Bostik marine

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by woestynbaber, Aug 11, 2015.

1. woestynbaber

woestynbaber

i thought id share my expierence with this sealant and wow, horrible, i built two new tanks over the weekend, 2mx30cmx30cm 6mmglass, braced well, first time after30 hours of curing three top bracing panels tore loose, well basically the silicone beeds split in half, re did the silicone on all braces after 35 hours of curing and placing tank on newly built wooden platform, (unsealed) two braces failed and two side seems. = wood ruined plus viewing pane broke:blink: second smaller tank 1m x 30cm x30cm 6mm glass cured for 24hours side seem split.

tanks where leveld proper and past recomended curing time, glass was properly cleaned.

i contacted bostik and i must say they came back to me within 10mins.(after hours) customer service ill give them 10 but marine sealant il give them a slip for a refund.

i wil update the thread as to what happens next

2. Guest

3. Ortaega

Ortaega

Not nice at all!!!

Any updates?

4. Broder

Broder

Yo... That's a horrible thing to happen. Sorry to hear man. Are you sure the tanks were braced correctly? On a long tank like that, you'll need 2 braces along the full length and quite a wideish centre cross brace. Needless to say the surface needs to be level as well.

5. Chongkie

Chongkie

from my understanding, the general rule is 1 day per mm of glass. So if your glass is 6mm, then you have to wait 6 days for it to be fully cured.

I just built 2 tanks this past weekend. One 2ft (600x350x350) 10mm glass, and 4ft (1200x600x350) 10mm. no bracing, but will only do a water test in 10days time. Hopefully it all holds up.

6. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Also note that the 1d/mm is a guideline - you must have zero smell of bostik left in the tank. Glass must be very clean, no oils or bits stuck on it, even a finger print can cause issues. Care should be take to not have any fingerprints either.

Also my understanding - tip bracing is better done after the tank has cured, and the larger the tank the more time it take to do the job, I stand corrected but 2m tanks can take up to 2-3 weeks to build right, before it even sees a drop of water.

Late Ferdie

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  7. tanked72

tanked72

I'm sorry to hear I hope your 2nd attempt works out

8. PsyXe

PsyXe

I know that individual tubes of silicone can sometimes have something wrong with them and just never really cure.

9. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

I have received feedback three days later asking for a location so a rep can come and view, ive read up on the product and and stipulates 24 hours on a 3mm bead of silicone, and was cured, product also stipulates that its a very flexible adhesive sealant, the beads i removed after deconstruction had less stretch than normal silicone, me and a mate build a carbon copy to this tank november last year using cheap window and door silicone and no problems, i have in fact gone back to my preferred adhesive (geocel the works) after cleaning glass, silicone striper then acetone. tanks are cycling.

ps i have a big batch of dovii fry and urgently needed space but did not skimp on prep and construction.

10. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

@ f-fish, i understand the fact of cleaning the glass properly, but the problem was not that the silicone lost grip, in fact it stuck to the glass pretty well, i just found tht the the product was weak in the sense that the water pressure tore the silicone in half all the way down the joint.

11. Jwh

Jwh

My large tank cured for a week before braces went in and a full month before it was filled, sides are 20mm glass. I think you need to leave silicone to cure longer on glass, as the acetic acid cannot leach through glass and thus migrate through the cured silicone. I would leave it at least two weeks before filling.

12. neltf

neltf

What tipe of silicone do you guys use to build tanks? Only Marine silicone? I need to plug a 50mm hole on my 5ft...

13. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

neltf, geocel the works,i wont use anything else again.

14. neltf

neltf

Where do I get "geocel"?

15. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

i get mine at mica hardware

16. neltf

neltf

Never heard of it.. wil pop in tomorrow at mica...Thanks

17. Broder

Broder

Keen to see what the rep says. I've personally never had a problem with Bostik marine, even without waiting for full curing to occur before filling tanks.

18. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Hmm geocel does look interesting, never used it.

http://www.geocel.co.uk/images/uploads/data-sheets-pdfs/geocel_aquaria_product_info_tds.pdf

Cure Rate 3mm in 24 hours at 23°C and 50% RH
    Geocel® Aquaria is designed for construction andrepair of small domestic glass aquaria not larger than600mm by 900mm by 600mm.

BTW I have only seen the tearing of the silicon (i.e. bead is actually still stuck to the tank on all the contact points) if it was not cured properly before adding load or water in a tank. Maybe you just had a very bad batch or one that expired?

Later Ferdie

19. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

@ broder unfortunetly i told them to leave it as i had already started to disassemble the tanks my 1000l sprung a leak and my dovii had fry in that tank and they shared the tank with 4 midas growouts who took a beating, so i needed space urgently and seeing that im in the slowveld 10mm glass can be ordered and the biggest aquarium i could find for temporary housing was a 3ft at a vet, and i wont be doing that to any large cichlid

20. OP
    woestynbaber

woestynbaber

@f-fish i built my 135 us galon with geocel the works, 10mm glass in feb, no issues, also i but joined two 550x200 6mm glass as a lid for my overflow feels like one piece of glass ,actually chiped the one corner the other day wile holding on to opposite panel, still 100 percent

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts