Bluechem Pool Filter Sand - is it safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by LetMinnow, Nov 26, 2019.

1. LetMinnow

LetMinnow

Hello everyone,

I have started a new tank build, and I have decided to use pool filter sand for the first time. After some research, it turned out my local Builders had the cheapest filter sand, which I assumed to be unremarkable, run-of-the-mill filter sand.

At this Builders, there is policy of purchasing the sand before viewing the bag. I have just brought home the sand, and I have noticed a bunch of worrisome symbols on the packet that indicate it is toxic for aquatic life, and it should be not handled with bare hands, etc.

There is no text on the bag that describes what it is, nor can I find any description online.

Has anyone use this product before with good results? Is a good couple of rinses enough?

(I am struggling to attach the image, so here is the product link: https://www.builders.co.za/Garden-&...echem-Filter-Sand-(40kg)/p/000000000000620996)

2. Guest

3. chickenbeef

chickenbeef

I used the same sand in my tank and it worked fine. I rinsed it thoroughly, until the water was clear, before adding it to my tank.

LetMinnow, necris and DoubleDutch like this.
  4. necris

necris

Same, no issues noted as yet

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

LetMinnow likes this.
  5. A new day

A new day Moderator

I bought pfs from a pool maintenance shop so can’t say but should be fine / basically the same as the folks above said. Rinsing very well is very important.

LetMinnow likes this.
  6. A new day

A new day Moderator

@LetMinnow different topic but forgot to mention yesterday that, if you want to do the plant farm tank with no livestock you’ll have to also fertilize some macro elements (NPK) and not only trace elements like I do. Usually the fish poop provides all the macro elements plants need to grow (including nitrates).

Else take some of my platys to do the fertilization for you :)

Can give you cycled biomedia (Seachem Matix). If you don’t have a filter yet, look at something like a DoPhin F1200 for that tank size (around R300 at Stodel’s or Sam’s or Aquatics Warehouse). More or less the same price as a bottle of macro elements ferts.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  7. OP
    LetMinnow

LetMinnow

Thank you @chickenbeef and @necris for your input! I'll rinse it all to within an inch of its life.

@A new day , thank you so much for all your help and support! I did not even think of that yesterday.
    I actually do have an F1200 lying around somewhere. For the moment, we have split the plants over two tanks. The tall and well-rooted plants, like the vallis, are going over into the 1.2m "pond" tank outside, and the smaller java fern and susswassertang are in my tiny 15l tank inside until they are all big and strong. I have sponge filters in both (because I completely forgot about the F1200), but I can switch the 1.2m's sponge out for a F1200 - some cycled biomedia would be great when that happens, thanks!

However, at the moment my partner and I are just trying to really clean the pond because it has collected quite a bit while standing outside. When that is at an acceptable state, I'll PM you.

The 15l baby plant tank will look gorgeous later, though. I can't wait to post some pics; it was very much so a spur of the moment decision last night.

A new day likes this.
  8. A new day

A new day Moderator

Ok great! Yes start a thread and take us along on the journey :thumbup:

9. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

PFS is great and pool filter sand has a texture that works well in a tank. It will self level over time so try not to create a hill scape and think it will stay as is. Also watch for your overall substrate depth I would say 3cm max for PFS. It is totally inert so you will need to do water column dosing. Some plants will do just fine, others might need regular root tabs to promote growth.

Later Ferdie

PS if the water is still dusty even after the washing, just make a little water polisher - either DIY ( coke bottle and a power head ) or if you run a HOB fill it with batting.

T. Guppy, LetMinnow and A new day like this.
  10. necris

necris

I eventually tired of rinsing as needed and just set up a 110l pond tub outside and chucked it all in. The diy filter did all the rinsing and I saved masses of water and effort. Getting a new bag today and same process. Initial rinse or 2 then into the tub for a few hours, chucked a pump in toe keep circulation going

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

T. Guppy and LetMinnow like this.
  11. BradK

BradK

That the part i hate the most,,, all that wasted water. So how you stir up the gravel, while the pump is running.

12. A new day

A new day Moderator

With a chopstick and a wack of filter floss to catch the particles. Repeat a couple of times and strong filter needed.

I’m lucky that I have borehole water so can rinse the pfs in a crate on the lawn, with a hosepipe. I rinse it till I think it’s clear, then another 3 times. Plus then filter floss in the tank for at least a day or 2. Then it’s crystal clear.

13. chickenbeef

chickenbeef

The water is not wasted if you have a garden :cool:

A new day likes this.
  14. necris

necris

i have pfs dust stripes running down my lawn, wifey was not impressed

BradK and LetMinnow like this.
  15. OP
    LetMinnow

LetMinnow

Thank you for all the advice! Running a little water polisher sounds enticing, but I'll still give it a good rinse.

I unfortunately don't have a garden, but I think I may just pay some family a visit and offer to vigorously water their lawn.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

T. Guppy and A new day like this.

Recent Posts