prazi mine when i add new ones
    It helps a lot with growth as well and gets rid of "skinny disease" which they often carry

Slightly bigger ones always cost an arm and a leg

6. Amakawa

Amakawa Comp Coordinator

Heres the link to the video

7. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

Hi @David Kusner If you want I could introduce you to my local pet shop . I normally give an list (fish wise ) off what I need once an month and the order the exact size. I also get a bit of an discount due to the fish not going into their tanks. Give me a shout If you need help.

8. top dog

top dog

@David Kusner i agreed with buying babies and watching them grow, but with clown loaches i hope you have patience cause man do they grow slowly

9. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

@MariaS yes I did purchase the last one at Aquarium center and was so happy as I have been searching for a long time for these, but sadly only got one at present. He/She is currently in QT with the pepper corries that I got from them as well as they are all doing well. They are all been medicated for worms and any other possible nasties. They will be in QT for at least 1 month and once I am happy they will move to the big tank.

@top dog I know they are grow extremely slow, but I have lots of patients and I like this kind of thing. hopefully with lots of space to swim around and plenty of fresh foods it will frow nice a big. Or at least to its full potential. It also gives me time to find him/her some friends.

10. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Hello @David Kusner. I was just at wild on pets today to buy some airstones, and I saw they had some clown loaches, but I don't know if they're as small as you'd like, I'd say about as long as my thumb.. Price wise, I didn't look properly at the cost but I did note that it was less than R100 I think I could be wrong, as I didn't look properly..

11. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Thanks @T. Guppy I think they may have been the same ones I saw last week. I wasn't to happy with the look of them, health wise and wasnt going to take any chances with them due to the high cost. Thanks anyway I will keep on looking.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Recent Posts