Breeding Bettas?

Discussion in 'JHB Aquarists' started by Cookie, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Cookie

Cookie

Hi everyone! Newbie here :cheesy:

So I'm looking into starting to breed some bettas :amuse: I've had one which sadly died and have just added a new boy into our tank and am starting to realise I'm actually kind of addicted to the different colours, fin types and variations! So I'm looking to hopefully start breeding them :cheesy:

Is there any advice anyone has? The main things I would like to know more of are:

- Good previous breeders/stores that have good quality males/females to select for breeding (preferably in the Randburg area)
    - Best conditions for breeding Bettas
    - Is it possible to mix tail types? Such as a veil tail with a crown tail?
    - Best results anybody has had before! (and pics if there is anyone with some :amuse:)

I think I'm covered with the basic info, but if anyone has any advice/suggestions they would like to make.. PLEASE throw anything you want at me!

Thanks!
    -Kay

2. Guest

3. BBQ

BBQ

Give the following hennieroux,charles,wyren a shout
    I know they are biggggg fans of these fish and breeds them
    I have one as well but not breeding him or not as yet
    till i can get all the info i need :D

HTH

4. Charles

Charles

Hi @Cookie, @HennieRoux is right up your ally. Check out the 'Breeding' forums, you're sure to come right there. I breed Betta's for the passion I have for them as well. You can also check out my thread on 'Breeding New Imported Betta's' by Charles. Welcome to TASA and I agree that betta's are addictive, I have nearly 1000 of them all in all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. BBQ

BBQ

See I knew Charles would be here in a flash of lighting.. LOL

6. Charles

Charles

You don't say @BBQ...lol

7. BBQ

BBQ

All I can say for you my friend! is that ur addicted!
    Talking of which, I must still come get some advice from you.

8. OP
    Cookie

Cookie

Oh wow, thanks for the speedy reply BBQ & Charles! :) 1000 bettas? my mouth actually dropped open lol.. I will go and check out your thread now and contact hennie! Thank you so much!

9. Charles

Charles

@BBQ no problem, I'm going on a little getaway with my wife from 30 March to 3 April. We must get together after that. Still waiting for Moolis to come back to me wrt that black female...

10. BBQ

BBQ

ah no problem, just need time too so it might be later, cos need to setup my other 2 tanks
    @Moolis slacking on the photo shoot today, dont worry charles I will bug him to do it tomorrow
    if he forgets, I will take the pic hahaha

11. OP
    Cookie

Cookie

@Charles am having a peek at your male bettas, and I have to say, your blue halfmoon is absolutely stunning.. I think I'm in love!

I can never find any other tail types than veil tails, and am trying to hunt down a crowntail and a halfmoon.. I just think they look amazing!

12. Charles

Charles

@BBQ no problem, I'm going on a little getaway with my wife from 30 March to 3 April. We must get together after that. Still waiting for Moolis to come back to me wrt that black female...

DSCF4853.jpg

Black Blue Lace HMM X Turquoise  STF Fry (16 Weeks 2 days old).jpg

Green HMM (11w4d)(1).jpg

13. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

14. Charles

Charles

@Cookie, thanks. regarding breeding... I crossed a half-moon male with a veiltail female... beautiful colours... problem is the fins... it's all over the place and veil tail is a very dominant trait/gene/allale. rather cross ct to ct and hm to hm. I must say, I crossed vt female to a ct male and the fry are stunning, they call them comb tails, you get the long veil tail that ends in ct spikes.

15. azurekoi

azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

Asian breeders have spent their time and effort for hundreds if not thousands of Betta generations to see the stunning examples of the distinct varieties that we see today... Gentics rule that the trait you see in that specific variety has become dominant over other traits.... Now you go mix two different strains - sure you will get some "Interesting" babies...but on average a lot lower grade than the parents...

If you DO find a cool looking/good quality baby in such a cross between varieties...it will take quite a few generations to "Fix" this strain.... Welcome to the mad world of fish genetics..he,he

16. Charles

Charles

Again I agree with azurekoi, rather keep the strains pure, it really takes a couple of generations to fix previous strain problems. Remember this one thing... it cost's just as much raising muts than it is raising show quality specimens. Which will you choose... rather buy decent quality breeding stock, which is expensive.... believe me I know!!! Besides, you will sit with 200 to 400 fry that are muts and nobody wants to buy them... what then...

17. OP
    Cookie

Cookie

Don't worry.. I'm used to nut houses hehehe.. thanks! I'll check it out :)

I feel like I should be back in a science lab lol.. I just checked out the mutations and oddballs thread, @Charles.. PLEASE tell me you have some green/black left? My partner and I have fallen for them.. If possible could you please send some details and when they're ready to be taken etc? We're thinking about possibly getting a pair from you :) M/F, for breeding purposes as I think your fish are absolutely stunning.. I really don't think there's any chance I could find such fish in a pet store! lol :)

18. OP
    Cookie

Cookie

I think I do want to stick with breeding a 'matching' pair :) And I'm not planning on breeding my store-bought VT right now, I think he's very young anyway, and even though he has stunning colours (blue body, green mid section, green dorsal fin and red tail - hence his name [Skittles]), I'm not sure about breeding him!

19. Charles

Charles

Yes I still have a couple of them left, about 5 or so, the greens go really fast. I always wanted green one's, could'nt find any. Eventually bred them myself...who knew... You can pm me you email adres and then we can take it from there. Like I tell other people as well, I'm not a commercial breeder or anything in that line, I breed them out of passion for the species.

20. OP
    Cookie

Cookie

I'm hopefully going to be doing the same :) I just love them! lol, I'll try and post a pic of our new boy when I get the chance, but it's hard to get a nice pic of him :(

Here's my boy Scarlett that I lost a couple of weeks ago :( bad picture, but I loved him! Had such an awesome personality :)

Scarlett.jpg

Scarlett.jpg

21. Skye01

Skye01

@Charles, the Tri-coloured male in the second pic is just too stunning for words. Do you still have some like him?

Recent Posts