Best Lighting to use in a fishroom....??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, May 4, 2014.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Retired moderator

I have removed everything from the fishroom to do a complete make-over... It used to be just 'n brick building in the corner of the garden, but I'm having it plastered out... painted in bright white... all air bricks sealed... roof insulated to keep the heat in..... full carpeting on the floors... additional electrical plugs fitted to all walls.....fan heater installed on temp control thermostat..and... replacing the one incandescent light bulb currently illuminating the room....

My question is.... What would be the best illumination to install in the room to provide adequate lighting for those tanks not fitted with their own lights??.... I plan to set up around 30 tanks inside the fishroom....

2. Guest

3. andries

andries

Depends on size of the room and finances available. First choice would be top of the range LED down-lighters. Expensive to install first time but running cost and durability make up the cost. Second would be double T8 flouro's. Third would be CFL's.

4. JJFury

JJFury

Well, the only advice I can offer is on what not to do. I have a tank in the kitchen where I use a small LED light to illuminate the tank. As this is a paludarium type setup, the light is relatively high up.

One of the issues I found was that when you sit in front of it staring into the tank, the light also illuminates your face and you can clearly see your own reflection in the glass. I suspect the way to fix this would be to ensure that you don't put the lights above the tank, or at least make sure you screen the onlookers from the light.

5. Vis

Vis Gerhard

Well first off I would not carpet the place, unless you never spill.

For lighting if I were doing a fish room over which included the roof I would go with sky light for the day.
    There are not really light that can from roof height help with plant growth unless you growing some moss on the top to middle tanks.

Fluorescent light will be my first choice and if you have money to spend LED. Lets say you put up tanks against three walls I would for a VERY bright fish room do 54W dual ballast against each wall.

6. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Would love to do this .. skylight, use the natural sunlight?

Recent Posts