Back to livebearers

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by SalmonAfrica, Mar 9, 2019.

1. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

With the way my work day goes, I figured I'd settle into easy-to-keep, forgiving fishes. These are some of the species I never had a chance to work with previously. Honestly, they're a great change of pace from what I'm used to, and like to pose every now and then, which is a big plus for me.

After a while, I'm hoping to try out some other species of livebearer, like the rarer types (like Limia) or maybe a halfbeak species. Time will tell.

So, I guess, here are my livebearers.

Endler's livebearer (Poecilia wingei)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sailfin molly (Poecilia velifera)
    The female isn't as keen on staying still for the camera. I'm working on it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reedfish likes this.
  2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Great idea .... life is such a rush towards death, why not take it easy when you do get the time to relax.

Same same goes for planted tanks .. sure one can scape a grassy ground cover - but that takes more effort than doing outside with the real thing.

Later Ferdie

Innocent159 likes this.
  4. OP
    SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Fry have, as expected, been falling out of the Endlers continuously. But the mollies... don't seem so keen. I did read that they're not as prolific with their young as other livebearers. Might have to consider lighting some candles and playing Barry White.

[​IMG]
    (this one popped out today sometime!)

And side by side of two species equally eager for food, always front facing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Reedfish and MariaS like this.
  5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Nice @SalmonAfrica

Those little endlers have absolutely amazing colours

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@SalmonAfrica

Very nice :cool:

Perhaps the Mollies are a bit more sensitive to water conditions.
    Is the water hard enough for them??

7. OP
    SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Thanks! Although I can imagine these aren't close to the high end strains I've seen and heard about. One day maybe!

In my area, the water out the tap is a little hard, enough that it makes me second guess considering many soft water species.

In this regard I'm lucky with my current stock. From what I've read, though, is that they just need a touch more conditioning than other livebearers to get the ball rolling.

Reedfish likes this.
  8. Bart

Bart

Love the sailfin male. It has a more natural look. I started breeding them a long time back and stopped due to moving. End of last year I started again, I made a few changes since the last time I bred them. I started with 2 males a black and orange and 6 females, brown, white, orange marble and so on. In my first harvest I removed 70, 5cm sailfin molies. I conditioned them and yesterday I cleaned the tub outside. The tub I am using is a 500l, after cleaning I put all my mollies in. I think I have about 300 sailfin molies nowo_O? But I am removing some strains that I do not want.

But just love them and they are my go to fish in everything. Best of luck and hope they breed soon.

Recent Posts