bad run of luck

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by top dog, Jan 15, 2020.

1. top dog

top dog

hey guys
    I am always sharing the good of this hobby brings me and the happiness it has bought me for many years. so hoping if i share the bad it will help me pick up the peaces and carry on.

late last year in all the load shedding madness the transformer that supplies power to my suburb was damaged when the power surged coming back on and as a result i was left with out power for 16hour. I had a ammonia spike in my ray tank, my municipal water was higher in ammonia than the tank water. i was basically left to watch my ray suffer while i was left hoping for power so i could do a water change with prepared i had waiting but with no way to pump the water into my tank.
    my baby black diamond sting ray ravioli was in a really bad way, i spend days trying but sadly lost her on christmas eve.
    I was busy upgrading my water preparation system so that every 3 days i was able to have 1500ltr of clean water, but i am currently a touch lost and have not done anything since i lost ravioli.
    very lucky to still have my older ray crumpet.

hoping to get over the crap and back to enjoying it all soon

2. Guest

3. Whoknows

Whoknows

Sorry for your loss. Hope things improve soon to where you feel you want to try again. She was a very pretty

A new day and top dog like this.
  4. iMG

iMG

ahhh man, that sucks, i had my 5ft display burst a seam on the curved glass edge last year, 30+ adult african cichlids ended up squeezed into an emergency 2ft tank, had to sell them all as a matter of urgency and start over, now i have a planted 5ft community tank, and i love it way more than the africans ... It always works out in the end :)

Hope you get back into enjoying it soon ...

5. Logz

Logz

That really is a crappy thing to happen to a person, and its even worse that its another Eishkom story....

But one thing I have learned (similar experience but nothing near as bad as yours) is that there are so many ways to go about learning from these things, and for me it almost made me want to work at it more to make sure it can't happen again, or if it does that I am at least prepared for the worst so the fish can keep on swimming right way up.

But going over your situation, it really is a tough one to prepare for... Not only is the power out but the municipal water isn't playing ball... I would be interested to see some thoughts on this kind of situation and how other people have dealt/prepared for this kind of thing :)

Good luck with finding the place where you left off, never easy but sometimes a break is a good way to rediscover things :)

6. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

We are sorry for your loss @top dog ....

This hobby is not always kind to us... we have had a few heartaches too .... not nice...
    Not sure why these milestones get thrown at us but as @Logz said, we constantly trying to find a way for things not to happen again, sometimes its just beyond our control

Be positive.... i now its not easy... but it will come right

A new day, Logz and top dog like this.
  7. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Sorry for your loss. Always terrible to lose a prized fish.

A new day likes this.
  8. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

9. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

So sorry to read this! It's very heartbreaking!

10. OP
    top dog

top dog

thanks for the feed back guys,
    @MariaS thank you so much for the help and support always.
    there is always a solution, just have to figure it. motivation will come once i have a plan and most importantly i have started thinking on what to do

MariaS and A new day like this.
  11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Always a pleasure

You need a good break and Im sure you will find a way..

12. andries

andries

Seems the problem was not able to pump treated water into your tanks. Get a paraffin hand pump, the one with the cranking handle. Available at Co-ops or good hardware stores.

top dog and MariaS like this.
  13. Toy

Toy

I always try to learn from unfortunate events such as Top Dog's and apply the solution to my own circumstances.

Luckily for me the load shedding we had was max 2,5 hours and could be remedied with a simple battery backup on the air-pump.

We had a 24 hour break when the overhead power cables shorted this new-year but the sound system could easily muffle the generators noise xD

But a 16 hour or more break in power while you are not a home would have devastating effects on even the most established tanks.

Trying to think out of the box here to find a solution should something similar happen.

Besides dumping all the bio-media directly into the main tank and using a battery operated air-pump for oxygenation there is a more practical, but also more costly solution.

Maybe invest in a few 100 ah deep cycle batteries and run them with a charger hooked up via a relay to a 24v powerhead.

A 25 watt should be able to run for about 4 days while a 50 watt pump will run for 2 days.

Two 100ah 12v batteries will cost between R3000 to R4000, deep cycle charger should be around R 700. Add a few hundred for the cables and relays and your sett.

The Jebao (Jecod) DCP Sine Wave Pump Series - DCP-3000 (R1700) or DCP-6500 (R2300) should work great.

Total between R5700 and R7500.

I am very sorry for your loss Top Dog and hope that we can learn from it.

MariaS likes this.
  14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Good idea @Toy

Would these batteries just run your air pump or would the cope with a return pump in the sump as well

15. Toy

Toy

Yes, you could hook up a small inverter to the batteries which will supply the air-pumps but ideally you would want to get a 24v air pump which can run directly from the batteries.

There is always about a 15% loss of efficiency when converting battery power to AC so it is best to use equipment to run directly from the DC supply.

The 15% could make a big difference during extended power outages...

The return pump is also 24v, so during normal power schedule the pump uses it's own power supply unit, but when the main power drops, the relay kicks open and connects the pump directly to the 2 x 12v batteries.

These batteries will be charged during normal power supply from the mains by an intelligent deep cycle charger.

You can even use smaller batteries if you want to cover normal load-shedding.

MariaS and top dog like this.
  16. Toy

Toy

If you do not already have a 24v dc powerhead it would actually be cheaper just to get a small inverter and hook it up to batteries.

A cheaper option will be to get hold of a old pc ups (the 2 x battery 24v type) and hook that up to larger external batteries - works great xD

top dog likes this.
  17. OP
    top dog

top dog

thank you for the advise @Toy
    have a few issuse i am trying to resolve
    biggest being the 12 meters between my tank and clean water.
    i also have a problem that my water transfer pump and circulation pump in my filter are 400watts so the batter back up prices bought tears to my eyes.
    but i am considering it still, cleared space under my tank to fit the ups now i just need the funds.
    hoping to figure out a way with body corporate to raise clean water tank so in future it can be done with gravity but realistically i do not see them allowing me to have a jojo tank raised 2meter in my garden

Whoknows and MariaS like this.
  18. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thanks @Toy, makes sense

@top dog ,

How is yyour tap water now, any improvement?

19. OP
    top dog

top dog

tap water has definitely improved thanks to all the rain
    but still not clean good water unfortunately, quite worried for winter with no rain

MariaS likes this.
  20. Whoknows

Whoknows

Why don't you get some cheap dc pumps to use as transfer/backup pumps? They should be more power efficient

21. OP
    top dog

top dog

problem is distance and amount of water
    tried my dcp 6500 after seed was planted and it does not have enough head to get water from drum to tank
    so not really sure what to do. also budget looking very kak at the moment so need to make money used work for now

Whoknows likes this.

Recent Posts