Cape Town clubs or meetups?

Discussion in 'Cape Town Fish Keepers' started by marlon, Dec 17, 2013.

1. marlon

marlon

Hey there guys

I noticed that the cape town forum is very quiet while I was searching for possible clubs and meetups in the areas.
    Are there any groups or meetups or clubs around cape town pertaining to fish-keeping, in my selfish case, primarily freshwater/tropical.
    My girlfriend is an awesome tutor, and assistant in my beginner days, but even with her knowledge, it is hard to find the fish/plants we want.
    And to be frank, the forums here are no good for asking "where", since only sponsors can be mentioned, a rule I find really hard to swallow on a "free to speak" platform.

Be as it may, it would be awesome to mingle, chat, brag and see what others do and have and where they obtain their fish and plants. Otherwise, we are limited to what google yields, word of mouth on the street and the general 5 million opinions you get when searching the web.

The two of us are based in the northern subs, but travelling a bit is not a huge problem for meetups.

2. Guest

3. Frank007301

Frank007301

I am Frank too and i am in Cape Town!

4. OP
    marlon

marlon

I see what you did there, :cheesy:

5. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

@marlon - I'm not aware of any fish-keepers clubs in South Africa, let's be honest, us Cape Town folk can barely organise a tea party....
    PS. You may request species on this forum and almost anybody may answer with any store name, it is only store owners and their employees that may answer your call unless they are sponsors.

What are you looking for? Perhaps I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. zaqwsx15

zaqwsx15

most of the swaps and conversations ive had specifically with capetownians has been by PM - i generally just organise direct with people to meet at specific petshops or trade at home or go collect at their homes etc.

to my knowledge, there have been very few group meetups where you sit and drink and chat about the hobby although there are some people who hosts the occasional braais.

as jack said, is there anything specific you need, maybe one of us can point in the right direction...or were you thinking more the social aspect of the hobby?

plants are my thing...i give away a lot of plants and mosses, anything you specifically looking for?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  7. OP
    marlon

marlon

Thanks for the responses.
    I was referring to a more social aspect, it helps in getting exposure to new ideas and things.

Nothing specific we are looking for right now, but will definitely ask on the forum when the time comes, it is very good to know.

Just felt a bit overwhelmed by the shops, no ones knows what kind of breeding they are doing, and half of them are selling plants that are not even aquatic plants.

Thanks guys!

8. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

Did you read this in the rules?

9. OP
    marlon

marlon

I tried to find it in the rules, which I only skimmed. I gathered it from posts over the last 3 years (i search before making new posts) where url's of shops and names of companies have been edited and removed, rendering innocent informative posts useless to me (and I guess anyone else hitting those). This is just my opinion and experience as a new user here, which is why I ended up making a post like this that I thought might bring me to meet people where it ok to name names.

With all due respect of course :)

10. AKovarsky

AKovarsky

I rate we do a meet up some time during the holidays.

11. Nick

Nick Nick

I think it is a great idea to meet. I always learn by visiting other people and see how their setup looks

12. OP
    marlon

marlon

:dito:

13. Jenn

Jenn Retired Moderator

You can mention the name of a pet shop, just don't give contact details or advertise for them.

14. wagenmeister

wagenmeister

Hi guys I just registered. Fairly new to the hobby and looking for advice and like minded people in and around Cape Town. I myself is from Stellenbosch and bought a tank for my now fiance and got hooked myself.
    Started reading a bit and watching videos about experienced fish keepers.

I started cheap with a secondhand tank:
    100l (normal square) tank with filter, heater and cheap aerator.

Fish:
    4 Angels
    4 Golden Barbs
    2 Neon Tetras
    1 Dwarf Gurami
    3 Platies

15. maheshdeva

maheshdeva

Im looking for Tropical Fish Clubs where one can display ones show specimens and make exchanges in Cape Town.

There used to be one in Belgravia in 1996.

If there are any such, please can you provide me contact details, telephone numbers and locations..

16. maheshdeva

maheshdeva

Im looking for Tropical Fish Clubs where one can display ones show specimens and make exchanges in Cape Town.

There used to be one in Belgravia in 1996.

If there are any such, please can you provide me contact details, telephone numbers and locations..

Recent Posts