catfish food

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by thecatfishguy, Feb 27, 2016.

1. thecatfishguy

thecatfishguy

Hi guys, so feeding my my catfish is getting a bit on the expensive side as im using either tiger barbs or danios. Preferably i would love to feed them pellets but they dont even look at them! so my question is how do i train these guys to eat pellets and whats the best pellet to feed them or is there some place where i can buy huge quantities of feeder fish dor them but at a price wich wont break the bank! All advise and commenta will be appreciated. By the way its a tiger shovel nose and a redtail catfish both about 10 cm long.

2. Guest

3. mattie

mattie

have you tried earthworms?

4. OP
    thecatfishguy

thecatfishguy

No i havent but i definetly will try tomorrow! Thank you and i believe you can give them pieces of chicken of ox heart aswell?

5. mattie

mattie

chicken hart might work

6. Jwh

Jwh

Don't feed live feeders or land based proteins. imo best pellet food to feed is Hikari massivore, starve the fish for a couple of days and they will start eating them, I hope you have a pond or a 4m tank to keep them, both of these will reach a meter+. I would start training term to eat hake, prawns and tilapia, keeping these guys are going to seriously rock your wallet, both accommodation and upkeep wise.

7. Jwh

Jwh

Don't feed live feeders or land based proteins. imo best pellet food to feed is Hikari massivore, starve the fish for a couple of days and they will start eating them, I hope you have a pond or a 4m tank to keep them, both of these will reach a meter+. I would start training term to eat hake, prawns and tilapia, keeping these guys are going to seriously rock your wallet, both accommodation and upkeep wise.

8. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Jwh gives some good advice
    keep them hungry for a few days and then feed the new food. They will get there eventually.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. OP
    thecatfishguy

thecatfishguy

Im currently setting up a 550 litre tank for them. And thanx for the adivice on the food i bought tetra sinking plelets today from companion pets wich im hoping the will eat. Why shouldnt i feed then land based protiens or feeder fish? Sprry im new to catfish?

10. Jwh

Jwh

Too much fat in land based animal protein, in many cases fish can't assimilate these proteins. Feeder fish for the reason you experience, difficult to get them of feeders, expensive, change of parasites and disease, dash may damage them when chasing feeders in the confines of a tank. A 550l tank will not be adequate for life.

11. OP
    thecatfishguy

thecatfishguy

I know it will not be adequte for life! Iv seen both these speices get bigger the 5 foot in length!!

Recent Posts