Bumps on black skirted tetra

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by luan3thebuffinator, Mar 10, 2019.

1. luan3thebuffinator

luan3thebuffinator

Good afternoon, I’ve recently noticed a bump on my tetra at the base of her body, very close to the tail inside the fin, And then it also has some darker bands in random spots like close to the gills and on the one side just above this black bump. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Sorry for the terrible quality photos, the tetra didnt like the phone close at all

Thanks in advance

541F66FC-593B-41A9-A956-CB7F40E67B30.jpeg

6280E1CB-8D5E-44AC-B1DE-986B7D70E8D7.jpeg

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Could I ask for a little more information, so we can perhaps pinpoint a cause?

How long have you had this fish? And how long has the tank been running?
    What is the water quality like, and when last did you do a water change?
    Are there other fish in the tank, are they showing any (even vaguely) similar symptoms? Or anything out of the ordinary about them at all?
    How is the filtration in this tank?

Typically black marks on the body/fins may indicate an excess in ammonia in the water, which may have popped up for a number of reasons. The bump on the body may be a small infection that saw an opportunity with a stressed fish, and took hold.

4. OP
    luan3thebuffinator

luan3thebuffinator

Thank you for you quick reply,

Ive had this fish for about a little under a year now, maybe like 10 months. I got him with 6 others at the same time and neither they nor the other fish in the tank is showing anything like this. (The other fish are 6 rummynose tetras a pleco and two pearl gourami females)
    The tank has been running for around a year and a half and my parameters are all good:
    Ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates Im not sure but I did a test and the colour matched up with <50ppm and the pH is around 6.8-7

I have a 100l sump filter on this tank and I did a waterchange two weeks ago.

It doesnt look like the fish is starting to swim weird or that it is affected by this at all when comparing him to the others around him.

5. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

When in doubt with fish health, 8 times out of 10 your first step is keeping up water quality - throwing in an extra water change here and there for the time being will help keep the environment optimal for recovery.

As for the diagnosis... it is really difficult to say. I've seen darkened bodies in tetras kind of like this, but not identical nor with the bump. Some cases were ammonia burn, but this is typically only towards the edges of soft tissue (gill edge, fins, eye perimeter etc.). Even if your ammonia is reading at zero, there may have been a "pulse", potentially caused by an accidental overfeed, or a death in the tank that went unnoticed.

The other time I've seen this is in old tetras - I'm talking 6+ years in age. Some parts of the body darken kind of like what is seen here. Additionally, you may see some deformity: slight to severe bend in the spine, jaw skewing and being unable to close mouth properly, and gills appearing to be propped open. I've seen it in black skirt tetras, Columbian tetras, bleeding heart tetras, and blind caves tetras. Bear in mind that when you buy a fish, it may be about a year old already, but in your case, your specimen isn't that old anyway...

In either case, time to death varies widely. If it was an ammonia spike that passed, just keep up good maintenance to give your fish time to heal, and all should be fine. If it is age related, then keep the fish in as good an environment as possible, unless the condition worsens, then you may want to consider euthanasia.

This isn't a definitive diagnosis - I'm not a fish vet by any means. I'll hit the books tomorrow afternoon and see if I can find any alternative problems/solutions, and let you know from there.

Regards,

6. OP
    luan3thebuffinator

luan3thebuffinator

Thank you so much for your help, I will do water changes more often and keep an eye out for any worsening.

In such cases where euthanasia should be considered how would you go about that? Ive read in some places to use clove oil and the older books say smack them against a hard floor (this one I will definitely NOT be doing) but I’ve never asked someone that has experiences in this area about what they do?

7. OP
    luan3thebuffinator

luan3thebuffinator

Thank you so much for your help, I will do water changes more often and keep an eye out for any worsening.

In such cases where euthanasia should be considered how would you go about that? Ive read in some places to use clove oil and the older books say smack them against a hard floor (this one I will definitely NOT be doing) but I’ve never asked someone that has experiences in this area about what they do?

8. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

If you have access to clove oil, that would be ideal. That is just a case of overdosing on an anaesthetic, so in theory not distressing to the fish at all.

But let's not go there just yet. I'll try get back to you this afternoon.

Recent Posts