Bettas

Discussion in 'JHB Aquarists' started by FishLover, Nov 10, 2012.

1. FishLover

FishLover

Hello guys. Charles... I saw that you have a lot of bettas. I REALLY want a pair of HM bettas!!! Pls could u send me some pics of some of the fish you have. I want to buy bettas from a breeder who will sell me a quality pair, and that looks like YOU! pls post some pics of a few of your best looking halfmoon males and females?. THANKS in advance.

2. Guest

3. Wyvren

Wyvren Retired Moderator

@FishLover - best will be to send him a pm or get his attention with a mention - to mention someone use @Personsname and there you go.

@Charles and @HennieRoux are the closest to you and they have stunning fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    FishLover

FishLover

Thanks Wyvren, I am still workin this forum out...

5. OP
    FishLover

FishLover

6. Charles

Charles

Hi @FishLover

Sorry for replying so late to your request. I have currently have young Purple Salamander HM's (male & female), Black Orchid HM's (male & female), Black Copper Dragon HM's (male & female) and some F2 fry (which is still very small) between a cross of Blue Fire Dragon HM male & a White HM female - both parents were imported A Grade Show Quality Betta's. I only breed from A Grade Show Quality Betta's.

Tell me, do you want to breed them or just keep them? What are you looking for with regards to colour etc.

Have a look at my post "Breeding New Imported Betta's" for some pics. Its been a while since I updated with latest pics and news, been busy. I will update it soon though.

7. OP
    FishLover

FishLover

Hey @Charles, thanks for the reply! I am looking to breed them. The male will be in a 7 gallon alone and the female in a 13 gallon community. I have a 7.5 gallon tank for the spawning and am looking at something to seperate the males with. What do you use to keep the males in when they are older? I am looking for any nice colours but would like blue or green fire or black copper. I only want halfmoon bettas. Thanks!!!!!

8. Charles

Charles

Hi @FishLover, I keep my male fry together up to the age of 4 months max in a 4ft tank with lots of plants and hidding places. After that I use Betta barracks that is placed within the same 4ft tank. I also use 1ft tanks which I divide in three with drilled perspex sheets. I recently had a 3ft tank with 9 divisions with a biofilter built in at the back lenght wise specially built for my top breeding males.

When breeding these stunning fish you will have to look into "Jarring" them unfortunately. 1 Liter plastic seethrough tubs works well with a 100% WC every 3 days max. Some spawns deliver 400 fry, happend to me 3 times, believe me when I tell you it keeps you busy. It is very time consuming. Smaller spawns between 20 to 50 are much more manageable. Ageing your water is a must and hiegene even more so. Heat the room so the temp in the jars is at least 24*C. Thus the room temp should be around 26-27*C. Winter up that to 28-29*C. Please do propper research before even attempting to spawn them. They spawn fairly easy but raising healthy fry to adulthood is another story. Try to keep the line pure. Don't breed Double tail to Double tail, fry will be misformed. Do DT to HM, CT, VT, SD, D etc. All fry will have DT gene, then cross back to DT again to get DT's. Just a thought.

9. OP
    FishLover

FishLover

Thanks @Charles , I have spawned bettas before but as u said the hard part is raising the fry! I have done my research and have learnt my lesson!! I am so intrigued by these fish and absolutely LOVE them! As for the pair i want to buy from you...... I would like to buy a black copper male and female HM pair. Pls could you post a few pics of some of the ones I can buy?! I would like a pair of young (5 or so months) bettas. If you have a better suggestion for a pair Pls tell me! PLEASE post some pics.......

10. Charles

Charles

Hi @FishLover, just posted pics as per your request. See post "Breeding New Imported Betta's" for F1 Black Copper/Silver Dragons HM's & F1 Purple Salamander HM's.

Recent Posts